2014 Cleveland Gun Buy Back

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Only vote in this poll if you're attending. No need to vote no.

Poll ended at Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Yes I am attending (roll call)
42%
I can't read directions
58%

Total votes: 19

jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

2014 Cleveland Gun Buy Back

Post by jgarvas »

They're doing it again:
2014 Gun Buy Back Announced

CLEVELAND – Mayor Frank G. Jackson and Chief of Police Calvin D. Williams proudly announce that the 2014 City of Cleveland Gun Buy-Back will be held on Saturday, September 6, 2014, at Public Safety Central located at 2001 Payne Avenue. In exchange for operable handguns or semi-automatic weapons (Assault weapons), citizens will be given a either a $100 (handguns) or $200 (semi-automatic weapons) Target, gas or food gift card and two tickets to an upcoming Cavaliers and Lake Erie Monsters game.
If you have a semi-automatic assault weapon you should probably keep it because such a unicorn would be worth more than a $200 gift certificate to Target of all places.

For the past few years a number of people from the forums have gone down to this event and offered cash for firearms successfully. There is a buffer zone setup by the police department but there is no state law prohibiting a cash transaction. In fact, ORC 9.68 prevents the City from regulating the sale of a firearm between two people:
ORC 9.68 wrote: ...Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition....
Community members are being told to this is how to participate:
How to Participate:

1. Bring a working handgun or semi-automatic rifle (Assault Rifle) to Public Safety Central located at 2001 Payne Avenue on Saturday, September 6, 2014, between the hours of 8:30a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

2. The weapon must be unloaded in a clear plastic bag inside a second container (gym bag, backpack, etc.)

3. Transport the unloaded and properly bagged weapon locked in the trunk of your vehicle.

4. Pack ammunition separately. Non semi-automatic rifles and shotguns can be turned in but NO incentive will be given.

5. Cleveland Police Officers will inspect the weapon to ensure that it is operable.

6. After the officers determine that the weapon is operable a $100 gift card will be given to those who turn in a handgun and a $200 gift card to those who turn in a semi-automatic rifle (Assault Rifle).

7. Everyone surrendering a gun will be provided with a ticket voucher for a pair of tickets to a Lake Erie Monsters or Cleveland Gladiators game.
What we can glean from this:

1. We can gather around the vicinity of 2001 Payne Avenue and encourage anyone driving up to the event to consider a CASH offer instead of a gift card.
2. Firearms will be perfectly wrapped for inspection!
3. Although they're telling people to bring an unloaded firearm we should probably make sure since all firearms are always loaded.
4. There may be ammunition for sale too!
5. We can do the same thing ourselves :)
6. Wait - $200 for an assault RIFLE now? Surely those are worth much more :)
7. Maybe we should put everyone into a raffle for some tickets? :)

This is what 2100 Payne Avenue looks like from across the street:

Image too large to embed
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: 2014 Cleveland Gun Buy Back

Post by Mr. Glock »

So, I guess in Cleveland, pump action riot shotguns aren't worth getting off the street? I wonder the number of crimes committed with a shotgun vs a semi-automatic assault rifle (of which none exists in the world....but even the way define it) in Cleveland.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
BobK

Post by BobK »

Mr. Glock wrote:So, I guess in Cleveland, pump action riot shotguns aren't worth getting off the street?...
If the buyback price is $0.00, then offers of $20 or $30 wins the auction!
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

BobK wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:So, I guess in Cleveland, pump action riot shotguns aren't worth getting off the street?...
If the buyback price is $0.00, then offers of $20 or $30 wins the auction!
The funny thing is if there is anything I'm in the market for other than a couple of revolvers it'd be those guns they're not giving away any gift cards for :)
Jeff Garvas, President

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

BobK

Post by BobK »

jgarvas wrote:The funny thing is if there is anything I'm in the market for other than a couple of revolvers it'd be those guns they're not giving away any gift cards for :)
Then barter a 12-pack of Colt 45 and a pack of cigarettes. :mrgreen: :lol:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
OxJaw

Post by OxJaw »

Think they would give gift cards for stripped ar lowers? :lol:

I wouldn't mind at least doubling my money on a couple I have! :twisted:
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

The found in Boston some gun stores were dumping stock that wouldn't move in exchange for gift cards because the stock cost less than the awards. :)
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I notice it's not a "no questions asked" buyback, so I guess they are not interested in getting questionable items off the street for disposal either.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Bruenor wrote:I notice it's not a "no questions asked" buyback, so I guess they are not interested in getting questionable items off the street for disposal either.
Or causing people to go steal guns from people they know over the next few days just to turn in.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If this were truly about crime prevention of any kind, they would be offering $100 for long guns and $200 for handguns.

Handguns ARE still used more often than long guns during crimes, right?
MyWifeSaidYes
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:If this were truly about crime prevention of any kind, they would be offering $100 for long guns and $200 for handguns.

Handguns ARE still used more often than long guns during crimes, right?
Are they only accepting "assault" rifles not normal semi-auto rifles?
1. Bring a working handgun or semi-automatic rifle (Assault Rifle) to Public Safety Central located at 2001 Payne Avenue on Saturday, September 6, 2014, between the hours of 8:30a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hey, it looks like Garvas is "working the OFCC table at a gun show", sort of. :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
iShoot

Post by iShoot »

If they're giving out Target gift cards, no need to involve the police.

Cut out the middleman....bring your guns directly to Targ....uhhhh.....nevermind....that's probably a bad idea.

Good luck to all who are there Saturday. Hope you get some good stuff at rock bottom prices.
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

Should be fun. I can't wait. 8)
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Ohioans for Concealed Carry Protests Cleveland Gun “Buy Back”

September 3, 2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ohioans for Concealed Carry and other gun rights activists will protest the City of Cleveland’s annual gun “Buy Back” on Saturday, September 6th. Some participants will compete with the city’s program by offering cash (as opposed to city-issued gift-cards) for legally owned firearms in working condition. All activities will be conducted in strict accordance with the state’s firearms laws.

Each year the Cleveland Police Department claims that the gun buy-back event “will save someone’s life,” but there is not one shred of evidence that any of the firearms turned in have ever been associated with violent crime.

Last February, a Boston Globe article questioned the efficacy of gun buy-back programs, noting that “there is no compelling evidence that gun buyback programs are an effective crime-fighting tool or that they reduce the rates of crime.” The city of Boston subsequently discontinued their efforts to “buy back” firearms.
So why does the City of Cleveland insist on continuing their expensive buy-back program?

Urban crime – a complex problem that isn’t disappearing anytime soon – causes politicians to appear chronically ineffective. That’s not good politics. So city administrations -- like Mayor Jackson’s -- divert voters’ attention to a decoy issue they claim is the “real problem,” and on which they can seem up to the task: guns. If you can’t control criminals’ behavior – the real cause of all crime – blame the guns, even the ones in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

Cleveland’s violent youth and gang population will continue to kill people before and after the Cleveland Police Department’s “Buy Back,” confirming that these events are nothing but the collection of irrelevant firearms for the purpose of political theatre. OFCC’s presence near the city’s buy-back event is designed to call attention to the wasteful and cynical nature of the program.

--END--
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?