2014 Tony Gordon Memorial Award

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: 2014 Tony Gordon Memorial Award

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

What?
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Brett Pucillo just posted this on the Ohio Carry page
I think it is a fine example of "exceptional work to promote, support, or expand gun rights in Ohio."
This kid's on a roll, I'm telling you,,,,

Here at Ohio Carry we are sometimes put in a position to answer tough questions. What we do isn't always popular, and isn't always easy. I received an email this morning, and I feel that more than just this person has a similar feeling or question about what we do. I am going to post the email, but redact the name to protect personal identity. I am also going to post our response so hopefully it will answer any of your questions and calm any of your concerns.

"First of all I am a firm supporter of the 2nd ammendment am currently and have for many yeaes been a member of the NRA. But I am confused about your organization's agenda, and the reprocussions your actives have on many of our 2nd ammendment rights.

Why is it every time you guys get a rally going we lose more places to carry.

Please consider just being happy we CAN carry and be quiet. The louder you speak the more people pay attention.

I understand it's your right to carry, and I don't dispute that, I carry open or concealed every where I go and nobody notices, ever! However if there's a group of us, all swinging ARs and Shotguns around people would get concerned, even though it's our right. They then write the companies or stores and the companies are forced to take action, again, even though it is our right!

If you and your group are in such need of attention and recognition, I would suggest you all walk around the streets in thongs and sandals, after all its also legal and it's your right. Sometimes it may be your right, but not a good idea to shove it in someone's face.

The point I'm trying to make is, to date the rallies/walks you have sponsored have yet to help our cause, and have only hurt it.

Sometimes, even though it's your right, there is a time for quiet restraint.

Just a thought,

(Name redacted)"

Here is our response:

"(Name redacted), unfortunately you are basing your judgements on nothing but what you see in the media. First of all, open carry rallies and protests are only a small part of what we do as a whole. Every one we do serves a purpose.

Second, we had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with ANY business posting a no guns sign. To date, Ohio Carry has never been responsible for a sign going up, but has been responsible for a few signs coming down.

Third, we are NOT Open Carry Texas. We do NOT carry long guns into private businesses! Never have, never will.

Ohio Carry and average open carriers had NOTHING to do with Targets decision. This was propagated by a handful of people who chose to carry long guns into private businesses without their permission, and in turn put them in the spot light and forced a decision they didn't like.

Ohio Carry has never caused a business to post because any rally we have takes place on public property, and our members are far too smart and well versed to carry long guns into a private business.

You also said that our rallies have yet to help our cause... I have already shown you that they have not HURT our cause, but let me also tell you how they have helped.

In Massillon there was an ordinance prohibiting open carry, which is obviously invalid. We were told that if we came to Massillon open carrying, we would be arrested. We organized a rally, worked with a city councilman, and got the ordinance changed. During our walk we had Massillon firefighters, police officers off duty, and even the councilman all open carried with us and it was a great event.

In Boardman, there was an ordinance prohibiting any carry in Boardman parks. We organized a rally in the park and had news crews show up. The ordinance was changed the next week with an apology.

In Akron, a Dicks Sporting Goods was collecting a registry of every firearm sold and all personal info of people and turning it over to Akron PD. Akron PD told them they had to. We called corporate, organized a rally and prepared a lawsuit. Corporate called Akron police and let them know that they would no longer be doing this and would be following state law. Then APD called us and assigned a special prosecutor to bring all of their ordinances up to date.

My point is, our public rallies take place on public property and all have a point. They are effective and promote change. They also spread education and normalize the act of open carry. Most of our officers and members DO NOT carry long guns. We keep it pistols only, however a small number of people do choose to carry long guns responsibly. Unfortunately that is ALL you will see in the news.

Anyway, I challenge you to find anything negative that has happened in Ohio because of our organization. We had absolutely nothing to do with the incidents you mentioned. We will continue to fight for our rights the best way we know how, and how we have been doing successfully the past two years. We hope you will join us for an event sometime to meet us and see who we really are. We will be in a 4th of July Parade near Columbus tomorrow, and will be having a large picnic in Toledo on July 19.

Thank you for taking the time to write and express your frustration, however I hope you will direct that frustration to the true problem; people open carrying long guns into private businesses without permission.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Great response... Glad he set the record straight of who is to blame... I am a firm 2A supporter... I have open carried my AR when I lived in Alabama... But I did it on public grounds at the state Capitol.... I will never support so called 2A supporters, when they disregard private property rights... True these businesses are open to the public, but it would be no different if one of us owned a business and let 1st A supporters come in and heckle our customers... I am sure that even though we support the 1st A... We wouldn't let folks run paying customers away.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The decision is made. The 2014 Tony Gordon Award recipient will be Brett Pucillo

Please join me as I offer my warmest congratulations and best wishes for the future,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

You mean Bruce? :lol:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

LOL, yeah, "Bruce",,,,
Ain't activism fun?

curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Congratulations Brett, keep up the good work. 8)