Wilmington Appleseed, June 2014

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Wilmington Appleseed, June 2014

Post by Mustang380gal »

It's already sold out, with a waiting list. Here is the current Ohio schedule.

One of those attending the Wilmington shoot suggested this event get its own thread. Here it is.

How many from here are going?
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
dirtdawg

Re: Wilmington Appleseed, June 2014

Post by dirtdawg »

In
Dirtdawg
NRA Member, Clinton County Farmer's and Sportsmen Association Director
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Instructor; Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, PPITH
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I'm bringing Tactical Tumbler. She wants to get the AR making hits at 200 yards.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

I will definitely be there Saturday. I'm not 100% certain about Sunday. The weather forecast looks favorable thus far!

Weather: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... all&smap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Voice

Post by Voice »

I was hoping to, but my schedule wasn't clear. Anybody planning on the August one, or any of the Miamisburg options?
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

How many are typically at an event at one time?

For the Wilmington event, myself, my wife, my 27 year old son and his girlfriend, my brother, and his to boys, age 9 and 12, ( think I have their ages correct) will all be there. We are camping at nearby Cowan lake on Friday night and Saturday night. We are all really looking forward to being there.

We downloaded the checklist. Any other pointers on what we should expect, or what we should bring, that isnt covered in the FAQ?
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
dirtdawg

Post by dirtdawg »

We will have lunch available for about $7. Our volunteers put a lot of effort into the meals, so please consider buying lunch at the club.
Dirtdawg
NRA Member, Clinton County Farmer's and Sportsmen Association Director
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Instructor; Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, PPITH
Voice

Post by Voice »

Heh. Actually, I *will* be there. Apparently, back in March, before I knew other plans were made for this weekend, I signed up. Just got the reminder email, so now I'm panicking a bit about getting everything together. I think I have all the requirements, but they're not gathered up.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

tbrew85 wrote:How many are typically at an event at one time?

For the Wilmington event, myself, my wife, my 27 year old son and his girlfriend, my brother, and his to boys, age 9 and 12, ( think I have their ages correct) will all be there. We are camping at nearby Cowan lake on Friday night and Saturday night. We are all really looking forward to being there.

We downloaded the checklist. Any other pointers on what we should expect, or what we should bring, that isnt covered in the FAQ?
Mr. Glock did a great write up with how to prepare and what to expect a few years ago.

I just got off night shift, and don't think I am alert enough to search. It would be worth the read if you find it. Sorry I'm too groggy.

How many attend depends on the range. This one has 24 registered. It's a good instruction team, too. 1 blue hat(helper), 3 orange hats(in training), 2 red hats (full instructors), and Slim is shoot boss. It is going to be great!

(If i had ledt my typos, you'd know i am not kidding about being groggy.)
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

And still one of the best articles ever written, by MrGlock :)

An Appleseed Primer: What to bring and expect
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Thank you, Birdman!!
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

WOW.....Im exhausted.

Myself and several members of my family attended this event. What an awesome weekend. For those that are like me, that have thought about going but just never got around to it, or have been putting it off for one reason or another; Stop putting it off and JUST GO. You wont regret it. This event was ran very, very well. I'm not very good with names but I do remember some of the "handles". I sincerely want to thank Mustang380Gal, Dirtdawg, "Slim", Longrifle (or was it longrifleman?), Corvette, and everyone else that taught me so much, and in a very pleasant way. What a great group of people. Ive got to pick another date and go back so I can take my daughter. She would enjoy it too. HUZZAH!

Oh, and I got a Rifleman patch. :mrgreen:
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Voice

Post by Voice »

Congrats on getting your rifleman patch!

I'll echo the rest of that. Despite having issues with my 10/22 that were eventually diagnosed as some form of obstruction at the barrel/chamber interface, I had a great deal of fun, and learned a lot! My post-lunch frustration of day 1 gave way to a relieved 'ah ha!' at that point. Turns out that its *hard* to hit the target when your rounds are tumbling down range. Go figure...
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

I, too, was exhausted. So much so that I couldn't convince myself to spend another long day in the sun, especially when the forecast was a few degrees higher. So, I wimped out and only attended Saturday.

I started Saturday not knowing proper unsupported shooting positions and wasn't even able to put 3 rounds in the simulated 100 yard redcoat target with a Ruger 10/22 with TechSights. I finished Saturday not only putting 3 in the 100 yard redcoat, but 3 in the 200 yard and 3 in the 300 yard! Alas, on the AQT target we used before the final redcoat, I counted my score to about 107 after excluding errant shots from previous stages. I have a LOT of work to do to improve, and I question whether I can do it at all with iron sights. We'll see what practice yields now that I have some understanding of what to practice.

It was nice to meet some fellow OFCC forum members!
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

FYI, there is an Appleseed in Salem June 28-29th.
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/salem-oh-ap ... 0556058455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;