Wilmington Appleseed, June 2014

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tbrew85

Re: Wilmington Appleseed, June 2014

Post by tbrew85 »

Curzyk wrote: and I question whether I can do it at all with iron sights.
Curzyk, that was my concern too. I have the tech sites, but I put a $29 Bushnell scope from wall mart on my 10/22 and, after a lot of quality instruction, I did well with it. I doubt I could have done as well with the iron sights. Now that I know I can quickly zero a scope or a sight, on my next Appleseed, I think I will try the tech sites, just to see if I can see that far.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

tbrew85 wrote:
Curzyk wrote: and I question whether I can do it at all with iron sights.
Curzyk, that was my concern too. I have the tech sites, but I put a $29 Bushnell scope from wall mart on my 10/22 and, after a lot of quality instruction, I did well with it. I doubt I could have done as well with the iron sights. Now that I know I can quickly zero a scope or a sight, on my next Appleseed, I think I will try the tech sites, just to see if I can see that far.
I have a nice scope for mine, but I figured I would try the recommended approach first and see if I could do okay. My issue is that the sight picture is so small that the front post is basically the width of the 100 yard redcoat. I intend to practice more to see if I can tighten up my groups and figure out the minuscule sight picture differences.

I was also almost always one of the first people done shooting. I need to take my time and pace myself better. I feel that this will come with being able to distinguish best sight pictures.

If all else fails, I will add my scope and build up a cheek pad so that I can actually have a cheek weld when using the scope. I am fairly confident that I could shoot Rifleman with a scope and a little patience. :-)
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

The front post being wide isn't really a problem if you do 6 o'clock hold. Garand front sights are 7 MOA wide. Part of Known Distance is knowing how wide your front sight is in MOA so that you can estimate the range at which you are shooting.

That being said, iron sights are like everything else in shooting--replaceable. If you don't like the front sight being as wide as it is, do some research, and replace it with something more to your liking. Some rear sights have a larger aperture, which widens the sight picture. That may be helpful to you.

The Ruger that I brought with me that was on the line for a while late Saturday has different sights than most Rugers. Ted found a sight system that he thought would best meet our daughter's needs, even though it is kind of unusual.

Keep in mind that tight groups are Steady Hold Factors + NPOA + 6 Steps. If you practice the Steady Hold Factors, sight picture should become almost automatic. Don't fuss for the perfect picture, but one that you can replicate consistently.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!