IPDA and USPSA style shoots in NE Ohio

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mike45Acp

IPDA and USPSA style shoots in NE Ohio

Post by Mike45Acp »

Every Saturday night at the Midwest Gun Club, in Canal Fulton, is competition night. Events alternate between IPDA and USPSA style shoots. Registration is at 8 PM and shoots usually run thru 10:30 PM with at least 3 courses of fire. IDPA nights usually wrap up with a low light or no night COF. Schedule and contact information can be found at http://www.midwestgunclub.com.

Bowling Pin & PPC matches are also held thru the month. A new weekly poker tournament starts each week and runs Tuesday to Sunday.
GWC

Post by GWC »

What does it cost to compete?
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
Mike45Acp

Post by Mike45Acp »

IDPA and USPSA shoots are $10 per person and both events usually have 3 courses of fire. Round count is usually around 50 for IDPA (up to 18 rounds per COF) and 100 for USPSA (sometimes 22-25 rounds per COF). As far as equipment, we recommend a holster that covers the trigger guard and at least 3 mags (mag pouches are encouraged but not required). The third IDPA COF is usually a no/low light exercise so flashlights are recommended - did I mention we are a Surefire dealer (shameless plug).

Dates for training and shoots are posted on web site at http://www.midwestgunclub.com
Discipline

Post by Discipline »

Mike,

Can you watch the matches? I would love to get into something like that.

I also have a son that is 14, can he do it too?
Mike45Acp

Post by Mike45Acp »

Discipline wrote:Mike,

Can you watch the matches? I would love to get into something like that.

I also have a son that is 14, can he do it too?
Discipline,

You and your son are welcome to come and watch (and/or participate in) our IDPA & USPSA matches any saturday night. Most people that come out to watch usually end up playing. I will warn you, the fun is contageous.

There is some basic equipment that is needed (please call the store for details - phone number on the website http://www.midwestgunclub.com).

Thanks,

Mike
Harlie

Discipline

Post by Harlie »

You and your son should bring your gear and participate. Watching isn't quite the same. The only way to feel the action is to try it out. You will be pleased that you did, I'll bet. Low light or no light for any who hasn't done this, it is very educational and every one should try it. Guess when you are most likely to need your self protction tools?
Keep a keen mind, eye and edge.
INFIDEL, armed, angry and unapolegetic
Ole man from Thunder Mtn
Politicians & diapers should be changed often, both for the same reason
Discipline

Post by Discipline »

My 14 year old son and I participated in our first IDPA meet this past Sunday.(West Point,Ohio) Great time and lots of fun. Son showed dad he's not a spring chicken anymore. Someone told him he got 6th place, now he wants me to get another 40 for him to use. On the way home, he told me "this was a good day, probably the best ever" Next day he handed me a piece of paper with Midwest Gun Club on it. They have IDPA every Saturday night.
You,You, and You.....Panic The rest of you come with me.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Discipline, you are a lucky man. Just makes you want to smile doesn't it?
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
Harlie

Glad

Post by Harlie »

Very pleased that you participated instead of watching. Shooting isn't very interesting to watch, unless you can learn something. The young man will develope fast, better get some track shoes, in an effort to keep up.
Ole man from Thunder Mtn
XD40cal

Post by XD40cal »

Doing my first one this Sat.
I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

A friend and I made it Saturday - a first IDPA event for both of us. I'm really impressed by the facility at Midwest - nice range. Very friendly group, welcomed us and got us right into the mix. Had a great time, scored in the bottom 1/4 of the group, and got to shoot low-light for the first time ever. I'll look forward to doing it again.
They also have a nice-looking showroom and some good choices in their cases.

Dave
Harlie

Welcome aboard

Post by Harlie »

Welcome to IDPA, I'm curious about your first low light experience. Was it enlighting, or was it just another experience?
Ole man from Thunder Mtn
BIG SHAFE

Post by BIG SHAFE »

I may stop and watch before I try it out.

What all is needed (equipment) to do these matches?
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Hi Harlie...enlightening, in that it pointed out there's more to it than just lighting up the target. I found it harder to move and pick out the target and focus on the front sight when you're the source of the light than it is when there's adequate light - it really changes the way things look. It's sad to be the guy holding the light and still feel a bit like the deer caught in the headlights.

Probably the top difficulty/difference I found was trying to focus on the front sight...the light lights up the target, but it backlights the sights, so I found that to be distracting, because it looks different than usual.

So, this is something that will definitely take some more practice.

Any suggestions?

Dave
Harlie

Practice

Post by Harlie »

Yes that word again practice. I view IDPA as a practice format, and as possible prep' for a real encounter. Supposedly the FBI statistics indicate a large portion of conflicts involvling a firearm occurs during hours of darkness, and low light conditions. Therefore your experience has shown that it's not a matter of simple indexing the handgun and you will be able to survive a typical encounter. Nights sights (?), equipped (?), found them to be a essential addition to tool kit, IMHO. Target ID, shot placement in vital areas, will, as you have seen, require some work. More low light practice and determine which light and technique works for you. Reloads are difficult when handling a light, learn what works to allow a reasonably quick reload. May never need the use, but it's too late to learn how when needed despertely. Enjoy the journey.
Ole man from Thunder Mtn