Tactical Shotgun

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

PAJOHNOHIO
User Requested Deactivation

Tactical Shotgun

Post by PAJOHNOHIO »

Off to TDI this weekend for their Tactical Shotgun Course. Not sure what to expect, but if it is anything like their handgun courses, I am confident I am coming back well trained.

Have not shot much shotgun, so this will be a totally new experience.

Has anyone here taken this course at TDI?

Peace,

John
<i>"You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall."</i> <b>-A Few Good Men-</b>
GWC

Post by GWC »

I have not taken this class (yet), but they stick with the same principles regardless of the weapon system. Any training you have taken there in the past will help you.
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Might want to consider a shoulder pad, a LE friend of mind said he was bruised for a week.
PAJOHNOHIO
User Requested Deactivation

Completed tacticat Shotgun at TDI

Post by PAJOHNOHIO »

OMG! What an awesome course this was at TDI www.tdiohio.com

I could not get off work on Friday so I ended up sleeping after work and leaving for West Union at 3am. Got there about 6:45, had breakfast and headed for the range. I have been there three other times, and each time I am in awe of the beauty of Southern Ohio.

The class commenced right on time at 9am and we had 24 course participants from all walks of life. Funny though, no LEOs in this course. Anyway, at 9am it was already 85 degrees and no clouds to speak of.

I was one of only 2 automatic shotgun shooters and the rest were various pump guns. We started the day by "patterning" our shotguns. We all loaded 5 rounds of buckshot and started at 10 feet and moved back in 10 foot increments ending at 50 feet. It gave us all a good idea on just how tight buckshot holds even up to 50 feet. I did find that the new Hornady TAP buckshot held the tightest pattern even at 50 feet. The guys down there are swearing by this ammo.

The remainder of the day was spent much like the handgun courses at TDI. Single shots on one target, then multiples on one target and on to singles and multiples on multiple targets. We then spent much time on shooting on the move in a box formation, then the "X" and finally weaving in and out of cones, with the cones representing people we DID NOT want to shoot. We were done at five and told to come back at 8PM for the night time stuff.

Night came and we were doing much of what we had done during the day, but now with flashlights on and off the gun. I learned to shoot almost as accurate one handed with the 12 gauge as with both hands. Amazing what one can do with a shotgun.

They then had us compete against each other. We handed our guns to an instructor with three rounds of live ammo and had to turn out backs to the course of fire. The instructors messed our guns up with empty rounds, jams, stovepipes, and then shuffled our live rounds in with about 50-100 empty hulls that had been left with all of the day's shooting. Four at a time on the signal, we would race to our guns, have to solve the malfunctions, find our live rounds and fire three rounds on three separate targets. All the while the instructors were yelling at trying to create more confusion. Awesome learning drill. I finished 4th of 24.

We finally got done shooting at 10pm and I couldnt wait to get to the hotel to sleep.

Day 2 started with the typical warm ups and time ins. I took first in the three shots on three targets with a blazing time of 0.67 seconds from my Benelli Super 90. The next fastest time was from an instrctor at 0.97 seconds.

After the move and shoot drills, we were separated into five groups and sent to various areas of TDI to hone our shotgun skills. My group started in Live Fire House One where we had to clear a house and rescue our loved one who was being held hostage. These houses were hot and got even the well conditioned people's hearts racing.

Next was the Jungle Lane where ten camo'ed steel targets were hidden amongst the vegatation on a inclined hill. The shadows played havoc on the eyes. I was fortunate enough to be able to locate 9 out of the ten targets and completed the course with a great time.

We then went to the upper range where it was now 96 degrees. They had a 50 foot long by 12 foot high wall with various shapes cut out in the wall. There were ten squares which we had to shoot through. You start at one ond of the wall which has a staircase up....everytime you came to a square in the wall, you had to put your muzzle through the square and fire on a target. At the top of the stairs was a platform, more squares and then a ramp down. The squares ranged from 10 inches off the ground to ten feet. Once at the end of the wall, you did a drop out and fired on a target. Then there was a field of 6 cover spots. They had a mailbox, tree stumps, old tires, a fire hydrant etc.... When you moved to cover, you had to shoot on the move at the targets. Once behind cover, take one shot, then move and shoot on the way to the next cover. I was drenched in sweat and wanted to die at the end of my run. But then so did everyone! This one was grueling!

The to the rifle range. We shot slugs here at various ranges out to 60 yards. Then multiple move and shoot drills coupled with tactical reloading and loading while moving. Still 97 degrees out!

Then it was to the last event, Live Fire House Two. Another tactical scenario and problem solving exercise with multiple shoot and no shoot targets. Butt was dragging during this one, but completed without shooting a good guy and did solve my problem.

Ended about 5:30PM, said our good-byes, got my certificate and headed back home.

Definately learned things I never new about the capabilities of a shotgun. I know now it will become my home protection weapon without a doubt. I built confidence in a weapon I knew little about before taking this class and am thankful to have received this training!

If anyone ever gets a chance to take this course DO IT!!!!!!!!! What an eye opener.

Things to remember if you do take the class:

1. Do not take 3 inch magnum shells. I learned the hard way and changed over to 2.75 shells after the patterning drill.

2. Invest in a "Limb Saver." My shoulders and biceps are still bruised and I wish I would have had one of these things for the course.

3. Take plenty of water each day. I think we each consumed about 2-3 gallons of water each of the two days.

4. Invest in a quality sling for your weapon. You carry it all day. I bought a Viking Tactical Sling and it served me well and facilitated the transition to handgun when my shotgun went dry!

5. My personal opinion is that the Benellis out performed all other shotguns that were there. I shot the M1 Super 90 with a pistol grip and an 8 round magazine and it performed flawlessly.

6. Keep an open mind and have a great time!

Peace,

John
<i>"You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall."</i> <b>-A Few Good Men-</b>
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Ahhh.....I love these reviews.

Thanks for taking the time to inform us of your expieriance!
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

I'd been looking forward to your review and somehow missed it. Sounds fantastic - thanks for the write-up.
Sigh - someday.
Dave