USPSA June 11th

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

PAJOHNOHIO
User Requested Deactivation

USPSA June 11th

Post by PAJOHNOHIO »

The next match is...
Sunday, June 11, 2006
Outdoors at Crooked Creek
Setup Saturday, June 10th @ 2:00 PM
Signup Sunday, June 11th from
8:00 AM to 1:00 PM

www.practicalpistol.net
<i>"You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall."</i> <b>-A Few Good Men-</b>
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

Ive been wanting to try this......maybe I will have to come and check it out.

any advice on what I need to take along?
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
PAJOHNOHIO

Post by PAJOHNOHIO »

ScottyPotty wrote:Ive been wanting to try this......maybe I will have to come and check it out.

any advice on what I need to take along?
Depends on the class you shoot.

I suggest:

1. Eye and ear protection (mandatory)
2. Your weapon in a hard side holster approved by IDPA
3. Enough magazines to allow you to fire up to 60 rounds in a single stage.
4. Strict adherence to the range officer as they will DQ you if you have an infraction on the line or behind it.

Its a fun time and plenty of people there to assist you!

Be well...
<i>"You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall."</i> <b>-A Few Good Men-</b>
mcb

Post by mcb »

This is USPSA so just about any holster will work as long as it covers the trigger guard and is worn on your belt.

You can probably get by with just four magazines but the more the merrier. You will want at least three magazine holders on your belt, but if you have to pull one extra magazine out of a hip pocket probably not a big deal.

I talked to the two guys make up the stages and they are planning on using two drop turners, a swinger and the Texas Star (for the star you want lots of ammo) somewhere in four stages. There will also be one classifier stage. So it should be a very interesting match.

Bring a good pair of safety glasses and some ear protection, your gun, magazines, holster, mag pouches, belt and 150 rounds or more. The matches are usually about 100+ rounds but you'll want some extra. Bring even more ammo you might really like it and want to shoot the match a second time.

The range is a cold range. By this it mean that you gun is unloaded, no magazine in the weapon and the hammer down on an empty chamber. Put your holster on at your car and holster your weapon. The only time you can unholster will be at the direction of a range officer (as you prepare to shoot your turn) or in a safety area if you need to work on your weapon.

They guys running the match are a pretty good bunch. When you get there to sign up just tell them you are new to USPSA and they will make sure you understand all the safety rules and make sure you have a good time.

Shooting start as 8:00AM Sunday morning.

mcb
GWC

Post by GWC »

Is a IWB holster OK?
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

If I can get away I will bring my XD-40, I have 4 mags, for that. What class would that be in? Will the xd gear holster work ok? also do they sell ammo there? How much is it to shoot? How long does everything last? (i have a commitment at 6-7pm)

Sorry for all the questions :oops:

thanks for all the info, looks like alot of fun 8)
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
PAJOHNOHIO

Post by PAJOHNOHIO »

ScottyPotty wrote:If I can get away I will bring my XD-40, I have 4 mags, for that. What class would that be in? Will the xd gear holster work ok? also do they sell ammo there? How much is it to shoot? How long does everything last? (i have a commitment at 6-7pm)

Sorry for all the questions :oops:

thanks for all the info, looks like alot of fun 8)
You can shoot production, limited 10, or limited.
They don't sell ammo there.
I dont think you can use a IWB holster.
Get there early! If you are there by 8 and shoot only one round you can be done like 10 at the latest.

Check out the USPSA web site for the definitions of the classes.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Scott - I shot there for the first time in April - it was a really great time.
I'd say get there early. When I came, they had me watch a full string of fire since it was the first time I'd ever been to a USPSA shoot. So, it was about 10 or 10:30 a.m. before the second round began, and I got to shoot.
I'd recommend you watch closely and ask questions if anything's not clear - the range officers when I was there were great and very willing to answer questions. Watching how people decide to tackle the course of fire and how the event is run will teach you a lot.

You'll see people make mistakes, and hopefully you'll be able to avoid most of them your first time through. (I saw one guy forget to rack his slide when given the order to "make ready." A very loud silence when he tried to fire his first round. I did compulsive press-checks thereafter). Another guy completely skipped one of the silhouettes as he worked his way through the stage.

Also, don't rush, even though it's a timed event. After doing the first stage pretty methodically, I decided I could move a lot quicker. I was sprinting along, and moving so fast I was just banging away at the targets (I realized afterward I wasn't even looking at my front sight). I thought I was doing great, but scored terribly - even totally missed a couple silhouettes. As has been said many times before, you can't miss fast enough to win.

The XD Gear stuff will probably be adequate - I have an XD-9 and 4 mags, and used the XD Gear magazine holder, one magazine in the pistol and the fourth in my back pocket...I think I only had to draw the 4th magazine on one stage.

I thought the whole event was really well run, a pretty friendly and open crowd, and I HOPE to be there on Sunday. If at all possible, don't miss it.

Dave
GWC

Post by GWC »

I don't know if I can make it, but I will try.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Forgot to add - cost was $15 (I think) to shoot one course of fire, and less for additional courses of fire. I paid an extra $5 because I'm not a member of the club. Again, a very well-run organization.
Oh - and because it's an all-volunteer event, expect to help with resetting the course of fire after each shooter - you can watch for a while, then when you see how it's done, you can help reset steel targets, or put stickers over holes in the cardboard targets to help get things ready for the next shooter and move it along quicker.
Dave
Harlie

Post by Harlie »

Been using a IWB in USPSA since Ohio CHL came into being. But carry a OWB just in case there is a question. First time USPSA is a learning experience, view it as such, and enjoy. Bring plenty of ammo. likely will want to reshoot.
Keep a keen mind, eye and edge.
INFIDEL, armed, angry and unapolegetic
Ole man from Thunder Mtn
Politicians & diapers should be changed often, both for the same reason
GWC

Post by GWC »

Went to Crooked Creek, had a blast. I will try it again.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Very good one today - some very tricky stages involving new (to me) moving targets - swingers, drop turners and (shudder) the dreaded Texas Star.

I got there early enough for the first round, and met some nice folks.

I'd seen swingers before (on videos) - knock down a pepper popper, and a cable hooked to it trips to release the swinger - funny, but it seems like they're not visible very long - I waited for a second swing to get a second shot into each of them, although lots of shooters were putting double-taps into them on the first appearance.

I'd never heard of drop turners before. Like the swingers, a pepper popper falls, pulls the cable and activates it. Basically, it's a regular IPSC target frame, but set in profile to the shooter. The base has a cylinder with a zigzagging channel cut into the cylinder, and the frame's post sits inside the cylinder, with a stud on it that fits into the channel. When the activating pepper popper is dropped, the cable pulls out a cotter pin that supports the frame's post inside the cylinder. The frame's weight makes it fall, and it turns to face the shooter, then to profile, face the shooter, and back to profile - so you get two fairly quick looks at the target, then it's in profile for the rest of the round. Again, I had to get one shot in at each reveal.

Finally, the Texas Star. I'd seen video of people shooting these before. Nearly flawless in the video I'd seen, but it was enough to stymie me.

A five-spoked wheel, with each spoke about 2.5-3 feet long, has a heavy round steel plate clipped to the end of each spoke (so it kinda looks like a Texas lawman's star-shaped badge). When you drop one plate, it unbalances the wheel and it starts spinning trying to find a new balance point. It's really unpredictable what it will do as you drop more plates. If you can catch the plates as they spin, that's great, but I needed to wait for those moments when it paused and started to rotate back the other way.

The stage was listed as 29 rounds, and I was carrying 41. I was careful not to drop any partial magazines, but I ended up locking the slide open with one plate still swinging on it.
The Texas Star is definitely maddening, but addictive fun. I'd love to spend an hour or two just shooting at one.

Just my second time at a USPSA event, and this time I got a chance to reset all the targets, paste targets and keep score. Out of my group of 10, 4 were new to USPSA.

I think USPSA is a lot of fun, and the folks at Crooked Creek really run the event well, and it's a very friendly group of folks.

Dave
GWC

Post by GWC »

DaveT,

I was one of the four newbys. I was the guy with the Sig P229 in .357 and the IWB holster. I did a lot better than I expected with the star, only took me 6 or 7 shots to clean all five plates.

Funny, I shot like crap on the easy course that we shot last. I had great time, and so did my friend Jon (the guy with the shaved head and a Sig P229 in 9mm).
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

I got a chance to come out and participate in my first shooting event.....I had a lot of fun......But next time I will leave extra early....I got there 8:20 and had to wait until 11:30 to shoot in the second group......all that waiting kinda sucked.....but I got a chance to watch a lot of people go through.

The Tstar, went pretty good for me....first 3 shots hits, reload....3 more shots to finish. I should have reloaded before getting there, but I wanted to have all the ammo I had in case it got ugly :lol:

I had trouble with stage 2? (the one with the far away metal poppers)
I was one of the four newbys. I was the guy with the Sig P229 in .357 and the IWB holster
I saw you, I was kinda wondering if that was you because of the IWB...... 8)