Surplusrifle.coms Schutzenfest This Weekend!

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ArcherAce

Surplusrifle.coms Schutzenfest This Weekend!

Post by ArcherAce »

Surplusrifle.com is putting on their Schutzenfest May 20-21 in Defiance.

I'm new to this mil-surp, group shooting thing, but here's what I've gathered from reading their forum.

The shoot caters to old military firearms, but you can bring newer stuff.

The guys there will let you shoot their guns if you ask nicely. (That alone makes it worth the drive!)

There will be prizes and matches

I read somewhere on there that there will be a group of guys there will full autos on Saturday.

There's more, but I'll let you read it for yourself. Here's a link to the shooting events section of their forum. Look around there for threads about the Midwest Schutzenfest.

I'm going on Saturday. I'm taking my 91/30 and my 1917 Eddystone. I still haven't shot the 1917. I need some ammo!

Here's the address of the range

5772 Trinity Rd.
Defiance, OH
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

I made the trip to Defiance this morning for the shoot.

There wasn't a whole lot to the place, basically a field with a dirt hill. But, I found you dont' need any more than that!

Everyone there was extremely nice. They all had their military surplus guns laid out around their shooting "space". It seemed everyone wanted me to shoot their rifle! All I had to do was stand by the gun and admire it. If the owner was near by he'd ask, "like it? Wanna shoot it?" I didn't take anyone up on their offer. I figured if I shot 'em, I'd want 'em. :D Well, except for the guys on the end. They were the class 3 guys. :D

Being a Call Of Duty fan (WWII video game for those that don't know) I had to shoot the M1A1 Thompson. It weighs a ton! I have no idea how the heck our boys toted that beast around. I thought the wieght would help control it, but after about 8 rounds on full auto the muzzle is climbing for the sky. I didn't think a .45 would kick that hard.

The same guy had an MG42. I let rip with a belt of it. OMG. You should have seen the dirt fly. I didn't hit a darn thing with it, but that turtle shell helmet was scared to death!

They had an
M2 Browning .50 cal setup. I didn't try it, but my brother did. He couldn't wipe the smile off his face!

We both put five rounds through the Barrett. It's as awsome as any of the videos you've seen of it. It doesn't kick as badly as I thought it would. It pushes you back more than it kicks. If you ever get to shoot one, here's a tip. Don't crowd the scope. When you fire, it's coming back at your glasses. Trust me. If you're near one when it fires, stand at 4 or 8 o'clock to the shooter. The muzzle blast that's deflected toward you is enough to make you smile. :D

The guy that had the above machine guns rented them. I spent a few dollars there, but I figured it would be the only time I'd get to shoot something like that.

The last table held a gun that I never use in Call Of Duty, but I just had to check out, the PPSH-41. I was standing there looking it over when the guy who owned it walked up. I asked him if it was indeed a PPSH. "Yup, wanna shoot it?" Uh, yea! "I've got plenty of ammo. If you load the drum, you can shoot it." I was given a lesson in how to operate a PPSH! Push the button on the drum, turn the lever, wind the clockspring, load in the 71 rounds with the drum tipped up a bit ("Hold the war guys! I'm reloading!), pop the drum in the bottom, pull the slide and let 'er rip!

The PPSH ejects spent shells from the top. So, when you hold down the trigger and spray out about 40 rounds, it looks like it's raining brass. Weeeeee!!! I was as giddy as a school girl! :lol: One of the guys there filmed it and said he was going to post it to the web.

It's going on today too. If you decided to go down there, take some money with you. It seems like alot to rent the machine guns, but for most of us it's the only chance we'll get to shoot these historic firearms.
tjeffries

Post by tjeffries »

First time on full auto simply alters the mind. Beware though, it can be highly addicting, often leading to a class III in your future if not carefull. :lol:

Glad to hear you had a good time.