Ashland Lake Gun Club: IDPA and 3-Gun

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DaveT

Ashland Lake Gun Club: IDPA and 3-Gun

Post by DaveT »

Hi all - I just recently stumbled across the Web site for Ashland Lake Gun Club. They appear to have a pretty impressive setup and variety of offerings, including regular IDPA matches, and clinics to teach those new to the sport (I missed that one this year).

Also, they offer tactical shotgun and tactical rifle clinics and courses of fire based on IDPA principles. This strikes me as really fun and really useful. I've e-mailed the club for more info on all of the above, but thought I'd post here, because I'm betting someone here's familiar with the organization and how they run things, and I bet others here haven't heard of them yet.

They seem to be offering a little bit of everything for those interested in the shooting sports - here's their homepage: http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/index.html

On May 22nd, they have scheduled a Tactical Carbine Clinic, followed by a Tactical Carbine Standards, Modified MEU(SOC) qualification course.

First off, anyone know exactly where they're located? They have a P.O. box in Solon, but I'm guessing that's not where the range is physically located. I'd love to know how long a drive this is and how hard it is to find.

And secondly, is it as much fun as it looks? (I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I'd love to have firsthand confirmation).

I just did my first competition a couple weeks ago (USPSA shoot at Crooked Creek Conservation Club) and it was great fun, but a long haul to get there. In my searches for nearby shooting and training opportunities (Portage County) I've come up with few returns ... seems like the Columbus area and southwestern Ohio have the lion's share of the fun. Ashland seems to be offering the most variety of what I've seen in the northeastern part of the state - I'd love it if someone could point me to some other opportunities I've missed.

Thanks
Dave
Terry Wolf

Ashland Lakes Gun Club--

Post by Terry Wolf »

Hi Dave: I shot the IDPA clinic recently held at the Ashland Lakes facility and it was a delightful experience. I plan to participate in the real IDPA shoot scheduled there in early June.

If you roam around their web site I believe you will find good directions to their facility. It is on the West side of US Route 42 about mid-way between Ashland and West Salem. On an Ohio map you will see State Route 604 head East from route 42. Just a fuzz North of that intersection the road becomes four lane. They are about a mile North of there. Maybe less.

That is a very lightly travelled highway so you will not feel traffic pressure as you hunt for their entrance the first time.

--Terry
Old Coastie.
Ohio CC License issued April 2004.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Hi Terry - thanks for the response. I figured if I posted, someone would know about it. I also posted on the XD site and someone pointed out to me that there are directions on the Web site - don't knw how I missed that.
Anyway, I look forward to (hopefully) attending the tactical rifle clinic and shoot, and perhaps the IDPA shoots in the future. What was your impression of the IDPA format - have you tried other formats? USPSA is my one and only competition so far, so I'm just trying to get a handle on the differences, etc.
Anyway, thanks again - from the site, it appears to be a pretty welcoming bunch.
Dave
Terry Wolf

Ashland Lakes/IDPA

Post by Terry Wolf »

Hi Dave: My only recent experience is with IDPA. They describe themselves as being focused on using practical equipment in real world self-defense scenarios. See them at idpa.com.

As a non-member I was made to feel very welcome at Ashland and was warmly invited to return. I was there recently to shoot their IDPA Clinic. I was left with the impession any interested shooter would be welcome at their events; member or not. Shooters not members of the Ashland club or the IDPA pay a couple of bucks higher registration fees; certainly a fair tariff to enjoy their facility.

As an example; a practical scenario we shot at their clinic involved facing a wall with a "dollar" stapled to it. The scenario started with the shooter holding the dollar with his/her shooting hand. This simulated doing a withdraw from an ATM machine. Within five to eight feet to the right were two silhouette targets (bad guys) with an innocent "person" between them. The task was; at the signal draw your weapon and neutralize both BGs with two shots each without hurting the innocent person. Shooters were timed to the hundredths of a second and shot placement was part of your score with a huge penalty for any perforations in the "good guy".

Have fun exploring this new shooting opportunity.

--Terry
Old Coastie.
Ohio CC License issued April 2004.