OFCC's Fun 'n Gun II

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Terry Wolf

OFCC's Fun 'n Gun II

Post by Terry Wolf »

I will be attending this event for the first time and have read about it on the web page.

If you were there last year or are helping to organize this event, how about sharing your thoughts on what we should expect for the day's activities.

What was your favorite experience at the event? What was your most challenging experience? Etc.

Beside dressing for the weather and bringing shooting gear and 300 rounds of ammo, are any other preparations necessary or recommended?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

--Terry
Old Coastie.
Ohio CC License issued April 2004.
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

Terry, I hope you don't mind if I piggy-back on your thread as I have been contemplating starting one of my own about the upcoming Fun N Gun and supplies we will need. I know the website says that information will be forthcoming in the mail, but I wanted to make sure that I have all supplies I'll need for the wife's gun well in advance. I should already have everything I need for the handgun I'll be using, but what do I need to pick up for my wife regarding:

- Minimum of magazines to finish any drills/stages we'll be doing and not slow others down?

- Number of mags that need to be carried on your person (therefore # of mag holders)?

- Any other special equipment? Knee pads, elbow pads?

Anything I might have missed? I don't want to break the bank but I know that we'll need to stock up for her Hi Power and I want to place my order ASAP.
Terry Wolf

Post by Terry Wolf »

Hi MeanStreaker!

Good questions. Maybe together we'll stir up some information. After all, that event is only five or six weeks away.

--Terry
Old Coastie.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hiya. I helped out last year, running a squad. So maybe I can give a little general advice.

The stations where we shoot IDPA-type scenarios will require a pair of spare magazines/speedloaders/moon clips. One dual carrier on your belt should be okay, with more spare ammo kept handy in a range bag or in pockets. (If you want to wear six extra mags that's fine too!) The more spare ammo carriers you can pre-load, the less down time you will have, and the group will get through the stations quicker and easier, leaving extra "play" time.

Now, there are a couple of stations where we practice on reactive steel targets, that quickly reset or just clang. The more ammo you have in loaders, mags, etc. ahead of time, the more you'll get to practice.

Another thing that might be handy is one of those small folding chairs/campstools. Some shooting bays have a place to sit down, some don't. However, please do your Squad Gods a favor and don't get too attached to relaxing, we usually have targets to patch, range props to reset, etc. between shooters.

Naturally, eye and ear protection is required all day long. It's very handy to keep towels or wipes to clean/defog the spectacles.

A multi tool may well come in handy, for fixing any small gun snafus that may arise. After 200 rounds or so, especially in lousy weather, guns can start to act kinda...funky. Small amount of gun lube doesn't take up much room in the range bag, neither does a gun rag.

If I think of more I'll chime back in.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

Brian D. wrote:The stations where we shoot IDPA-type scenarios will require a pair of spare magazines/speedloaders/moon clips. One dual carrier on your belt should be okay...
Thanks Brian. Glad to hear that a pair of spare mags (meaning three total) should be good. I have been to matches where people think I'm completely destroying the flow since I only bring four extra mags (five total).

I have made the decision to have separate carry mags from competition mags so the ones I trust my life to aren't bouncing off of concrete a thousand times before I have to depend on them.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

MS, more is better than less, that's for sure. Now that virtually all "high caps" are cheap again, this isn't the big issue it would have been before the sunset of the Crime Bill. Heck, some dealers darn near give away the politically correct 10 rounders nowadays, those are great for rugged use at the range, assuming you can keep track of many rounds you have stuffed into the gun at any given time throughout the day.

********************************************************************************
Terry Wolf

Fun 'n Gun II

Post by Terry Wolf »

Thanks Brian! Your response was exactly the kind of information I was hoping to see.

I've shot an intermediate and an advanced self-defense course locally since CC came of age in Ohio. And, at 65 years young, believe me I agree loading magazines is the hardest part of the shoot.

Maybe they'll group us older folks in squads so any disparity in speed will not become an issue for anyone.

Folks, please keep the good advice coming.

--Terry
Old Coastie.
GWC

Post by GWC »

Terry, you should get some magazine loaders. They are made for virtually any pistol magazine. They will save you from cuts and just having to force those last few rounds in the mag.
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

How many people will be in attendance this year? I don't recall if I ever read what the cap was going to be.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Attendence is capped at 60. Last year, we ended up with about 70 after the dust settled.

One thing I would STRONGLY recommend is to shoot your gun prior to attending. Last year, we had several people show up with non-functioning firearms.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

Terry
Getting off the subject a sec.
I've found that if you go to Office max you can get those little rubber tips for paperwork,to put over your thumb. Helps to push the last couple of rounds in and no cuts or bruises.
Myself I carry a pair of surgical gloves in my bag. I use them to load my mags.
We Now Return To Your Original Broadcast!
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
hiker

Post by hiker »

Great info for new guys like me - Thanks Brian! Oh yeah, thanks GWC for the mag loader reminder - I'd been meaning to order some of these: http://www.magloader.com/index.htm Looks like a simple thumb-saver. Think I'll print the order form & mail it off tomorrow. Really looking forward to the event!

edit: Just saw your tip Ironjacko about the rubber finger "things." I'll have to see if I can find one of those & give that a try.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Remembered something else from last year: A few people in the various groups had holsters that:

1) Were a pain to draw from. For one thing, they were using something made for another gun. Certain holsters may accomodate several different firearms, but they're not universal. Also, styles such as "Smart Carry" or "Thunderwear" aren't the thing to bring when you're going to be doing dozens and dozens of draws in a single day.

2) Were a pain to get the gun back into. Much as I like IWB rigs, there's no sense bringing one to the TDI event if it collapses flat when the gun's not in it. All the draws/reholsters we'll be doing will prove this to you.

3) Didn't retain the gun. Bad thing to have your handgun hit the dirt or concrete because you were required to run a few feet before drawing, or walk a couple hundred yards between shooting stations. Hope everybody here has better equipment than that!

4) Were crossdraw or shoulder rigs. While they aren't prohibited during the event, you must be extremely careful about muzzle direction during the draw, and reholster. Lots of people in close proximity throughout the day, and none of them want to see the "business end" of your blaster. ( Horizontal shoulder holsters are the worst culprits for this; best to pick another carry mode for the event.) My suggestion is to use strong-side carry that day.

Will jump in here again if my porous brain remembers anything else.

Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Brian D. wrote: 4) Were crossdraw or shoulder rigs. While they aren't prohibited during the event
FYI: We're still working on the rules, but it is about 99.9% sure that these holsters will not be permitted this year, for the very reasons you mentioned.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Daniel wrote:
Brian D. wrote: 4) Were crossdraw or shoulder rigs. While they aren't prohibited during the event
FYI: We're still working on the rules, but it is about 99.9% sure that these holsters will not be permitted this year, for the very reasons you mentioned.
Daniel, my only problem with such a rule is enforcing it against someone whose everyday method of carry is a crossdraw or shoulder holster. Making them change to take in a day of training (and fun) could be a little counter-productive. After all, it is possible to safely carry, draw, and reholster with these rigs, although it takes a good bit more diligence than traditional strong-side carry.

However, the overall safety of the participants and staff is more important, so I'm certainly in favor of any such rule the OFCC honchos want to make in this regard.[/i]