Camp Perry, MERF target match, November 10, 2007

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

So, I've got an AR. The range by me only has 100m indoors, and no outside equivalent. I think it would be fun to enter this competition, but I've never done it before? What if I suck?
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
heathen

Post by heathen »

SeanC wrote:So, I've got an AR. The range by me only has 100m indoors, and no outside equivalent. I think it would be fun to enter this competition, but I've never done it before? What if I suck?
I see this as a way to find out where our strong and weak points are and a goal to improve where we are lacking. And most important, it look like fun!!! :)
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

I guess my concern is that I've never had any formal rifle instruction. I don't know what the rules are for the events...
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
heathen

Post by heathen »

SeanC wrote:I guess my concern is that I've never had any formal rifle instruction. I don't know what the rules are for the events...
From what I was told by someone that shot it before, all shooting is from prone and you are given a rifle rest to steady the rifle. He also told me that after the first 20 rounds are fired, they stop long enough to change to mags for the next 20. The targets stay up for 5 seconds which really is long enough to aim and fire.

I plan to do some prone dry fire drills during the next couple weeks. I like to use a small dot, just large enough to see, on a white sheet of paper as my aiming point. If you watch where your front sight is pointing as the "shot" is fired, a small dot will make it easier to see how far off you are. As you gently pull the trigger, your focus should be on the front sight and try to call where the "hit" is on the target. Such as "my shot is high at about 11:00". Also try to judge how far away from the dot your shot went.

As you continue to practice the dry firing, you should see your groups shrink. Something else you may want to do is sign up for the Small Arms Firing School and CMP at Camp Perry next summer. It's a good way to get shooting tips.

I'm far from an expert shot but I've been given tips from some that are experts as well as reading many articles on the subject. I have many great articles in my computer that I review sometimes to help me practice correctly.

I've been going to a monthly shoot for the last year or so which has helped me so much.
http://scsclub.org/index%20black%20swamp%20carbine.htm
And also I try to shoot the SKS/AK match every month. This has helped improve my standing shooting skills.
http://scsclub.org/sks
If it's not too far for you to drive, these shoots are great for improving rifle handling and shooting. Questions and comments are welcome. :)
3 gun

Post by 3 gun »

I hate to beat a dead horse but this shoot has been

CANCELED ! !

There will be a match on the 17th.
http://www.friendsofcampperry.org./RiflePopupMatch.html