NRA Convention pulled from Columbus!

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

the right wing zealot

Post by the right wing zealot »

The people of Columbus, if they are paying attention to what is going on, have to be kicking themselves for voting these people into office.
The problem is that too many people do NOT pay attention. Or, even worse, they actually believe that this ban is founded in some thought through and proven principle that will fight and/or prevent crime. It is amazing that firearms have been so demonized, yet drug abuse, vehicular homocide/manslaughter (due to drunk driving) and a host of other crimes ellicit "passion" from liberals. But, gun rights get the "gun nut" stereotype attached to anyone who is for them...almost immediately. I still say, the best way to fight this ignorance is to get EVERYONE that you know involved in firearms. Show them that it is fun. I saw it mentioned on a forum (perhaps even here) that very few skeptical reporters who decide to go shooting for a story (likely with the intent that they will be able to deride the activity) ever file a completely negative report.

The truth will set you free.
'Gun control' is being able to put two bullets through the same hole.
SFC Stu

Columbus

Post by SFC Stu »

The City of Columbus stuck it to the people with their idiotic "assault weapon ban". The NRA stuck it to the city of Columbus, by pulling the 2007 Convention out. Coleman and Mentel just screwed the business people of Columbus out of 20 million dollars! When will these clowns learn? SFC Stu
SFC Stu
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Here's a dispatch writeup.

Oops, I mean Channel 10 report.

http://www.wbns10tv.com/Global/story.as ... v=LUERcFkj
Last edited by Petrovich on Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhwiley

Post by rhwiley »

I thought I'd share some information I ran into. There are a few interesting things on the Columbus Dispatch site about the NRA's activities on monday that I've found.

There's a message board to share your thoughts at:
http://www.dispatch.com/issue.php?story=116474

There's also a writeup on the whole thing:
http://www.dispatch.com/topstory.php?story=122244

All in all - I've been following this since the announcement. I guess I only wish the media were a little more accurate about the contents of the ban. As for my feelings about the NRA - let's just say my faith in the organization became re-strengthened - so I renewed my membership. So much for small efforts by us pions. :D

Bob Wiley

Bob Wiley
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Here' another link to a national news story.

http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewNation.asp? ... 0718b.html

I wonder how well mentel is sleeping tonight?
KAF

Post by KAF »

Mayor Michael Coleman says, "We won't be sold. We're not for sale and they won't hold us hostage."

I remember the OGCA held it shows in Columbus, untill the local government did some stupid crap back then. And the local businesses whined about the money they lost. Yes it hurt them just as the NRA pulling out will. Lots of taxes on that 20 mil too.

I know we had a rally and marched to the capitol building from there years ago in protest of the local crap.

I was very glad when the NRA said it would have it's meeting in Columbus, since it gives Ohioians a better chance to attend and see how cool the meeting is. But I understand their thinking of not supporting a city with such outrageous laws.
I hope it is in maybe Worthington.

The NRA moves it's meeting around every year to make it easier for it's members to be involved, go if you get the chance.

When will Columbus learn?

Funny thing is I see dumicratic stickers on cars all over, and the cars are imports, kind of says something about them doesn't it?

The way I heard Mr. LaPiere he said he gives the city two weeks to change the law and if so the show will go on as scheduled.

And channel 10 seems to be run by dumicrats by their report. Is the Dispatch the same?

Like a fellow said in a prior post, society has accepted drunk driving, drugs etc, but they feel a man can't own the firarm of his choice, amazing.

Remember this stuff come election time.

Go to the NRA show if you can.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

I got a look at this mentel character on tv this morning.

I wasn't too impressed.

Is his name really mentel; or is it 'mental'?

coleman's liberal blather was equally unimpressive.

I bet they'll both be in the mayor's office this morning taking turns kicking each other in the hiney.

I can almost hear it, "you stupid idiot!! Look at what you've done!! What were you thinking???"
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

The Youngstown Vindicator ran an article on this today (7/19/2005) that was surprisingly well balanced.

Other than a reference to "hidden guns" (another anti buzzword), it read like one of our press releases.

And, not a single word about/by/from Toby and her friends! :twisted:

The Vindicator has lately been somewhat 2A-friendly, but seem to run Toby's press releases blindly. I'm shocked :!:
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
cmhbob

Post by cmhbob »

What is hopefully the first of several lawsuits has been filed challenging the Columbus AW ban.
Mark Ferenchik
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Columbus City Council candidate Phil Harmon sued the city yesterday, challenging Columbus’ assault-weapons ban and asking the court to prevent it from going into effect.

Harmon, a longtime activist and lawyer and one of six candidates running for three seats on the council this fall, filed the suit yesterday in Franklin County Probate Court.

Harmon said the suit challenges the constitutionality of the entire law. But he filed in probate court, he said, because there’s no provision in the law allowing people to sell or transfer weapons to relatives if they die or need a guardian. Harmon practices estate law.

"So if someone had a gun all his life, if I became his guardian, I’m subject to prosecution," Harmon said yesterday. "It’s just reckless legislation that needs to be corrected as quickly as possible."

City Attorney Richard C. Pfeiffer Jr. said he hasn’t seen the lawsuit and couldn’t comment.
There's more here http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php? ... tml&chck=t but it's subscription. http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... v=LUEScPKx is the WBNS story.
--
Bob Mueller Blog | Facebook | Flickr
The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Here's the Coleman campaign's response to my "don't do that!" note from the other day:
Stuart, Thanks for writing. I thought I'd attach our official statement
on the matter.

Official Statement on NRA canceling Columbus Convention

My job as mayor is to keep the citizens of our city safe and put
criminals behind bars. We are going to support our police who sought
this ban to help them take criminals and terrorists off the streets.

I believe in Second Amendment rights, and I support the rights of
Ohioans to own weapons for sporting purposes and personal protection.
The Columbus law only bans military-style assault weapons.

I welcome the NRA to Columbus because our city is a great place for
their convention. However, we will not let them or any other special
interest group dictate the policies of our community. I won't let them
put a gun to our heads and dictate the policy of Columbus. This ban and
similar ones like it are reasonable restrictions that have had
widespread community support in Columbus for more than a decade.

This is a matter best handled at the local level. Ohio has a strong
tradition of allowing local communities to make decisions on important
safety matters and many Ohio communities have taken steps to fight
crime. Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo and Dayton have similar bans and I
believe those communities made the choices that best suit the wishes of
their citizens.
-30-
It would appear that they didn't bother to read the Mentel proposal....

This may be fun to watch, but I hate the thought of all the money being wasted.

It is interesting that they've noted "personal protection". I suppose they're expecting flintlocks?
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

NRA Annual meeting 2007 will be in St Louis!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mad Duck wrote:NRA Annual meeting 2007 will be in St Louis!
Nice.... Close enough to Columbus that some of the "drivers" can still make it, and OH has reciprocity with Missouri....

Looks like the CPZ issue is pretty simple, too, but that'll depend on the venue. Car carry's not an issue. Just don't stop in IL on the way....

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם