2007 Small Arms Firing School

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Didn't see this listed so thought I'd list it.

http://www.odcmp.com/NM/safs.htm
  • Learn target shooting skills with service rifles and pistols
  • Receive instruction from Army Pistol & Rifle team members
  • Be coached by military marksmanship unit team members
  • Shoot on the world-famous Camp Perry ranges; enjoy the National Matches
  • Compete in an Excellence-in-Competition Match
Pistol SAFS Dates. Check in, Sunday, 8 July, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, at the In-Processing Center in Building #3 (CMP Headquarters) at Camp Perry (ask directions at the main gate). No one is permitted to register or check-in on the day of the school. The school begins at 8:00 AM on Monday, 9 July and ends on Tuesday afternoon, 10 July.

Rifle SAFS Dates. Check in, Friday, 27 July, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, at the In-Processing Center at Camp Perry (ask directions at the main gate). No one is permitted to register or check-in the day of the school. The school begins at 7:00 AM on Saturday, 28 July and ends on Sunday afternoon, 29 July.

M9 Pistol and M16 Rifle EIC Matches: An EIC Match is a special competition (“leg” match) in which the top 10 percent of the competitors win credit points (“legs”) that count towards earning a prestigious Distinguished Badge. On the second day of each school, a special M9 Pistol or M16 Rifle EIC Match is fired. The M9 pistol match is fired at 25 yards. Competitors can fire with either a one-handed or two-handed stance. The pistol course of fire is 5 sighters, 10 shots slow-fire in five minutes, two 5-shot timed-fire series (20 sec. each) and two five-shot rapid-fire series (10 sec. each). The M16 rifle match is fired at 200 yards. The course of fire is 5 sighting shots and 10 shots for record in prone (15 min.), 10 shots prone rapid fire (60 sec.), 10 shots sitting rapid-fire (60 sec.) and 10 shots standing (10 min.). The top 10 percent of all competitors who have earned no previous EIC points will receive four EIC credit points that count towards the 30 EIC points required to receive the Distinguished Pistol Shot or Distinguished Rifleman Badges. Detailed rules for these matches are in the 2007 11th edition of the CMP Competition Rules (see Rules 9.6 and 9.7), posted on the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf.
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

This is a GREAT weekend for parents and kids of 10 or 12 (I can't remember the cut-off limit they use) as the M16 won't beat them up and they will LOVE it.

You can get some really top-notch instruction there too. Last time I shot it I had a Navy Senior Master Chief as an instructor, and he was wearing an OD Jungle Suit instead of Woodland BDUs. He also had a strange badge on his pocket, he was a SEAL.

The US Army Marksmanship Unit puts on the class and works the line with the assistance of the rest of the Regular, Reserve and National Guard shooting teams in the appropriate discipline. The guy that coaches you in the SAFS may go on to Win the National Championships or on to be one of the Service Champions.

They have tried to kill this off many times and the NRA has tried to move the Nationals to Raton several times. Get this unique Camp Perry experience before someone screws it up!

Buckshot
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

From the official website...
Age Limits. The minimum age for pistol SAFS students is 14; the minimum age for rifle SAFS students is 12. Waiver requests may be submitted to the CMP for younger participants only if evidence of previous competition and ability to safely handle center fire pistols or rifles is presented with the request.

Would love to take my oldest daughter but she's only 11 and hasn't shot competitively. She's shot AR-15 before and likes shooting my 1911 and my PT-145. The Taurus fits her better than it fits me. :? Ah well, she'll be there next year.

Joseph
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

As of last week, there were still places availible in both rifle and pistol...but I don't know how long until they are full.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

As of today, got confirmation for Rifle SAFS but am on waiting list for Pistol SAFS. :-(
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

See you at both...say hi.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

WY_Not wrote:As of today, got confirmation for Rifle SAFS but am on waiting list for Pistol SAFS. :-(
I believe the pistol SAFS is full, however, you can call and get your name on a waiting list. If someone cancels you might get in.

My wife and I are gonna be staying in East Harbor s.p. Any interest in meeting around a campfire sunday evening?

Shooterwolf.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I'm staying in Camp Perry housing..but I'll be pulling in late Sunday. I've never been there, so I don't know where East Harbor is? I'm free for dinner the next night, though...
McM

Post by McM »

I was very interested in going. Unfortunately with a two month old and a three year old three days on the other side of the state was out of the picture right now. That 'day before' check-in was the killer. It seemed like an extra day for nothing.
heathen

Post by heathen »

Mr. Glock wrote:I'm staying in Camp Perry housing..but I'll be pulling in late Sunday. I've never been there, so I don't know where East Harbor is? I'm free for dinner the next night, though...
East Harbor State Park is on the other side of Port Clinton from Camp Perry and not too hard to find. Being local, if I can help out with info or directions, feel free to contact me. Have a good time. :)
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

heathen wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:I'm staying in Camp Perry housing..but I'll be pulling in late Sunday. I've never been there, so I don't know where East Harbor is? I'm free for dinner the next night, though...
East Harbor State Park is on the other side of Port Clinton from Camp Perry and not too hard to find. Being local, if I can help out with info or directions, feel free to contact me. Have a good time. :)
Mr. Glock,

I beleive that the East Harbor State Park is out on what they call Marblehead, if you look at your map you will see that area sticking out into the lake just north and east of where 2 and 53 cross. That is the side of Port Clinton AWAY from Camp Perry.

Buckshot
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

Dinner monday evening is out for us. The sunday offer is open to anyone interested.

Shooterwolf.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Well, I was on the pistol waiting list and a couple of days before the class, got a call. Class wasn't bad. Range time was great. Berettas SUCK! I'll take my 1911 any day.

Can't wait till the rifle class this weekend. :D
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I would have doubled my score with my Glock vs that Beretta. I heard the AMU Armourers spend 200 hours on each AMU gun. We were not so lucky to have an AMU special...pull, pull..when does that trigger go off?, crunch, pull, pull, it went off right here last time, pull, what the?, bang.

I'll be doing rifle SAFS too.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I am planning on doing the Pistol SAFS next year. Can you bring your own Beretta or must you use theirs?
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."