2007 Small Arms Firing School

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Smith&Wesson_fan
User Requested Deactivation

Post by Smith&Wesson_fan »

Mr. Glock wrote:I would have doubled my score with my Glock vs that Beretta. I heard the AMU Armourers spend 200 hours on each AMU gun. We were not so lucky to have an AMU special...pull, pull..when does that trigger go off?, crunch, pull, pull, it went off right here last time, pull, what the?, bang.

I'll be doing rifle SAFS too.
If you think the M9's trigger is teh suck, wait until you try an M16A2..... :o
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I shot expert with the A2 on the SAFS practice competition on Saturday....trigger wasn't that bad at all. Frankly, I've come to really like ARs in the last year or so.

I had to miss the Sunday match itself...water main break in our town on Thu nite, we didn't know until too late...I saw way more of Camp Perry's porta-pots than...well, you can guess the rest. Still not moving too fast today.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

charben wrote:I am planning on doing the Pistol SAFS next year. Can you bring your own Beretta or must you use theirs?
Although it may change, you could do so for the Pistol SAFS..but you were not eligilble for EIC points in the match unless you used thier stuff.

For Rifle SAFS, you had to use all their equipment.

I enjoyed my SAFS experiences, but they don't hold your hand..so, you might want to have some idea of what you are doing. Alot of serious competitiors go to the school to get practise time in, so they are pulling their little carts around...I went just with ear and eye protection. I learned a bit (my main goal) and met a lot of nice people. On Friday night, I drank a few beers with a Navy SpecOps coach in the parking lot (our trucks were parked next to each other) and my shooting coach was a 30-year career Green Beret Sargent.

One thing that was kind of funny, as I was having a few with the Navy guy, he said "Isn't this place great. Look over there, there's a guy carrying a Garand down the street and nobody cares." Shooters tend to be a friendly bunch.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

charben wrote:I am planning on doing the Pistol SAFS next year. Can you bring your own Beretta or must you use theirs?
You can bring your own if it meets safety and competition rules. Can also bring 1911s if they meet safety and competition rules. More details on the CMP site.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

The Rifle SAFS was MUCH better than the Pistol SAFS. In the classroom, they taught more techniques and details, much more useable info. Not sure about other instructors on the firing line, but mine was incredibly helpful in explaining to me how to do things correctly and in correcting what I was doing wrong.

Afterwords, I was only too happy to work the pits so they could get some practice time in, the four boxes of Greek surplus .30-06 was just pure icing on the cake. :D Now I have to borrow/buy (shhhh... don't let my wife see that second option) a rifle to shoot it in. :wink:
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Having done both, I'd suggest the RWVA's Appleseed program is the better bet in terms of hands-on learning. SAFS was a good experience, but if you can only do one:

www.appleseedinfo.org
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Mr. Glock wrote:Having done both, I'd suggest the RWVA's Appleseed program is the better bet in terms of hands-on learning. SAFS was a good experience, but if you can only do one:

www.appleseedinfo.org
Agreed! Know quite a few people who have participated and who teach in the Appleseed program. Would love to see one scheduled for the NE Ohio area.

Still, the SAFS were a good experience. After all, one can never get too much range time or too much shooting instruction. :D