First Appleseed shoot

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bama.45

First Appleseed shoot

Post by Bama.45 »

I shot my first Appleseed shoot this weekend... I must say, it is the toughest shooting competition I have done... Personally, I think it was tougher than my rifle range training in the Corps(although that has been nearly 15 years ago lol)... I enjoyed it though, my best performance was shooting 170 points, needed 210 for rifleman...I plan on going to another one in May... I loved learning the history of some of America's greatest Patriots... I really think everyone should try it at least once.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: First Appleseed shoot

Post by Mr. Glock »

Morne and I went to the second year of Appleseed in 2007 in Indiana (closest one) after an OFCCer went in the first year (I can not recall the name, Techres or similar maybe...sorry). I went to a few more after that to get my Rifleman patch. It really improved my rifle shooting. At one of the first Ohio shoots, half the line was OFCCers. Muxtech was there, down in Minerva.

The thing that is really interesting is that Appleseed is basically positional rifle shooting taught prior to WW2. We've heard the stories of the pre-draft Marines and soldiers shooting very well in the beginning of WW2, still seems to work.

Frankly, I should go back. It is a perisable skill.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Mr. Glock wrote:Morne and I went to the second year of Appleseed in 2007 in Indiana (closest one) after an OFCCer went in the first year (I can not recall the name, Techres or similar maybe...sorry). I went to a few more after that to get my Rifleman patch. It really improved my rifle shooting. At one of the first Ohio shoots, half the line was OFCCers. Muxtech was there, down in Minerva.

The thing that is really interesting is that Appleseed is basically positional rifle shooting taught prior to WW2. We've heard the stories of the pre-draft Marines and soldiers shooting very well in the beginning of WW2, still seems to work.

I've shot rifles most of my life and thought I was a pretty good shot lol... The switching positions, different sling positions etc really make it harder than just sitting at a bench drilling targets lol... I was never taught anything like this in boot camp... Which the last real battle rifle that the U.S. military used was the M1 Garand in my opinion... We have assault rifles now... And yeah you can shoot out past 600 yrds with a M16... But the effective range is about 300yds... And in Iraq, we didnt have 300yd engagements... We didn't have 300 yd line of sight most of the time... So we were trained more for CQB.

Anyone that thinks Appleseed's are easy shoots should try one lol... But it was a great exp, and I will keep shooting them until I get rifleman lol... It is a perishable skill... It has been almost 8 years since I shot a rifle to amount to much... And M shooting now suffers lol
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
sdelam

Post by sdelam »

It was great to get 2015 APPLESEED kicked off. Bama thanks for coming out. Enjoyed having you on the line and hope to see you again soon!
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

You may have said and I didn't see it but what rifle did you take?
sdelam

Post by sdelam »

And I'll beg to differ on the AR only being a 300 yd rifle. I've made consistent hits at 400+ yds. Once you get the basics down, attend a full distance event and see for yourself.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

TJW815 wrote:You may have said and I didn't see it but what rifle did you take?

I took a Marlin model 60, did a lot of shooting with it then went to using a 10/22 that one of the instructors let me borrow... Then used an AR for one AQT.. Did ok with it considering it was my first time shooting it.. Scored a 136.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

sdelam wrote:And I'll beg to differ on the AR only being a 300 yd rifle. I've made consistent hits at 400+ yds. Once you get the basics down, attend a full distance event and see for yourself.

I think you misunderstand what I mean... Yeah an AR can shoot out past 300yds... But by effective I mean as in a combat shooting at folks situation... It's ballistic coefficiency sucks at anything much over 300 yes... Yeah, its great for target shooting at that range though... That's why our battle zero was 50 meters...
Last edited by Bama.45 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

sdelam wrote:It was great to get 2015 APPLESEED kicked off. Bama thanks for coming out. Enjoyed having you on the line and hope to see you again soon!

I enjoyed it too...Look forward to the next one.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Mr. Glock wrote:Morne and I went to the second year of Appleseed in 2007 in Indiana (closest one) after an OFCCer went in the first year (I can not recall the name, Techres or similar maybe...sorry). I went to a few more after that to get my Rifleman patch. It really improved my rifle shooting. At one of the first Ohio shoots, half the line was OFCCers. Muxtech was there, down in Minerva.

Ted was at Minerva when Morne shot rifleman. Shooting in a sand quarry was a challenge.

There will still be dates added to the Ohio schedule. Tusco near New Philadelphia is rumored to be hosting two Appleseeds, and a Known-Distance Appleseed for rifleman only. I am planning to be at Tusco, if the work schedule allows.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mustang380gal wrote:

Ted was at Minerva when Morne shot rifleman. Shooting in a sand quarry was a challenge.

There will still be dates added to the Ohio schedule. Tusco near New Philadelphia is rumored to be hosting two Appleseeds, and a Known-Distance Appleseed for rifleman only. I am planning to be at Tusco, if the work schedule allows.
I'm glad to hear they are planning on adding a couple at Tusco since I'm a member there and it is close. I was looking at the other sites and struggling with wanting to go, but having to deal with the additional distance, etc. I'm hoping to get to the first one so I can get it under my belt under the assumption I won't be able to shoot rifleman on my first go and still be able to make anohter one this year to work on honing my skill enough to do so.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sdelam

Post by sdelam »

If you go to the website and study the steady hold factors and six steps to firing a shot, there is no reason you couldn't shoot rifleman at your first event. Your chances would be even better if you spend some time dry firing and practicing the posistions.

All that being said, I did not shoot Rifleman my first time out and I was a great shot (in my own mind). It was a humbling experience.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

sdelam wrote:If you go to the website and study the steady hold factors and six steps to firing a shot, there is no reason you couldn't shoot rifleman at your first event. Your chances would be even better if you spend some time dry firing and practicing the posistions.

All that being said, I did not shoot Rifleman my first time out and I was a great shot (in my own mind). It was a humbling experience.
And it is exactly your experience that makes me think I'll need more than one go at it to shoot rifleman. In my mind, I'm a pretty good shot with a rifle, but I've never done the positional shooting thing before. On top of that I'm a middle-aged overweight dude with aging eyes and I've started creaking when I stay in one position too long.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

As Sdelam said, practice the steady hold factors, practice the six steps to firing a shot, and dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. It can be done. I know at least one instructor who did just that and got his patch on the first day. Also, one of our Master Instructors tells a similar story about an Olympic shooter who while in the military got stationed in Hawaii for a time. While there he did not have access to firearms and ammo. To keep his skills he visualized every little detail of getting into position, going through the steady hold factors, and going through the six steps to firing a shot. He went on to win a medal. Can't remember the details offhand.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

sdelam wrote:If you go to the website and study the steady hold factors and six steps to firing a shot, there is no reason you couldn't shoot rifleman at your first event. Your chances would be even better if you spend some time dry firing and practicing the posistions.

It is humbling lol... It is a lot tougher than just sitting at a bench or lying prone with sandbags or a bipod and drilling a target lol... I need to practice my steady hold factors and try to figure something out with the sitting position..My body just wont let me do it lol.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07