Practice for things that could happen..

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

GWC, I wasn't accusing you of flaming anyone, just doing a little "prevent defense" if you will, to keep the thread from going in that direction..

Onto something related: I try to do at least 10% of my practice strong-hand-only, and the same amount weak-hand-only. It's indeed easier for me to use a single action auto (especially weak hand) but over time have come to do reasonably well with double actions, such as my Makarov or Beretta 92. Funny, my left trigger finger has none of the "bad habits" that my strong side occasionally shows.

Hope that everybody here does some strong/weak hand only shooting as well, once decent proficiency has been attained with conventional two hand methods. It's a real eye opener the first few sessions.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Practice

Post by TunnelRat »

GWC wrote:
tommcnaughton wrote:What this picture doesn't show is that I've had the useless safety lever on the other side of the gun ground off... 8)
Then what do you do if your left hand is disabled in the fight and you need to shoot right-handed?
I find it interesting how many times I have been asked that, and usually by guys who don't have a safety available for left-hand shooting (in case their right hand gets disabled in a gunfight) ...

Of course, I may have made an occasional disparaging remark (or two) about the genetically disfunctional who cannot use their left hands properly 8), but in fact, by limiting my firearm to a strong hand safety only, all I've really done is restrict myself to the same situation as the majority of shooters.

I made the decision to grind off the safety on the left side of the gun because I tend to use a very high grip and the safety on that side would chew up my hand. I did indeed compromise on my Hi-Power. Rather than grind the off-side safety clear off, I simply had it reduced significantly. So, while it no longer interferes with my shooting hand, it is there if ever it were needed.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Or, you could just shoot a Glock and not worry about it. :lol:

(There's a troll if I ever saw one! hehehe)
GWC

Post by GWC »

Yeah. like I said, that's why I carry a Sig. Or sometimes a Glock, or a revolver.

I practice with two hands righty, two hands lefty, one hand righty, and one hand lefty, though not as often as I should.

Although I am "genetically inferior", I use my left hand for a lot of stuff and can shoot pretty well left handed. I can shoot a rifle left-handed too.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Granted, there's a lot to be said for Glocks -- most of it pretty good, too. I've got a little bitty G27 that's hardly any bigger than a .380 yet it throws out .40S&W like it's going out of style.

That said, even with the 3.5# trigger gadget, and all internal surfaces buffed and polished, the trigger on a Glock (let alone a SIG!) doesn't begin to compare with what is regularly available on a John Moses Browning, Model 1911.

BTW, to be fair, here's a pic of the nubbin safety so you'll know I'm not a complete idiot. There's enough of the safety lever left to give a good purchase, but it is sufficiently reduced and rounded that it doesn't bother my strong-side shooting hand.

TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
GWC

Post by GWC »

Tom,

I agree. The 1911 has the best trigger ever designed. I still prefer the Sig. Its single action trigger is almost as good as a 1911, and I like the DA option and no manual safety. I've never had a problem switching from DA to SA. If I want to shoot SA for my first shot, all I have to do is cock the hammer. As was said earlier, its great to live in America and have choices.

I guess I'll have to stop using my Glock because I'm not "professional" enough to handle it.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

GWC wrote:I guess I'll have to stop using my Glock because I'm not "professional" enough to handle it.
Is that from the video clip? Yeah, it makes me glad I'm not a "professional"... :?
TunnelRat

Jronjakoh

Practice

Post by Jronjakoh »

Wow! you guys had me lookin that time! I just did a practice run with My Star and found I'm able to hit the safety on the left side with thumb on right hand and index on the left hand. Easier than I thought. Thanks for the thought guys!

Hell I don't need protection,I got the wife. THEN pull out the artillery