I made a firearms safety mistake..

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

I made a firearms safety mistake..

Post by Brian D. »

Okay so yesterday I met up with forum member 2/327 at a handy location and purchased the Glock model 19 he just listed as sold. Nice meeting him, the gun is a good shooter, etc. However, during the transaction, I made a safe handling blunder, and it's bothered me since. Read along and let's make this a teachable moment.

He handed me an open, empty firearm, magazine removed, with muzzle in a safe direction. I took the gun and reconfirmed that status. I wanted to do a quick functioning check. As one of the last items, I wanted to try the trigger pull, just so ascertain that it indeed worked. We were in the side parking lot of a big box store, didn't want to sweep the gun around. Mr. 2/327 was driving a pickup truck, so I used the bed of same as muzzle direction for the trigger check. Pointed the muzzle somewhat downward.Totally unbeknownst to me, because of tinted windows and my lack of looking close, some of his family was in the vehicle. Only after we'd shaken hands and were getting ready to part ways did I have any inkling of that.

Now, I'm not exactly beating myself up over this, but am kinda upset over the mistake, and asap yesterday sent 2/327 a serious apology via PM. By the way, I don't hold 2/327 responsible for what I did, it was done before he even could have said anything. But, in spite of the muzzle not being pointed directly AT anyone, and the fact that both of us had triple checked the gun, that's still not good enough in my book. And yes, I know that if I'd asked to take the gun apart, one of the initial steps with a Glock is to pull the dang trigger. The trigger check could have been skipped, or I could likely have found a better direction, maybe even at my own vehicle, nobody was in it and it's nine years old. :wink:

I only have one other thing to say in my own "defense": As 2/327 stated in the for sale thread, part of reason for sale was to get his wife's car fixed, which he had collided with recently. As it happens, he told me the pickup I muzzled was about to be totaled out by the insurance company anyhow, so.. :)

Okay, back to serious: More than a few of us have made these face to face sales, and more likely than not the location wasn't handy to a range or makeshift backstop. Just always think and practice 'safety, safety, and more safety!'.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bianchi?

Re: I made a firearms safety mistake..

Post by Bianchi? »

The good thing about the 4 Rules is you have to violate all 4, simultaneously, for anything catastrophic to happen.

That being said, there is no excuse for violating a rule. Excellent learning experience and thanks for sharing.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

One reason I like reading tales like these is so that I get to keep reminding myself: safety first. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I know a guy that owns a gun store in Hartville that needs to read your post Brian.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pirateguy191 wrote:I know a guy that owns a gun store in Hartville that needs to read your post Brian.
Yeah, and so do some gun show vendors, and at least half the attendees. Especially where the firearms aren't wire tied through the chamber.

********************************************************************************
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian..for violating that rule you should be shot at sunrise and hung at sunset..

Everyone went home safe that day..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thank you Carmen...I think. :wink:

marca

Post by marca »

I stepped on a crack once, but luckily I didn't break my mother's back.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

At a gun show a couple years ago, another member of this forum was showing off the green laser on his newly purchased handgun.

Wanting to see the brightness of the laser close-up, I waved my hand in front of the laser...and the muzzle. :shock:

Sure, the gun was zip-tied (we were still at the gun show), but that's no reason to muzzle one's self.
MyWifeSaidYes