What states can I certify people in?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Titan Actual

What states can I certify people in?

Post by Titan Actual »

I'm a NRA instructor and a OH resident. I recently moved from KY and still have a valid KY permit also. I have family in NKY that would like me to certify them but I've been told that I can only teach in OH? So I'm not sure if I can or not?
I've seen instructors from KY say they can certify KY, OH, and FL? Does anyone know what the laws are or if I have to be a resident to teach them? Thanks
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: What states can I certify people in?

Post by JustaShooter »

It depends on each state's laws. For Ohio, you must be certified by a national gun rights organization (like the NRA, USCCA, etc.) or be an Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy certified trainer. Then, your class must meet the minimum standards in Ohio law, consisting of a minimum of 6 hours classroom instruction (essentially, basic gun safety and firearm and ammo storage), a written test, and two hours of range time including live fire. The NRA Basic Pistol class meets those requirements as long as the time requirements are met. The only Ohio-specific requirement is that you must provide a link to the Ohio Attorney General's Concealed Carry Laws Manual.

If you meet those requirements, you can be a resident of any state and for that matter can teach in any state and the class is acceptable for an Ohio license. As far as KY, FL, etc, you'd have to find out what their laws are, I really don't know.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Titan Actual wrote: I've been told that I can only teach in OH?
Who told you you this?

Ask them how they know this and how you can verify their info.
MyWifeSaidYes
rexles

Post by rexles »

Were you an NRA instructor when you lived in KY?
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
Titan Actual

Post by Titan Actual »

Thank you guys for the responses....I spoke with a few people and as long as my class is approved by the KY StatecPolice I'm permitted to teach in KY even if I'm not a resident. Once I get details of everything I'll post on here so other instructors can follow if they choose to do so.