Non-traditional Ranges

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CurbedSedition

Non-traditional Ranges

Post by CurbedSedition »

Hello all,

I'm looking for a place I'm able to go and practice some techniques such as drawing from a holster. I know most traditional ranges don't allow this. When I was stationed in Kansas I had close friends with lots of land. I'd been able to build rapport with them, but I haven't gotten plugged in anywhere in Columbus yet. I completely understand the need to gain someone's trust first. If anyone knows a good area but would prefer to build rapport first I'd be more than happy/willing to meet at a regular range and get to know people for awhile (even multiple meet-ups). Honestly my goal is to get comfortable and used to drawing a concealed weapon (once I get the permit, of course), taking aim and firing, then reloading. I'd really love to find a facility that is designed for room clearing exercises and such as well.

Any pointers?
Thanks!
The mind is like a parachute — it only works when it's open.
US Army • 56M • 2003-2012
OIF 2009-2010
VFW Member
someguy

Re: Non-traditional Ranges

Post by someguy »

Aimhi family firearms center in New Albany allows strong side outside waistband draw under certain circumstances.
As memory serves
1 You must be a member $300 or renew for $270.00 a year
2 A staff member must watch/approve your draw
3 Pay an additional fee. I don't really remember but I think $30.
4 In your case drive from Dublin to New Albany
Keep in mind this is indoors. If that is a concern
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

You might want to check out the IDPA matches I post monthly. Lots of great people to help and usually have to draw from concealment (strong side hip holster only) for every stage. Lot of fun and meet lots of great people as well. Don't worry about not "being good enough" or anything like that. All anyone cares about is that you demonstrate safe handling (the 4 rules are not flexible). We want you to have fun, be safe, meet great people, be safe, become more comfortable and familiar with your firearm, be safe. Did I mention be safe? Let them know it's your first time at your first match, take it slow at first even though it's tough to ignore many of the superb shooters out there, listen and watch.

You're in a good location for clubs. About an hour away from both PCSI (where I shot my first match after only have been shooting 4-5 months) and ALGC (where I almost always make their matches and enjoy the included lunch after).
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
nu3gawhat
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by nu3gawhat »

Briar Rabbit in Zanesville. It's a drive, but worth it to me.

You can draw, reload, and move around within the spacious pistol bays, not narrow lanes like indoor ranges. They have steel targets you can shoot or you can setup your own target stands. They have a nearly 400yd rifle range and shotgun shooting areas as well. Not too long ago they built some separate pistol bays that they reserved for matches not sure if it's just for USPSA or if the other pistol sports are using them now too. (Action pistol, 2 gun, etc. ).

Membership fees are very reasonable too. $100 a year for a single membership, $150 family.
Sneakypete
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Sneakypete »

nu3gawhat wrote:Briar Rabbit in Zanesville. It's a drive, but worth it to me.

You can draw, reload, and move around within the spacious pistol bays, not narrow lanes like indoor ranges. They have steel targets you can shoot or you can setup your own target stands. They have a nearly 400yd rifle range and shotgun shooting areas as well. Not too long ago they built some separate pistol bays that they reserved for matches not sure if it's just for USPSA or if the other pistol sports are using them now too. (Action pistol, 2 gun, etc. ).

Membership fees are very reasonable too. $100 a year for a single membership, $150 family.
I'll go a second on Briar Rabbit, especially that its changed hands. I've been going there for a few years for the action pistol/carbine matches.
Duty, Honor, Country.
These three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

You have never lived until you have almost died.
For those who have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know.
CurbedSedition

Post by CurbedSedition »

Awesome! Thank you very much for the suggestions! I will have to look into some of those :-)
The mind is like a parachute — it only works when it's open.
US Army • 56M • 2003-2012
OIF 2009-2010
VFW Member
Caver

Post by Caver »

We have lots of members from the Dublin area that belong to the Richwood Gun and Game Club. About 40 minutes. We run IDPA, 3 Gun Nation.
http://www.richwoodgunandgameclub.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Caver wrote:We have lots of members from the Dublin area that belong to the Richwood Gun and Game Club. About 40 minutes. We run IDPA, 3 Gun Nation.
http://www.richwoodgunandgameclub.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+1 for Richwood - nice facility. Good people too.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

nu3gawhat wrote:Briar Rabbit in Zanesville. It's a drive, but worth it to me.

And I thought this place was just for Sporting clays.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

I live in the Dublin area and regularly go to Blackwing Shooting Center about 15 minutes away. They will allow you to draw if you speak with the range officers to let them approve you. I practice drawing from a holster every time I'm there.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer