New Shooter getting his CCW

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

northhillguy

New Shooter getting his CCW

Post by northhillguy »

Guys,

Signed up for my CCW Class today. April 17th.

Now its time to practice a bit. I have been shooting for a few years, but always just for fun. What are some good basics to practice at? A paper plate at 15 yards? A silhouette at 30 yards. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks guys.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: New Shooter getting his CCW

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I would suggest reading the Ohio Concealed Carry Laws manual first. (Available at ohioattorneygeneral.gov)

Learning the law is far more important at this stage.

Can you hit a 4" circle on a paper plate from 10 feet away?

If so, that's great. If not, practice doing so.

Now, you're driving your girlfriend's car and stop at a red light. Do you know if you can shoot the panhandler that's trying to open the car door?
MyWifeSaidYes
northhillguy

Post by northhillguy »

Very good point. I was trying to get the manual last night, but the site was down.

I'll learn the laws some more. I can hit a 4" circle at 10 feet for sure. Not sure about under stress though.

I'll get the knowl first, then work on my shooting.

Thanks for the advice.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

^ Great advice. Firing the gun is the new, difficult part so that's what people usually focus on. They don't realize all the "new" involved with carrying a gun in public.

To add to MWSY's suggestions a bit:

Get a good holster (not a cheap nylon walmart one). If you're carrying a gun in public you need a holster that will (a) stay in place and keep the gun in place, and (b) completely cover the trigger guard. There are other good qualities but I don't want to overwhelm you.

Since you've owned a gun for a while I assume you know the 4 rules of firearm safety? If not, learn them and practice them. Complacency kills. Also, since carrying a gun in public involves a lot of important stuff that you haven't had to consider using your gun up 'til now for fun @ the range, learn about the Serious mistakes gunowners make.

Ok that's enough. I'm sure others will have more to carry.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

northhillguy wrote:Guys,

Signed up for my CCW Class today. April 17th.

Now its time to practice a bit. I have been shooting for a few years, but always just for fun. What are some good basics to practice at? A paper plate at 15 yards? A silhouette at 30 yards. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks guys.
My biggest advice to people that have been shooting for years: If the instructor corrects you on bad habits (grip/stance/ect.) - take it to heart. People tend to get in a habit - good or bad - after doing something long enough.

It still amazes me what people can do with minor grip adjustments sometimes.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Get a good holster (not a cheap nylon walmart one). If you're carrying a gun in public you need a holster that will (a) stay in place and keep the gun in place, and (b) completely cover the trigger guard. There are other good qualities but I don't want to overwhelm you.
And to continue with the above good advice, get a good gun belt (not a cheap Walmart belt) or the best holster in the world won't carry well.

And then re-read the AG Pamphlet. :wink:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
LegoGlock

Post by LegoGlock »

Don't forget magazines, ammo and training.
“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

LegoGlock wrote:Don't forget magazines, ammo and training.
Yep LegoGlock is a magazine hoarder! :P . But seriously, all good advice so far.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson