CRASE active shooter training

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

CRASE active shooter training

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/us/active ... -training/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The group had gathered for a Civilian Response to Active Shooter Events training held at Perimeter Church in the Atlanta suburb, one of several such events increasingly being held around the country. Jackson, Mississippi; Durham, New Hampshire; Greenfield, Indiana; Pampa, Texas; and Orem, Utah, are among the dozens of cities that have staged training sessions of late, and more seem to be popping up every week.
Pete Blair, executive director for Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training at Texas State University, which teaches police how to respond to active shooters, says Columbine sounded a "wake-up call."
and
Blair is a self-professed "
data-driven guy
," and there are a couple of statistics regarding active shootings that struck him: The first is that in one out of five incidents, it's the potential victims who stop the shooters; the second is that more than half of active shooter events are over before police arrive, which, on average, takes three minutes.
After this quote a data chart appears.

The problem with simply relying on raw data to form a conclusion is putting that data in the proper context. Anti gun groups for example are using the small % of armed citizens exchanging gunfire with active shooters as an example of how allowing CHL holders in CPV's doesn't work. You can't properly judge whether something is effective or not if you don't even legally allow the condition to occur. I saw one person comment on another site that since most active shooters that were stopped by the victims were by unarmed victims, therefore being unarmed was just as good as allowing people to carry guns. :?:
"Doing nothing doesn't work. Doing something does, and these are the statistics to prove it," Sgt. Todd Hood, a SWAT commander, told the crowd in Johns Creek. "Hide and hope? That's like a wing and a prayer. ... That's very problematic. That's not what we teach."
Myrick worries that because there's usually no warning when a gunman kicks in a door, "you've got to have something right at your fingertips that you can do. There's no time to do anything."
He'd also like to see well-trained, armed security personnel in schools. The United States spent billions on nuclear submarines and never fired a shot, he said. It was a mere deterrent. Why wouldn't we take the same approach to schools, which house "our most prized possessions as parents"?
Robert Adair, 60, an architect from Peachtree Corners, just south of Johns Creek, said he wasn't much of a gun guy until someone he knew was shot and kidnapped. While he agrees with the "avoid, deny, defend" philosophy, his primary purpose for attending the CRASE training was to understand his responsibility as a gun owner in an active shooter situation.
"I have a carry permit, and basically I want to find out what I should do or should not do if I find myself at a scene before the police arrive," he said.
Hood addressed his query during the two-hour session: "Law enforcement officers seldom tell you to grab a gun, but do it here. If they're bringing violence to you, they don't matter."
But once police arrive, Hood said, holster the weapon, get your hands up and promptly let police know that you're armed.
One of the problems with his advice is, most active shooter situations occur in CPV's. How are you supposed to grab a gun that you're not legally allowed to have on you? By the time you get to your car or home (assuming you have the chance to do that) most of the time the situation is over, or your opportunity to affect positive change is passed and keep the body count from going into double digits is gone.