Terror Attack: Head Shot?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Terror Attack: Head Shot?

Post by Mr. Glock »

TDI

FoF starts in Handgun 4 or 5 (I can't recall, they tend to run them both over 4 days, so it blends together). Then more in Handgun 6. And then FIST, which is Final Intensive Scenario Training (which sounds more exciting than Handgun 7), they only run that once every two years as it is manpower-intensive.

You have to work up their ladder to go to H6 then FIST.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Got it. Thanks. :)

I plan to make the TDI pilgrimage in the next few years.

With Anna now starting at away camps, I should see the ability to book my own away camp, soon. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Regarding the subject of head shots and active shooters, this was the potential scenario that I tested a .25 auto at almost 25 yards, but I wouldn't want to infer that just because something is technically possible, it is somehow a good idea.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &start=345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although I think it's interesting to see what a particular handgun or person is capable of doing, I think that the best equipment to handle multiple active shooters with long guns is with a long gun, not any kind of handgun. Still, it's not practical to go around carrying a long gun all the time. If you are a regular citizen and knew for a fact something was going down somewhere you probably shouldn't physically be there anyway. So because of this, if you're ever in an active shooter situation, you have to deal with the situation and equipment you have. The woman in the Israeli diner who drew a handgun from her purse and killed a terrorist before he was able to detonate his suicide vest, the two people in the US who took out multiple armed terrorists, among others, certainly prove it's possible.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Where's the "thumbs up" smiley in this Forum? :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Mr. Glock wrote:TDI

FoF starts in Handgun 4 or 5 (I can't recall, they tend to run them both over 4 days, so it blends together). Then more in Handgun 6. And then FIST, which is Final Intensive Scenario Training (which sounds more exciting than Handgun 7), they only run that once every two years as it is manpower-intensive.

You have to work up their ladder to go to H6 then FIST.
Although I cannot guarantee it, the last Fun n Gun at TDI did include some FoF.

+1 for TDI. I am looking forward to my first run at Handgun 4-5 this October.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yes, the Fun 'n' Gun at TDI has always included a station at the Force on Force house. Just a very basic scenario for each attendee, remainder of the time letting the instructors do some VERY informative show and tell regarding tactics, focusing on being in one's own home and coming under attack.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Brian D. wrote:Yes, the Fun 'n' Gun at TDI has always included a station at the Force on Force house. Just a very basic scenario for each attendee, remainder of the time letting the instructors do some VERY informative show and tell regarding tactics, focusing on being in one's own home and coming under attack.
Nothing gets your heart beat up like waiting for the FoF to start. The waiting is the worst part.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Mr. Glock wrote:The article makes a good point that a pelvic shot has its place in personal defense, but a combat-proven terrorist (or even a decently-trained one) will just keep shooting from the ground.

If you are elated at death, that changes the response to being shot. You expect it and plan to fight as long as possible. I think that point has some validity.

Sorry just made my way back to this thread. Yes I agree that pelvic shots are not optimal.. I look at it as at least hitting flesh and bone instead of rounds bouncing off of body armor.. But I agree even with a good pelvic shot, the attacker could fire from on the ground.. But, that is not a good way to be trying to shoot. It would be more of a spray and pray tactic.. Which hopefully would give the mobile good guy the ability to flank the attacker and get some closer head shots in... All of this is theoretical and anything can happen in any given circumstance.. Bullets and angles can do some weird crap lol.

But it is good to practice unconventional shots another good place is trying to shoot an armored attacker in the arm pit. Lots of tender exposed flesh and if you can get a bullet to start bouncing off of the ribcage lots of damage can occur. Usually anything on the sides is unprotected most terrorists wear front plates.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

That is an interesting observation. A decent round could certainly penetrate the upper arm, and then the upper chest.

From the side, obviously.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Even if its a straight through shot, you will most likely get at least one lung. And pneumothorax can come on quick. And it's hard to fight if you can't breathe.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson