South Cuyahoga Sportsmen Association

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Dynasty

South Cuyahoga Sportsmen Association

Post by Dynasty »

Any South Cuyahoga Sportsmen Association members on here?

I'm looking to join a club in 2016 and this is on my list to look into.

I'm located in Middleburg Hts and am willing to drive about an hour radius for the right club.

Can you please share your thoughts on the club? My main concern is finding a range that is safe, not crowded, and allows me to shoot pistols, rifles, and shotguns with out range officers yelling about shooting in bursts.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: South Cuyahoga Sportsmen Association

Post by WY_Not »

I was a member for several years till I moved down this way a few years back. Club/range/people were great. Good people, lots of room, lots of different disciplines/events. Usually not very crowded unless you are going down on a weekend before deer season. If I was still in the area, I'd definitely still be a member.

No bursts though. There is a "3-second" rule. Must allow 3 seconds between shots. Story I got is that some knucklehead rapid fired and the muzzle rose and shots went over the berm, factory about a mile away was not happy. Not sure how accurate that is but that is what I was told when I asked about the rule. Made it a bit tough to practice the various stages of the AQT for Appleseed. The only time they lift that rule is for the NRA High Power matches.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Dynasty

Post by Dynasty »

WY_Not wrote:I was a member for several years till I moved down this way a few years back. Club/range/people were great. Good people, lots of room, lots of different disciplines/events. Usually not very crowded unless you are going down on a weekend before deer season. If I was still in the area, I'd definitely still be a member.

No bursts though. There is a "3-second" rule. Must allow 3 seconds between shots. Story I got is that some knucklehead rapid fired and the muzzle rose and shots went over the berm, factory about a mile away was not happy. Not sure how accurate that is but that is what I was told when I asked about the rule. Made it a bit tough to practice the various stages of the AQT for Appleseed. The only time they lift that rule is for the NRA High Power matches.
Thanks for the reply.

The pistol and rifle range is located on the Chatham Grounds in Medina, correct? My main concern is showing up to the range and a lot of people being there resulting in having to "wait in line" to shoot. Do members bring their own targets?

Does the North Royalton location offer any firearms shooting or is it archery only?
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yes. Pistol/Rifle is on Chantham grounds in Medina. As far as I know the North Royalton grounds were archery only.

They've got a pretty long line so there shouldn't be an issue with waiting in line to shoot. There were never more than 3 maybe 4 other people on the line any time I went. The line could handle at least a dozen shooters easily. When I was still there the line was a combined line. ie at the far left you had the pistol/rimfire lanes (enough for about 4 or 5 shooters), the 100 yard lanes (enough for about 4 shooters), and the 200 yard lanes (enough for about 4 shooters). They also have trap/skeet range, a sporting clays course, NRA High Power matches, and hunting opportunities (small game such as rabbit and pheasant, duck/goose, and deer), as well as social events. They also do pistol matches.

They supply the target stands. You supply the targets.

When you join, you'll have to go through the safety orientation class then you'll be free to use the range. They do work parties throughout the year to offset some of the membership fees. I think it was 4 parties? Basically, spend part of a Saturday building target backers, helping with bird sets during pheasant season, posting signs around the property, assembling, folding, and labeling newsletters, etc. Plenty of things/dates to choose from. The work parties aren't just Saturday, so don't worry about tying up a couple of Saturdays if you don't want to.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Dynasty

Post by Dynasty »

WY_Not wrote:Yes. Pistol/Rifle is on Chantham grounds in Medina. As far as I know the North Royalton grounds were archery only.

They've got a pretty long line so there shouldn't be an issue with waiting in line to shoot. There were never more than 3 maybe 4 other people on the line any time I went. The line could handle at least a dozen shooters easily. When I was still there the line was a combined line. ie at the far left you had the pistol/rimfire lanes (enough for about 4 or 5 shooters), the 100 yard lanes (enough for about 4 shooters), and the 200 yard lanes (enough for about 4 shooters). They also have trap/skeet range, a sporting clays course, NRA High Power matches, and hunting opportunities (small game such as rabbit and pheasant, duck/goose, and deer), as well as social events. They also do pistol matches.

They supply the target stands. You supply the targets.

When you join, you'll have to go through the safety orientation class then you'll be free to use the range. They do work parties throughout the year to offset some of the membership fees. I think it was 4 parties? Basically, spend part of a Saturday building target backers, helping with bird sets during pheasant season, posting signs around the property, assembling, folding, and labeling newsletters, etc. Plenty of things/dates to choose from. The work parties aren't just Saturday, so don't worry about tying up a couple of Saturdays if you don't want to.
Sounds like a great club.

I notice on the website, they have an indoor range. Do you have any experience with the indoor range?
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Never shot in the indoor facilities. Did see them though. I did all of my shooting on the outdoor range. Unless they have changed them, that is where they held the pistol shoots and IDPA matches. They have huge rolls of kevlar(?) hung that they unroll and lower along the walls and then set up their targets for whatever setup they are using that event. That is about all I can tell you about the indoor pistol range. They had just completed a major expansion/remodel of the Chatham clubhouse the year we moved and I can't remember if the indoor range is now dedicated or if it still uses the rolled backing.

They also have several large ponds at the Medina and the North Royalton grounds for fishing.

Unless something has drastically changed in the 4 or so years since I've moved I can't imagine you'll regret joining.
Fenster

Post by Fenster »

I joined earlier this year. I'd agree with what was stated thus far.

There are tons of opportunities to get the work parties in - I scored sporting clays a couple of times and those counted.

It's cheap and the facilities are quite nice - I took some friends out there to shoot skeet and sporting clays, they all said it was nicer than Hill & Dale.

The Ridge facility has trap (Sundays only, I think), archery, and they do the range safety class and the kids' rifle stuff there.

Chatham has an indoor pistol range for IDPA that is NOT open for public use as far as I know. They also just recently built an outdoor area for IDPA but I don't know if it was put into use yet. There's a card-driven shared skeet/trap field as well as a separate 5-stand area. I haven't used the outdoor range yet - still need to figure out what rifle I'm going to buy.

Overall, a nice club and I've had a decent time there. I find it a bit hard to meet people at events though - most of the people tend to stay around those they know, but I'm going to keep trying!

Outdoor ranges are all closed at Chatham during hunting season, though, so keep that in mind given when you intend to join.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

My brother in law was a member. Was.
He said he got tired of packing up to go to the Medina range to shoot his AR-15, (after checking there website to make sure there was'nt an event that would close the range),
getting to the range and seeing "RANGE CLOSED" sign because people are training hunting dogs. When he asked someone in charge why this was not on the website, they just shrugged there shoulders.

It sounds like they are "hunting-centric", and don't care much about members who like to target shoot, or casual plinking . They are treated as 2nd class.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Never ran into that. Rifle range and bird dog areas were very much separate. Only time closure was an issue was during the fall/winter hunting seasons. During that time the rifle range was still open Sundays.

They are a sportsman's club so yeah, they are a bit "hunting-centric" but they have NRA Highpower nearly every month, IDPA, etc. Plenty of opportunities to shoot a WIDE variety of "styles". About the only thing I can think of that they don't do is CASS. Never felt like a second class member when I was there with the ARs or pistols. Only time I ever got any flack was when I went to my first NRA Highpower match and started slinging up for the standing stage. After many Appleseed shoots, I was used to the sling being a tool that is meant to be used, not just a way to carry the rifle.
JU-87 wrote:My brother in law was a member. Was.
He said he got tired of packing up to go to the Medina range to shoot his AR-15, (after checking there website to make sure there wasn't an event that would close the range),
getting to the range and seeing "RANGE CLOSED" sign because people are training hunting dogs. When he asked someone in charge why this was not on the website, they just shrugged there shoulders.

It sounds like they are "hunting-centric", and don't care much about members who like to target shoot, or casual plinking . They are treated as 2nd class.
Ring

Post by Ring »

"with out range officers yelling about shooting in bursts."....

LOL... at SCSA, if its not a black powder then its firing too fast for them....

range rule is 1 shot every 3-5 sec i believe... only exception is the INDOORS IDPA shoots at chatham

IDPA is open to the public, cost is 8$ i think.... info on website..
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Story that was told to me by a couple of the old timers there was that the 3 second rule was implemented after some idiot was shooting rapid fire, got trigger happy, walked the rounds right up the backstop, and managed to lob a few over the backstop; landing who knows where. No idea the veracity of the tale but that is what I was told. Still, 3 seconds is more than enough time to do stage 2 or 3 of NRA High Power or Appleseed. And, they do lift the 3 second rule for the NRA High Power matches. Not sure if anyone has gotten an Appleseed hosted there or not; been out of the area for about 4 years or so.

Practiced all four stages of Appleseed on the rifle range and never had an issue doing so.

Either way, great range, great facility, great club. If I was still in the area I would still be a member.
Ring

Post by Ring »

i was a member there back in the 80's and 90's... same BS then...

they have had more then a few go over the back stop, it has nothing to do with rapid fire... go look at the roof over the range, and you will see what i mean...

the problem is the "leadership" are a bunch of old FUDDs

at 1 time a member was going to get a whole cowboy action range set up... that could have been used for IDPA and IPSC, it wouldnt have cost the club a dime in supplies, he had everything ready to be donated...
they could have made a ton off of match fee's...
they said no... :roll: