Question about a potential student

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

Re: Question about a potential student

Post by Tweed Ring »

There are possible ways to shortcut these classes. I would not have to justify such a bad decision before a judge, a prosecutor, nor a jury.
fireman

Post by fireman »

I am sure there are many ways to short cut these classes. Why bother even having a class. If one wanted...just sell certificates.

I believe TR, you have a saying....about life and choices...

I will not have anything to explain before a judge or a prosecutor.

Should this person choose to apply, using her previous training....I have nothing in that. The Sheriff probably won't accept the application if whatever she uses doesn't meet the requirements. That is why I've recommended she look into that avenue.

I simply came here to with my question, to see if my understanding of the law is correct. Much like the military dischage with pistol qualification within 10yrs allows that person to not take the class. I believe the OPOTA training does as well. I could be wrong...have been before....will be many more times.

I am not sure where this thread drifted into trying to shortcut the system.... Allow me to repeat.... I will NOT be issuing a certificate for any abridged training that I conduct.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I used to train a 12 hour defensive baton class. Because the 12 hours typically cost overtime, a number of supervisors or managers asked me to cut the class to 8 hours. I always refused these requests.

Why? My name would be on the certificate of successful completion. No one would know or care, until we went to court. Then, my name would be called, and I would have to explain why I went against the lesson plan. No thanks.

I had one administrator demand I fail a student. I worked very hard with him to ensure he passed the course. I was never invited back to train at that facility, but I did what I knew was right.
fireman

Post by fireman »

Interesting story...thanks

I have recommended that the prospective concealed carrier contact sheriff's office, with the application and her certificates and see if she meets the requirements established by the law. Then she can determine if she needs the full class. Should she do so, and would like someone to help her with the laws and shadow her at the range, then I will do so. For a nominal fee. Should she need the full class, and can meet my criteria to conduct a class, I am again, willing and ready.

Had hoped someone with knowledge of the OPOTA classes would have responded, instead of storytelling.

fireman

Post by fireman »

Oh yeah, I forgot to add...I once taught a ventilation class. The students were eager to get out early. It was on a Saturday afternoon after all, and they weren't being paid to be there...I was...they had paid to be there.

Once I went beyond the lesson plan, and showed then how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble a Sthil chainsaw. They later thanked me.

Its that same approach I take when i instruct a firearms class...

Now I'm telling stories. ..
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

fireman, in answer to your question:

I know of a number of people who have used OPOTA certs when obtaining CHLs, in multiple counties, without any other training certs involved.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.