Instructor training certification

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sunfish valley

Instructor training certification

Post by sunfish valley »

Does your Instructor Certification Expire, I know that if you have a NRA certification you can renew your member certification yearly, Question is, There is no continual education requirements to hold this certification, do you have to pay the NRA to continue to teach ccw classes. I can see this if you are teaching and using the NRA packets. ?? Question came about, because a fellow instructor told me you had to teach at least 5 students a year, I have never herd this before.
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Ohio Hunter Education Instructor
pirateguy191

Re: Instructor training certification

Post by pirateguy191 »

sunfish valley wrote:Does your Instructor Certification Expire, I know that if you have a NRA certification you can renew your member certification yearly, Question is, There is no continual education requirements to hold this certification, do you have to pay the NRA to continue to teach ccw classes. I can see this if you are teaching and using the NRA packets. ?? Question came about, because a fellow instructor told me you had to teach at least 5 students a year, I have never herd this before.
I thought it was one class per year. I could be wrong.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
sunfish valley

Post by sunfish valley »

I also had a guy that got his certification a couple years ago, his father was a instructor, he sat in on a couple of classes with his father but never taught a class himself. His father got killed in an accident, and he lost interest in it for awhile, he didn't pay to renew his NRA certification and it expired, he now has a renewed interest, because there is no continuing education requirements, can he pay up his dues, and teach nra classes, or can he teach a class he develops that meets the states requirements, ( by already going thru the instructors classes ). ??
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

One class per year was my understanding as well.

You also have to may the biannual fee to maintain your credentials ($30 each 2 years if you are an NRA member - and why wouldn't you be an NRA member if you are an NRA Instructor...?)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sunfish valley

Post by sunfish valley »

Ok, how does the NRA know you have taught your class for the year, If your not required to register your classes ??, Does this class have to have 1 student 5 students, 10 students ??. If your not required to use NRA material to teach a ccw class , why would you have to pay to keep your nra credentials ??.
Once you have been certified to instruct these classes, there is no mandate that I am aware of to continue to update your certification!, So if you continue to instruct these classes, and not pay for NRA credentials, are you still certified.??
These are some of the questions that are being ask..
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

sunfish valley wrote:Ok, how does the NRA know you have taught your class for the year, If your not required to register your classes ??,
If you want to maintain your NRA credentials, you must register at least one class per year, as I understand it. Teach as many classes as you like, but you need to register at least one of them through the NRA instructors portal under your NRA instructor ID.

sunfish valley wrote:Does this class have to have 1 student 5 students, 10 students ??.
My understanding is that there is no specified class size, so a single registered class with a single registered student would be sufficient.

sunfish valley wrote:If your not required to use NRA material to teach a ccw class , why would you have to pay to keep your nra credentials ??.
Because as I read ORC 2923.125, if you don't maintain your NRA Instructor credentials (or credentials from another national gun rights organization), you can no longer teach classes that meet the legal requirements for a Concealed Handgun License in Ohio regardless of whether or not you teach an NRA class or use their materials.

sunfish valley wrote:Once you have been certified to instruct these classes, there is no mandate that I am aware of to continue to update your certification!, So if you continue to instruct these classes, and not pay for NRA credentials, are you still certified.??
As I said above, the way I read ORC 2923.125 you must be certified, and by that, I understand it to mean *currently* certified, by a national gun advocacy organization, regardless of whether or not you are using their class or class materials.

Now, I'm not a lawyer so my reading may not be accurate. But it certainly makes sense to me that it would be that way - and if a County Sheriff were to look up your NRA Instructor ID while checking a student's application for a CHL and saw that it was expired, I would expect that he would deny the application.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Those that are saying you must teach one class a year are incorrect. The NRA has claimed they want to go that route but they have never enforced it. How do I know? According to their instructor portal the last "Official" NRA class I taught was in 2012. I have since renewed my credentials twice and have been successful in renewing.

The NRA has claimed every year they want to go that route by forcing one class a year to maintain their credentials. I forget the number, but it is quite large the number of people that have NRA instructor certification. The NRA is trying to crack down on people just getting it to meet state requirements and not teach their course. Ultimately though, they have never enforced that you must teach their course. I"m sure one day they will thought.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
mreising

Post by mreising »

The NRA is pushing Training Counselors to teach at least one instructor course per year to maintain TC status. I'm not sure if they have rejected any TC renewals yet, based on that requirement.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

mreising wrote:The NRA is pushing Training Counselors to teach at least one instructor course per year to maintain TC status. I'm not sure if they have rejected any TC renewals yet, based on that requirement.
My TC told me he needed to have at least 4 students for a instructor course.

As it stands right now, you can teach any class you want as an NRA certified instructor, but you CANNOT even suggest that it is an NRA class.

There are even guidelines regarding the font size of the class you are advertising relative to the size of the "NRA Certified Instructor" under your name.

I don't think the NRA will ever "require" instructors to ONLY teach their classes, mainly because there are simply too many things that can be taught for one organization to cover them all.
MyWifeSaidYes
mreising

Post by mreising »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
mreising wrote:The NRA is pushing Training Counselors to teach at least one instructor course per year to maintain TC status. I'm not sure if they have rejected any TC renewals yet, based on that requirement.
My TC told me he needed to have at least 4 students for a instructor course.

As it stands right now, you can teach any class you want as an NRA certified instructor, but you CANNOT even suggest that it is an NRA class.

There are even guidelines regarding the font size of the class you are advertising relative to the size of the "NRA Certified Instructor" under your name.

I don't think the NRA will ever "require" instructors to ONLY teach their classes, mainly because there are simply too many things that can be taught for one organization to cover them all.
The point is, in order to maintain the NRA certified instructor status, one would have to teach at least one course per year, and if it isn't registered with the NRA (NRA or non-NRA course), they won't have the data to determine whether renewal is granted. As far as needing at least 4 instructor candidates for a course, that would partly stem from the requirement that candidates demo-teach portions of the course and critique (and be critiqued by) other candidates.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
sunfish valley

Post by sunfish valley »

Thanks everyone for the reply's. This was my thinking also, but wanted to verify before I told them something that was not correct.
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I'm wanting to take some instructor classes myself.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Bama.45 wrote:I'm wanting to take some instructor classes myself.
These folks are in Tipp City...

http://3gtactical.com/training/train-with-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
Ring

Post by Ring »

NRA adding 60$ to the CCW class..
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/184136 ... ourse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

other then NRA, who else is "national gun advocacy organization"
the way Ohio law now reads, looks like a NRA instructor can teach the class and side step the NRA $$ buy issuing his own cert..

Ohio
Training and Competency Certification
A certificate of completion of a class that was open to the public that used instructors approved by a national gun advocacy organization

A certificate of completion of a class not otherwise described in this publication that was conducted by an instructor who was certified by an official or entity of Ohio, another state, the United States government, or a national gun advocacy organization that complies with the minimum educational requirements; or
• An affidavit from a qualified instructor that attests to the applicant’s completion of a course that satisfied the minimum educational requirements;

"ORC 2923.125(B)(3)(a)

The law sets out minimum educational requirements that are a component of the various forms of competency certification as set forth previously.
The total time required for training is 8 hours with a minimum of 2 hours of in-person training that consists of range time and live-fire training. The law requires certified training in the following matters:
• The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;
• The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;
• The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;
• Gun-handling training.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Ring wrote:NRA adding 60$ to the CCW class..
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/184136 ... ourse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

other then NRA, who else is "national gun advocacy organization"
USCCA for one, not sure of any others (but I remember reading somewhere a while back about SAF doing something along the lines of certifying instructors, not sure.)
NRA Life Member