Can we teach the shorter class now?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

klibben10

Re: Can we teach the shorter class now?

Post by klibben10 »

As a hobby-instructor, rather than full-time instructor, I think I'll stick with the NRA course for now (although the blended learning might change that). I like their course (for the most part) and don't want to have to create my own, although I suppose I could still run off their handbook and just make my own certificates if it comes down to it. I'll wait and see what the blended learning evolves into…but thanks for the input.

And just to be clear, I completely understand the certificate will make it clear the course was only 8 hours and they know they won't be able to apply until March 20th.
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject
fireman

Post by fireman »

Klibben, mine is a similar situation as I already have a career... My conern with using any NRA materials would be if they found out. Not sure of the (if any) recourse, and I don't know if they even watch for that stuff... Would hate to have my instructor cert yanked though.

I plan on developing my own program based on at a minimum, meeting state requirements. Each class would then be slightly different based on students prior knowledge and abilities.

As far as price, my thinking is "my hourly rate just went up"....will still charge same as I did for the 12hr class.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

When I go back to instructing, I intend to use the NRA class and materials.
fireman

Post by fireman »

Tweed Ring, will you utilize the online portion, or use the material and instruct your own class?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

If I go alone, I'll use the current method. If I team-teach, I'll use whatever my training partner recommends. I'm not impressed with on-line training.
fireman

Post by fireman »

I am not impressed either, by the online trainings. Some our required CEU's to maintain the EMT-P portion of my credentials have gone to online learning. I've been in my career for 20+ years, and fail to see how watching something online, can replace actual hands on, instructor led education... But such is progress I suppose.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

fireman wrote:Klibben, mine is a similar situation as I already have a career... My conern with using any NRA materials would be if they found out. Not sure of the (if any) recourse, and I don't know if they even watch for that stuff... Would hate to have my instructor cert yanked though.

I plan on developing my own program based on at a minimum, meeting state requirements. Each class would then be slightly different based on students prior knowledge and abilities.

As far as price, my thinking is "my hourly rate just went up"....will still charge same as I did for the 12hr class.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
The biggest thing is eventually one won't be able to even purchase their supplies. It's been questionable if they will still produce the booklet or not. If they quit producing that, then there is one very valuable piece that will not longer be able to be given to students. Sure, one could copy it if they want to violate copyright laws, but since I'm big on not stealing someone else's creation, you won't see me supporting anyone that does that.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
fireman

Post by fireman »

Jedi, I agree wholeheartedly. Haven't looked into other resources that may be available, yet. (Christmas and New Years and all lol)

While I would never advocate copyright infringement to anyone, those of us in the employment of the public, would be especially foolish to take such a risk!!

I have been involved in adult education at the State Fire Academy, so I am sure of my capabilities to develop a class (my ex wife is a professor for one of our state universities as well...and we still talk, excellent resource)

I am of the opinion, based not only on my learning style, but experience teaching others...some things are best learnt with a hands on approach. I definitely include firearms as one of those topics. Not just the actual firing....there is so much more, as I am sure we all know, that we must be able to help the student to understand.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I think you are being too optimistic MWSY. I highly doubt they will do the online portion for $11 (15 if you include shipping). Therefore any extra cost is more for the NRA and less for me.
Optimism is a bad thing?

All these years of being cynical (and being right) and people tell me to lighten up.

All these years of being a pessimist (more like, a realist) and people tell me to cheer up.

Just once, I try optimism...and look what happens.

:P
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:I think you are being too optimistic MWSY. I highly doubt they will do the online portion for $11 (15 if you include shipping). Therefore any extra cost is more for the NRA and less for me.
Optimism is a bad thing?

All these years of being cynical (and being right) and people tell me to lighten up.

All these years of being a pessimist (more like, a realist) and people tell me to cheer up.

Just once, I try optimism...and look what happens.

:P
Well, consindering the online RSO course is $125 and the online Refuse to Be a Victim Instructor is $250, I don't see them doing the NRA Basic Pistol for less than $100. And that happens to be what I currently charge for a class. So to me pricing is going to go up unless I spend the time developing my own class and then just find someone on here willing to waste $100 ever two years to help me maintain my NRA Certification.

If you are right and it's cheap, less than $50, I'll buy you dinner. But I wouldn't hold out for that meal. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

fireman wrote:I am not impressed either, by the online trainings. Some our required CEU's to maintain the EMT-P portion of my credentials have gone to online learning. I've been in my career for 20+ years, and fail to see how watching something online, can replace actual hands on, instructor led education... But such is progress I suppose.

I’ve been involved in training adults, in both the classroom and the gym for a number of years. In 2004, I started training Ohio’s CHL classes. I don’t believe the students will receive the same amount of feedback one receives in the classroom setting versus that which one can obtain via computer training.
BobK

Post by BobK »

When the training time in Texas dropped from 10 hours plus range time to 4 hours plus range time in Sept 2013, the cost of training did not appreciably drop. Instructors still have fixed costs, room/facility rentals, range expenses, etc., so the price is not solely driven by a per hour rate.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
klibben10

Post by klibben10 »

JediSkipdogg wrote: Well, consindering the online RSO course is $125 and the online Refuse to Be a Victim Instructor is $250, I don't see them doing the NRA Basic Pistol for less than $100.

The one thing that might save us on this is that those are advanced courses, and usually instructors/RSOs have the chance to make money after taking them. Basic Pistol is a beginner course without profit…so there is a slight chance we come out cheaper. I'm not holding my breath, but if they are smart it'll be as cheap as possible…if you want to get more people into shooting sports and 2nd amendment support you'll need to make it as approachable to as many people as possible.
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JediSkipdogg wrote:...

If you are right and it's cheap, less than $50, I'll buy you dinner. But I wouldn't hold out for that meal. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'll hold you to it.

I'll be nice and say "Blue Ash Chili" instead of "Montgomery Inn", unless you want to come up to Columbus. Then it will be "Thurman Café". I've got a hankerin' for a Thurmanator.

http://thethurmancafe.zippykidcdn.com/w ... n-Menu.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
The biggest thing is eventually one won't be able to even purchase their supplies. It's been questionable if they will still produce the booklet or not. If they quit producing that, then there is one very valuable piece that will not longer be able to be given to students. Sure, one could copy it if they want to violate copyright laws, but since I'm big on not stealing someone else's creation, you won't see me supporting anyone that does that.
Buy the books one time and reuse them. Helps keep the cost of the class down because you aren't requiring someone to buy a book they might not want after the class is over.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB