Can we teach the shorter class now?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Can we teach the shorter class now?

Post by schmieg »

There are still people who don't have internet access who will be interested in getting qualified. If the NRA goes to all online training, they will be eliminating a fair number of potential customers.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

schmieg wrote:There are still people who don't have internet access who will be interested in getting qualified. If the NRA goes to all online training, they will be eliminating a fair number of potential customers.
According to them the instructors are then suppose to provide computers. So now I'm suppose to allow someone into my classroom to use a computer while I watch them for 6 or so hours and either charge them a babysitting fee or do it for free.

A training counselor I had dinner with the other night said it best. If the NRA would just send out secret students and then ding bad instructors they would have more easily solved this problem instead of creating a mess. And the easiest method is to just make a change to the training counselor program telling them that they must observe three or so classes a year to maintain counselor status and they will be reiumbursed the cost of the class.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

What "problem" do they think they're solving?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Chuck wrote:What "problem" do they think they're solving?
My understanding from being present at the annual meeting last year where this was first mentioned was a more uniform training experience. They believe there are alot of NRA instructors out there cutting corners in the class and not teaching 100% by their material. Therefore, this makes every student get the same exact material taught to them.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

My big issue with the whole online thing is that I would still have to sign off on a certificate that says they completed the required 8 hours of instruction. I have no idea who was actually on the other end of the computer taking the on line portion. Color me skeptical, but I know some people will be dishonest with me.

One of the places I teach uses the NRA curriculum. Elsewhere I teach my own. I've been pushing for the shop to drop the NRA class altogether, but without success. This may be the thing that tilts the decision in my favor.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
Ring

Post by Ring »

with NRA adding 60$ to the CCW class..
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/184136 ... ourse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the way Ohio law now reads, looks like a NRA instructor can teach the class and side step the NRA $$ buy issuing his own cert..

other then NRA, who else is "national gun advocacy organization"

Ohio
Training and Competency Certification
A certificate of completion of a class that was open to the public that used instructors approved by a national gun advocacy organization

A certificate of completion of a class not otherwise described in this publication that was conducted by an instructor who was certified by an official or entity of Ohio, another state, the United States government, or a national gun advocacy organization that complies with the minimum educational requirements; or
• An affidavit from a qualified instructor that attests to the applicant’s completion of a course that satisfied the minimum educational requirements;

"ORC 2923.125(B)(3)(a)

The law sets out minimum educational requirements that are a component of the various forms of competency certification as set forth previously.
The total time required for training is 8 hours with a minimum of 2 hours of in-person training that consists of range time and live-fire training. The law requires certified training in the following matters:
• The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;
• The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;
• The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;
• Gun-handling training.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Ring wrote:with NRA adding 60$ to the CCW class..
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/184136 ... ourse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the way Ohio law now reads, looks like a NRA instructor can teach the class and side step the NRA $$ buy issuing his own cert..

other then NRA, who else is "national gun advocacy organization"
USCCA for one, not sure of any others (but I remember reading somewhere a while back about SAF doing something along the lines of certifying instructors, not sure.)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!