Serpentine!! Serpentine!!

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Serpentine!! Serpentine!!

Post by cashman966 »

Interesting Article and test results from Greg Ellifritz at Active Response Training

“Don’t Run in a Straight Line” and other Bad Advice

When listening to experts describe how to flee from an attacker who is shooting, the most common statement heard is “Don’t run in a straight line.” Many people advocate running in a zig-zag pattern or running in a crouched position instead. A target that is small or that moves randomly will theoretically be more difficult to hit
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Serpentine!! Serpentine!!

Post by Stryker74 »

Movement in general is your best option. Since this was Greg's article, I don't mind mentioning TDI's training points.

They teach a "Get off the X" mentality, and don't stop moving until you get to cover. The idea is to move, and not get your feet planted in a spot - as staying in that spot could wind up being deadly. That was a big part of the furtive movements section of the training as well. (I stumbled on this one too - instructor turned his back to me, and I just stood there in that same spot like a dummy.)

I don't recall the instructors mentioning any patterns to move away from the threat - but just move. The only specific movement I remember them putting forth was being able to move forward, backward, and side-to-side while firing. That was more to get you into working your feet without much thought in case you had to fire while moving. As part of that exercise, they taught a sliding backwards step (think in terms of the 'Monnwalk') so that your heel could work to find obstructions behind you rather than you falling over them (like a curb for instance).

But, with an active shooter - it would seem that any movement is better than no movement. I like to keep it simple myself - straight lines to cover are simple enough for me.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Serpentine!! Serpentine!!

Post by TSiWRX »

Thanks for that read, cashman966. I've only recently subscribed to his feed, and I'm still working through his backlog of articles. I find them to be well-reasoned and will-written: easy to digest as well as apply to my life.

I think that this particular article relates well to his recent entry on the vehicle/mob/firebombing scenario.

It's really interesting for me to see his data (regardless of how small a set it is) regarding participants with knee issues. My knees are good-to-go, however, I do have a problem ankle. "Cutting" isn't something that I do well, and that's not something that I'd thought about very much in this particular way. That's definitely a good take-home for me.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio