Communication skills, another good tactic...

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ApexShootingTactics

Communication skills, another good tactic...

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

Your mouth has a way of getting you into and out of trouble. Good communication skills just happen to be another good tactic everyone needs to keep ready. A friend of mine passed this along and I think it has some solid points.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/i ... -encounter
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Communication skills, another good tactic...

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Enteresting article..

How about compliments ? Like , I love your nose ring or I love your hair doo...? :!:

Thanks for the article.....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I do volunteer work and run a volunteer group which provides guidance and counseling to ex-offenders. Couple of months ago, we had a new client, referred by a local parole officer. He was young, crazy, agitated, confrontational, probably high, and possibly armed – the perfect storm for the situation to go sideways, and at a high rate of speed.

I was in a sour mood, and although I understand those rules for dealing with criminal underclass, I failed to observe and follow them. The situation escalated and we finally got the scamp out of the room. Everyone was rattled by this experience.

These are excellent rules for dealing with criminals, ex-felons, and dealing with strangers.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

One of the principles often preached to me in Akido is to look at things from your opponents position. If your opponent is expecting compliance, feign compliance as you change the tables on him by surprise.

If he is trying to grab you and take you in a certain direction, it can be beneficial to feign moving with him before suddenly changing directions. If you react by jerking away, it can often escalate his attack. By complying at first, it makes the surprise change of direction that much more effective.

I think the same is true for verbal confrontations. I don't think it necessarily requires complements, but I think using phrases like "Yes sir", "let me get my wallet for you" etc, can go a long way to covering for going for a weapon and the eventual counter attack.