Heading to TDI this weekend...

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Heading to TDI this weekend...

Post by Stryker74 »

JEaton wrote:Ole_Griz, the FnG is a little different because you are all moving around to different areas away from the main range. During most classes, you are at 'a' location. It may be the lower range, the steel plates, upper range, the live-fire house, the jungle lane etc. For 1-3, most of the time is at the lower range with some time in the live fire houses. You are right there at your cars almost all of the time and when you are not, they will tell you make sure you bring ???/??? to the live fire house or upper range.

My son and I will back down there this weekend, any others going?

JLE
I won't make it again until next year. :(

I would load up 6-7 boxes of 9mm in my range bag to start the day. I could easily get more out of the vehicle if needed.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SnareMan

Post by SnareMan »

As has been mentioned, there is plenty of time to get stuff whenever you need it. They recommend 1800 rounds, but the 3 times I've done 1-3 I usually only shoot around 1100. You can shoot as much or as little as you want. They might say "do this drill and shoot around 30 rounds." If you shoot 5 rounds or 60 rounds they don't care. Shoot what your hands and wallet can tolerate. On Sunday you split up into groups to go through the different areas and there is plenty of time to get between them. You mostly stay at the lower range and either walk to the close live fire houses or sometimes John will tote you around in one of the little vehicles.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Where do people stay when taking TDI courses? Elsewhere on this forum it shows that Shawnee Lodge & Conf Center is posted, so that seems out. There appears to be a Comfort Inn in Seaman. There are a few hotel/motel in West Union. And B&B nearby, here and there.

I understand that I'm going to want to spend some time each night cleaning my firearm(s) and getting ready for the next day (my friend and I are doing Handgun 1-3 in 2015).

So, where do people stay when taking TDI courses?
SnareMan

Post by SnareMan »

a lot of people, myself included, stay at the Comfort Inn. There is a diner and pizza place right next to it. You can get free breakfast at the hotel or we usually go over to the diner for breakfast and get a to go order that we take for lunch. We have stayed at murphin ridge. It is really nice but pretty expensive. Food is amazing but kind of expensive if you are not going to be taking advantage of all the grounds there. the Comfort Inn is about a half hour away so are you going to drive a little bit in the morning and evening. There are some places in town in West Union but we have never stayed at them. That's about half the distance from the Comfort Inn
Voice

Post by Voice »

I may not be the best judge of time requirements. I was parked pretty close to the main range for the first few days, and packed MREs for lunches.

I had enough time to get water and such when I needed it, though. I just had a basic small duffel ymtgat I use as my range vag, and an ammo box full of rounds.

Do yourself a favor though. If you don't already have one, get a msg loader of some sort. My thumb is *still* acting up from the stress of loading magazines for 3 straight days.
SnareMan

Post by SnareMan »

That's a great point. I definitely second the idea of having a loader like an uplula. Your thumbs will thank you. Also, depending on how much you shoot or if you already have shooting callouses on your hands, you might want to bring some medical tape to wrap parts of your hands that might get sore.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Voice wrote:I just had a basic small duffel ymtgat I use as my range vag...

Um....OK.....

:lol: :lol:

OK, no, seriously:
SnareMan wrote:That's a great point. I definitely second the idea of having a loader like an uplula. Your thumbs will thank you. Also, depending on how much you shoot or if you already have shooting callouses on your hands, you might want to bring some medical tape to wrap parts of your hands that might get sore.
If you start doing serious work like this, pack a couple of different loaders. The Maglula UpLULA is great if you have a hard surface to work on, but without, it's virtually useless. Something like the HKS, Magloader, or the Springfield Armory XD-Gear magazine loader which works in a "single hand" manner should also be in the range-bag.

Yes, your fingertips will toughen-up over time. I prefer to load "manually" while chatting with classmates - but in a rush, nothing beats a good loading tool. :)

And SnareMan's advice of some medical tape is also a good idea. You'll likely have to experiment a bit to get one that you prefer. Some kind of bigger coverage area sports/athletic tape is also a good idea, as cuts can occur in odd places on the hands, particularly during vigorous manipulations.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

rimfireOH wrote:Where do people stay when taking TDI courses? Elsewhere on this forum it shows that Shawnee Lodge & Conf Center is posted, so that seems out. There appears to be a Comfort Inn in Seaman. There are a few hotel/motel in West Union. And B&B nearby, here and there.

I understand that I'm going to want to spend some time each night cleaning my firearm(s) and getting ready for the next day (my friend and I are doing Handgun 1-3 in 2015).

So, where do people stay when taking TDI courses?
I stayed over in Scioto county - Portsmouth area. I grew up in that area, so it was a chance to see family too.

About 45 minute drive once the bridge is fixed. Otherwise, add on 10-15 for the detour.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ole_grizzly
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ole_grizzly »

Thanks everyone. I'm going oct 10-12 for handgun 1-3, coming from Cleveland. Anyone else going that weekend?
What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too - the Repo man
Voice

Post by Voice »

TSiWRX wrote:
Voice wrote:I just had a basic small duffel ymtgat I use as my range vag...

Um....OK.....

:lol: :lol:
Wow. Missed that typo. '...duffle bag that...' No idea what a 'ymtgat' is, but my phone apparently doesn't auto-correct it.

As for the medical tape, etc. definitely a good idea. The finger pain for me isn't finger-tip, it's joint. I ought to be too danged young for arthritis, but I'm pretty sure I've got it.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Ouch, that doesn't sound fun at all. :cry:

As for the typos. Dude, that really made my day. It was all kinds of funny! :lol: :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio