Five NEVERs of Self-Defense

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Sound like good rules to me. Short clip from movie "The Onion Field" and the "Zodiac Killer".

Not for the faint of heart.

There are some things you must never do when confronted with an armed assailant. We mean never, ever, not because these events never end well, but because they usually don’t, and because violating these hard and fast rules takes the agency of your survival out of your own hands. You owe it to Adam and Eve and all the rest of your bloodline to preserve your life.

#1: NEVER go with the assailant to a second location. Why do you think he wants you to go there? (There are actually several possibilities, but they’re all bad).
http://weaponsman.com/?p=17511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
gfrlaser

Re: Five NEVERs of Self-Defense

Post by gfrlaser »

And never, never, ever say

"I'll be right back"
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

I recall a session at TDI along these lines - action and reaction to scenarios - that hits #1 on the head.

What stuck out to me was something that particular instructor said about a hostage type encounter in a public setting of a store, carry-out, ect.:

"You can be pretty sure that if the bad guy tells you to go to the back room, he intends to kill you. He just doesn't want to do it where he might be on video tape - but he does not have any intention of just locking you in the back room."

While these are great points, I think you are already "behind the 8 ball" if those are your options in a self-defense situation.

Biggest problem many of us will likely have in such an encounter is that we will get lead feet. You have to react with every part of your body - your mind needs to actively access the threat, your arm and hand need to draw your weapon (which is not easy from concealment without practice), and your feet need to move. We often practice 'head on a swivel', and probably a lot of us practice our draw. But, how many of us practice moving with all that going on?

If you are caught out in the open, you are in the worst tactical spot you can be in - so you have to move to cover. IDPA shooters are probably better at this than many of us, as that is usually part of the stages. However, you know ahead of time where your cover is going to be - try practicing someone telling you at the last second where to move to for cover. Makes it interesting to put it all together - and certainly not easy at first.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

One of the very reasons armed criminals tend to use a blitz attack – it gives them a tactical advantage. Action versus reaction, etc.
ventura

Post by ventura »

In the book Strong on Defense Sanford Strong strongly ( :D just had to use another strong word hehe) advocates, especially for women, not to allow themselves to be taken to a 2nd location. Obviously you will probably be taken to an even more isolated area where the intended evil will be more easily and secretly acted out, unless you are 'actually' being taken to an atm for withdrawals etc. The book is one I give and recommend to women all the time. Unfortunately his take on firearms is no one I agree with and is a small part of the book.