Advanced pistol course at Miami Valley Shooting Grounds

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ThreeEyedRaven

Advanced pistol course at Miami Valley Shooting Grounds

Post by ThreeEyedRaven »

Since I got my permit recently I been thinking of places that offer extra training. I came across a good sounding one at MVSG. Is their advanced pistol course any good? What other extra training would you all recommend in and around the dayton area?
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Advanced pistol course at Miami Valley Shooting Grounds

Post by Stryker74 »

I cannot say enough about Tactical Defense Institute, and their Handgun Level 1-3 class. Having taken the class, I am already planning to take Level 2-3 again.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=80531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is a little farther away from the Dayton area - but unless you live in the immediate area of Adams county, you should plan to stay closer for the class.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xd9allthetime

Post by xd9allthetime »

There is more than a few negative comments regarding MVSG on these boards. I have had both good and bad interactions with the staff at that facility, enough so that I found another place to shoot. The training staff may be a different set of folks but just be cautious. YMMV.

As Stryker said, TDI is one of the most recognized training facilities around but it does come at a cost. For instance Level I, II, and III are taught in three days and it's $200 per day. For the three days that's $600.00. Unless you live close to West Union, OH you will have to consider lodging and food for the three days which could cost another couple hundred for the weekend. Then there is a 1800 round minimum for the three courses which if you're running 9mm will be another ~$400 - $500.00 in expense and that will get more expensive if you are shooting .40 or .45. So while TDI by all accounts is one of the most recognized training facilities around, you need to be prepared to invest north of $1000 for the training.
Great minds think alike, unfortunately so do stupid ones...
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

xd9allthetime wrote:Then there is a 1800 round minimum for the three courses which if you're running 9mm will be another ~$400 - $500.00 in expense and that will get more expensive if you are shooting .40 or .45. So while TDI by all accounts is one of the most recognized training facilities around, you need to be prepared to invest north of $1000 for the training.
Actually, even though they still publish that 1800 round figure, they don't adhere to it. Their standpoint is that you should shoot as much as you feel comfortable with. They don't focus on your round count as much as they do your technique.

My class had some beginner shooters, so I stepped off the line a little more frequently to give them more time shooting if they wanted. By doing that, I was just slightly over 1,000 rounds for the weekend.

That said - TDI is certainly something most will have to plan into their budget.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;