Stop stressing about stance

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ApexShootingTactics

Stop stressing about stance

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

At the end of the day, sight picture and trigger control are what matter. In this 3 minute video I prove why. Worry about proper sight alignment and trigger control first.

http://youtu.be/g2vrWx-sQk8
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
Brian D.

Re: Stop stressing about stance

Post by Brian D. »

Got a drill for you to try out, and video too if you like: At the range my group shoots at, we do some walking starts, in a couple different ways. The simplest is to have the shooter start at the left or right edge of the range and move towards the other side. At some point after the first step, the operator will hit the timer button. The other is of my creation and I think it's pretty good: We have the shooter start by circling a round table ( a three foot diameter hose spool, to be honest) and at some point after a lap or three the timer will be beeped. Simple as that may seem, it keeps the shooter from "dialing in" their stance ahead of time. My gang was cynical, cruel to me even, about this one until we gave it a whirl.

You might like to play "Pop Goes The Weasel" as background music if you decide to recreate this one for viewing. :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I want the names of those guys that were cruel to you.... :wink:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

That drill sounds like fun, Brian D.. Pop Goes the Weasel really takes it over the top! :lol:

------

@ ApexShootingTactics

OK, I *REALLY* liked that one.

I've seen many instructors use that drill to demonstrate the fundamentals, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone take it that far: not just in terms of distance, but also in terms of just how compromised the stance, presentation, and grip are. I've never seen Chris Cerino do that demo, does he take it that far, too?

Taking it that far really shows the importance of the sight package and trigger control.

Thinking back to when I first started, I wish I'd have known better and focused more on trigger control. You've said it before: building an intimate understanding of the trigger path is much less sexy than getting a stance or grip, but it's so, so important (this is not to overlook the sights, but it's painfully obvious that if the sights aren't aligned, the shot isn't going to go where the shooter wants it to, no matter what).

Thanks for taking the time to do the video. 8)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio