why "stock up/hoard ammo" ?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

soldier24

why "stock up/hoard ammo" ?

Post by soldier24 »

Just wondering why people buy 1,000's of rounds or 5,000-10,000 + rounds of ammo for each gun they own? If you are an active shooter I understand. If you are preparing for some up rising and have a 2nd safe house I understand for that can be a good place to stay save and be ok. Many people keep hundreds of thousands of rounds in their own homes. I wonder why? If TEOTWAWKI you won't be able to stay at home, the government will be looking for us (you) since they know you have guns, ammo etc. And what if you are in a position to fire upon police or government agencies? You differently won't be able to stay in your own home. I find if TEOTWAWKI you will need to be on the move and or living in a different safe house constantly on the move so you're not found. My main question is why have a HUGE stock pile of ammo? Wouldn't it be smarter to have a basic combat load? ( one or two pistols main rifle and enough ammo to fight and then move easier back to the save house?) . Even though the load payout will be different for what each person can carry and what firearm they carry if you are on the move or going into hiding? I find that most of the ammo will have to be left behind in the event if it's in your house or basement.

hopefully this made sense and I can get a better understanding on why people file their closets with ammo. I am not a "prepper and I don't have a stock pile". but I have enough ammo to move out with and to defend myself on the move.

thanks guys.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
--------------------------
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
JediSkipdogg

Re: why "stock up/hoard ammo" ?

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I have a pile because during the next ammo crisis, I want to be able to still shoot. I think last year I shot maybe 500 rounds all spring and summer because prices were sky high and reloading components were hard to find. I want to survive another recession of ammo and still go out and have some fun.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Mindbender14

Post by Mindbender14 »

Cost. Same reason I buy macaroni and cheese when it's on sale. :mrgreen:

ETA: Ammo rarely drops in price. We're seeing some drops now in 5.56 and 7.62 because of the rush during the panic of '12-'13.
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I have a pile because during the next ammo crisis, I want to be able to still shoot. I think last year I shot maybe 500 rounds all spring and summer because prices were sky high and reloading components were hard to find. I want to survive another recession of ammo and still go out and have some fun.
I can understand that. hopefully that won't happen any time soon. Most people I read about buying large amounts of ammo is because of government taking over or end of the world type stuff. :roll:
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I choose to so stockpile as it's simply my right as an American to spend and/or invest my money in any legal manner I choose.

My dentist stockpiles antique cars, and no one seems to care.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Zombies, you forgot about zombies!!!! :P
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

TSiWRX wrote:Zombies, you forgot about zombies!!!! :P
:P
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Billions of pixels have died in prepper discussion forums about TEOTWAWKI scenarios, what to prepare for, what disaster is coming, what precisely will or will not happen.

The only thing anyone can agree on is nobody can completely agree and many feel it's best to prepare for a wide range of possibilities.

Soldier24, you say you aren't a prepper but seem awfully confident about what exactly will happen if TEOTWAWKI. I wish I were as confident as you about what to prepare for. Would help me rest a whole lot easier knowing exactly what I can expect to happen in the future.
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

Klingon00 wrote:Billions of pixels have died in prepper discussion forums about TEOTWAWKI scenarios, what to prepare for, what disaster is coming, what precisely will or will not happen.

The only thing anyone can agree on is nobody can completely agree and many feel it's best to prepare for a wide range of possibilities.

Soldier24, you say you aren't a prepper but seem awfully confident about what exactly will happen if TEOTWAWKI. I wish I were as confident as you about what to prepare for. Would help me rest a whole lot easier knowing exactly what I can expect to happen in the future.

Not sure what TEOTWAWKI is? Also not saying I am confident as at. But I am confident enough to know I won't be carrying 5K rounds as I am going from place to place with survival gear if there is a war or zombies.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

That's the difference. If everything goes sideways, I'm not running into the woods, and living off the land. I'm going to hunker down, and deal with it. Ammo is good for my security; it's also trade goods. I don't intend to haul it - rather - I intend to protect it.

Just prior to Y2K, my staff and my peers were in a meeting. All these people could talk about was what they were stockpiling if the world ended at year’s end. When it was my turn to share, I told them, ” I said: Bottled water and ammunition.” When asked, I said, “ I like bottled water, and with ammunition, I was sure my next door neighbors would make a ham sandwich for me, if I asked…” Couple of my guys who were prior service, military, just grinned at me.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

I like having some for a rainy day.. whatever that may bring.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

Tweed Ring wrote:That's the difference. If everything goes sideways, I'm not running into the woods, and living off the land. I'm going to hunker down, and deal with it. Ammo is good for my security; it's also trade goods. I don't intend to haul it - rather - I intend to protect it.

Just prior to Y2K, my staff and my peers were in a meeting. All these people could talk about was what they were stockpiling if the world ended at year’s end. When it was my turn to share, I told them, ” I said: Bottled water and ammunition.” When asked, I said, “ I like bottled water, and with ammunition, I was sure my next door neighbors would make a ham sandwich for me, if I asked…” Couple of my guys who were prior service, military, just grinned at me.
Makes sense.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

soldier24 wrote:Not sure what TEOTWAWKI is?

"The End Of The World As We Know It."
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

At one time, way back in the 1970s and early 1980s, you used to have to register every box of ammo you bought. You'd go to the hardware store etc, buy a 50 pack or three of 22 LR and then sign the registry document (which was, in format, like signing a line on a form with 50 lines). So. your purchases were quite visible to anyone. And then show ID. No mail or UPS shipments. Not sure if there were overall purchase limits, but I think so.

I want to say the firearms act of 1986 dealt away with that system. But memory is a bit foggy...I wasn't a big shooter until the 1990s.

Many older people remember how fast GCA 68 changed the marketplace......
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
lar1

Post by lar1 »

what if all your neighbor has is ammo and water? You guys may have to get together and split the next neighbors ham sandwich. :D