why "stock up/hoard ammo" ?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: why "stock up/hoard ammo" ?

Post by TSiWRX »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now instead of ammo, people are gonna start hoarding pandas.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Here are some things to consider about TEOTWAWKI scenarios.

I just heard that we are soon to pass the 100 millionth NICS background check since Obama has taken office. While that doesn't translate into 100 million new individual firearms, that still equates to a majority of them being new.

Add this to the 300 million or so estimates of how many firearms previously thought to be in private hands in America and you have a sizable arsenal that must be taken into consideration in any potential scenario.

Keep in mind who owns the majority of those firearms and what beliefs they generally hold...

Keep in mind how many of them also carry or have carried firearms for the Government in some capacity.

While the Government can be a potential danger to the citizens (history proves this), I think, in America at least, have less to fear than what some might think...

We have the Second Amendment to thank for that.
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

I dunno about anyone else, I can only speak for me. But personally I buy a lot of ammo because of price. Not that I'm stocking up for the apocalypse or something like that.

Ammo, just like toilet paper is cheaper per unit when you buy in bulk. You can often save as much as 33% per round just by buying 1,000 rounds instead of 50.

Another reason, is that it never gets cheaper. I have a target number of each caliber I like to keep around, I may go over that if I find a good sale but I never let it get much under that. Just for a week or so between when I use it and when I replace it.

I'm still shooting 9mm ammo that has a sticker price of 9.99 per box of 50. This is brass cased stuff. I know that sounds like a story from your grandpa about the 30s, but I believe that stuff is from around 2007ish or so. The same box nowadays is more like 15.99. Probably by the time I get to shooting the ammo I'm buying now to replace the old stuff, it'll be over $20 per box.

This system does 3 things:
1. I get the best prices available when I do buy ammo.
2. The ammo I'm shooting, is much cheaper than today's ammo cost.
3. If there is an ammo shortage, I can ride it out and still shoot.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

It wasn't that long ago, before the Obama administration, where I was buying Wolf 9mm for $3.99 a box of 50. Call that less than 10 years ago....no grandpa needed.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member