why "stock up/hoard ammo" ?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

Re: why "stock up/hoard ammo" ?

Post by Tweed Ring »

I have no idea what my Liberal, anti gun ownership neighbors hoard.

I do know if I want a ham sandwich, and I ask them for a ham sandwich, they will give it to me.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I believe that "Buy Cheap & Stack Deep" applies to all sorts of commodities.
Mrs Price was amused and a bit mystified why I came home with four CASES of toilet paper one day- 160 double rolls.
I showed her that I had a coupon, which was doubled, and the product was on sale for a deep discount, and the store said if you bought ten the tenth one was free. And we got points that bumped us to the next tier of our bonus card program. So all told I got 4 cases of bogroll for about the cost of one case in this specific unique circumstance.
And you know what? We used all of that paper.

So far in my life I've been in times where I couldn't afford ammo, couldn't find ammo, and couldn't get any ammo at all. Since I started keeping a reasonable stockpile I am now able to ride out the market problems and shortages without having to be at WalMart at 5:30 in the morning waiting for them to unload the truck in order to get any ammo.

One could just stockpile their basic 'combat loadout' but what happened when you shoot that? And do you intend to practice your skills while waiting to use your 'combat' loadout?

My portfolio in ammo has done better than my portfolio in stocks, over the past ten years. In hindsight, I wish I had taken all my 401(k) money from ten years ago and just bought pallets of 22LR ammo and stored them. I would be a gazillionaire and ready to retire today.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Ammo doesn't go bad (when stored properly), and the price is only going to go up. I got burned by the 22lr shortage. Never again
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

soldier24 wrote: But I am confident enough to know I won't be carrying 5K rounds as I am going from place to place with survival gear if there is a war or zombies.
As with so many things, "Define the mission and you define your equipment needs."

If your mission is to be on foot carrying a heavy pack from one stronghold to another then you want a .22 of some flavor. Certainly something lightweight, both for the gun and the ammo, and compact. Mossberg 702 Plinkster, Ruger 10/22 Takedown, etc...

But what if your concern isn't zombies but rather large scale disruption of utilities and the possible civil unrest that can come with that? Think hurricanes on the east coast, for instance. You could be without power for a week plus. If some degenerates decide to take advantage of the situation and start looting I'd rather have a big case of shotgun shells or .223 than a brick of .22 LR on hand.

If you subscribed to the Glenn Beck-esque fear mongering du jour awhile back you'd have been wetting yourself over a possible EMP attack. In such a case you'd want the more common calibers (9, 40, 38, 45, etc) as barter for use with folks who have guns but need ammo to stuff in them. Booze is always a good commodity for such TEOTWAWKI events, too.

What if your favorite gun is in an oddball chambering? Think .327 Mag, .35 Whelen, .44 Russian, .45 GAP, .480 Ruger, et cetera? Whether or not you reload you'll still want to buy ammo for that every time you can find it. There's no telling when you'll find more.

It seems like you have a very narrow definition of TEOTWAWKI. I encourage you to broaden your view of disaster.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Morne wrote: But what if your concern isn't zombies but rather large scale disruption of utilities and the possible civil unrest that can come with that? Think hurricanes on the east coast, for instance. You could be without power for a week plus. If some degenerates decide to take advantage of the situation and start looting I'd rather have a big case of shotgun shells or .223 than a brick of .22 LR on hand.
^ Zombies aside, that, I think, is where the biggest difference lies - to me, bugging-out is not going to be the same as bugging-in.

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/12/23/w ... koreatown/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ And for to satisfy TOS, here's what that article is about -

Given the choice, I'd go with the wife's thinking - have the ability (and this includes the bankroll) to simply leave: that the best defense is to just not be there.

But if I/we cannot - as in the case of a natural disaster or civil unrest that moved rapidly enough that it out-paced our ability to leave?

There's a lot of different scenarios that can play out.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Allen....you can come over to my house. I have a really nice smoker and you are a pretty big guy. How does that dog of yours taste? :lol:
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Sig1144

Post by Sig1144 »

Mr. Glock wrote:How does that dog of yours taste?
Worst plan ever.

This is why you should stock ammo and a ham sandwich.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Mr. Glock wrote:Allen....you can come over to my house. I have a really nice smoker and you are a pretty big guy. How does that dog of yours taste? :lol:
I've already got plans for him - can you say "Stir Fry?" :P :lol:

Hey, I'm Chinese, OK? :P
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Sig1144 wrote:
Worst plan ever.

You are right, I'd eat Allen first. The dog is for when I'm really desperate.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Mr. Glock wrote: You are right, I'd eat Allen first.
Gives a whole new meaning to "Chinese food," don't it? :!:

If I come over to your place, does that count as Chinese food delivery? :?:

Remember, Pandas are endangered! :lol: I wonder how nutritious something that eats bamboo all the time can possibly be?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

^^^ No MSG.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Mr. Glock wrote:
Sig1144 wrote:
Worst plan ever.

You are right, I'd eat Allen first. The dog is for when I'm really desperate.
You'd be hungry 20 minutes later.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Allen, dog, maybe a little bubble tea and a fortune cookie....I'm ready for the zombie hordes, Hong Kong-style. :mrgreen:
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

PS Pandas have the ultimate gluten-free diet.....