TDI Snubby Class

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Dave Shooter

TDI Snubby Class

Post by Dave Shooter »

Took the snubby revolver class at Tactical Defense Institute last Thursday and Friday. Some observations:

There are no prerequisites for this class so there was a wide variety of experience level in our class. We had several folks who were retired, a geologist, an airline pilot, two EMTs, an engineer, and others. There were two ladies in our class, one a widow and the other there with her husband. She was clearly apprehensive about being there at first and was not comfortable. The staff worked very patiently and professionally with her to get comfortable sending rounds down range and before long she was running drills with everyone else.

There was one 22 Mag revolver in the class with every other student running some variety of 38 or 357. We were encouraged to try different guns and gear and techniques that we were shown. Several folks finished the class with different guns than they started with when they discovered they just worked better for them. Mr. Benner personally loaned out his mother's revolver.

I used S&W BG38 and it worked fine with one glitch. I'd gotten a blister on my trigger finger and wrapped it in Moleskin. On one of the subsequent drills I got a bang, then nothing nothing nothing. The moleskin was fluffy enough that it loosened up and got wedged above the top part of the trigger and prevented it from fully resetting. I replaced the moleskin with tape and had no more problems. Not the gun's fault, but something I was glad to find out in a training environment.

I used a pocket holster, pants pocket the first day and coat pocket second day (rained much of Friday). Most folks used some sort of belt holster, but for me anyway I'd use a semi auto if I can conceal a belt holster and the pocket is likely where I'll summer carry. Couple takeaways I got from doing that: it's slower draw than from belt holster if you start with hands outside of pocket but faster if you can have hand on the gun. Of course firing from inside a coat pocket is the fastest of all. We did fire from inside garments to see what it felt like; nothing caught on fire.

The volume of fire is intentionally slower than it could be as TDI has found the little guns get really hot, to the point of burns, if run hard.

Everyone enjoyed the live fire scenarios and force and force and getting to watch how others handled the scenario was really useful.

The sidebar discussions throughout both days were some of the best reasons for attending.

My first full up class at TDI, definitely glad I attended.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: TDI Snubby Class

Post by TSiWRX »

Dave Shooter wrote:Took the snubby revolver class at Tactical Defense Institute last Thursday and Friday.
Definitely a class I need. :oops:
I used S&W BG38 and it worked fine with one glitch. I'd gotten a blister on my trigger finger and wrapped it in Moleskin. On one of the subsequent drills I got a bang, then nothing nothing nothing. The moleskin was fluffy enough that it loosened up and got wedged above the top part of the trigger and prevented it from fully resetting. I replaced the moleskin with tape and had no more problems. Not the gun's fault, but something I was glad to find out in a training environment.
Yup - since this isn't gun-specific, it's worth remembering any time any shooter has a Band-Aid or the like on their trigger (and their support-side index finger as well) finger.
We did fire from inside garments to see what it felt like; nothing caught on fire.
That was my initial worry, too. :D
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I've always been intrigued by this class. But I rarely carry a snubbie, preferring small autos.

As such, a lot of small autos are not built for high round counts. Hence, no Keltec /Ruger 380 class, I guess.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Mr. Glock wrote:I've always been intrigued by this class. But I rarely carry a snubbie, preferring small autos.
I don't use mine as a primary, but I'd still love to know how to run it better. :)
As such, a lot of small autos are not built for high round counts. Hence, no Keltec /Ruger 380 class, I guess.
I wonder if that will change - that maybe there will be more technique/marksmanship focused classes with lower round-counts, given the ever-increasing popularity of smaller autos in the .380 chambering.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Non-high round count classes aren't all that popular with students, in the training world, and it is a business at the end of the day.

And I'm as guilty as anyone...it's hard to know if training is any good before you take a class, so you choose...but the student may not know what teacher they need prior a class
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Agreed, in both cases.
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Mr. Glock wrote:Non-high round count classes aren't all that popular with students, in the training world, and it is a business at the end of the day.

And I'm as guilty as anyone...it's hard to know if training is any good before you take a class, so you choose...but the student may not know what teacher they need prior a class
FWIW I fired about 480 rounds over the two days.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

I think a subcompact semi-auto course would sell out really fast. Super-small semis have similar differences to their big brothers that snubby revolvers do to service sized guns. Any fool, even me, can run a G17 but a tiny single stack with only two fingers on the grip is a lot harder to handle.

FWIW, here's my review of the snubby class:
Morne and the snubby
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
mreising

Post by mreising »

I agree, it as a good class. Point of clarification, there were two geologists although I don't really practice any more. :wink: .
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.