Tactical Training Shooting Range

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Southwest134

Re: Tactical Training Shooting Range

Post by Southwest134 »

We are in the design phase of this venture and I'm hoping to gather the feedback of the local firearms community, those that would be perspective customers, to inquire what physical features should be incorporated into our designs.

We are in the process of determining a location and the physical design, layout and features of the facility.

We are trying to be receptive to the community whom we will serve, to gather their input to allow us to better serve their needs.

From an administrative and safety standpoint, since our facility is planned to be an advanced training facility, we would not allow the general public to just come in and use the advanced facilities without direct RSO supervision. The shooting lanes (rifle/pistol) on the other hand could be open to the public or on a membership basis.

Our goal is to provide the advanced firearms training course offerings WITH the physical facilities of the advanced features needed to support those courses AND be located near the Central Ohio Area, to allow all those persons to have a local outlet for such advanced training oppertunities.

We feel (and hope) that there is a student base that desired such advanced training courses WITH a facility that HAS the advanced features to support such courses. Specifically, we would focus on reality based training (RBT) scenerios and training that would be geared towards the everyday carry (EDC) permit holders.

My previous response was via my smartphone, so I was limited as to the depth of my response at that time. I hope that we continue to collect the input of the local firearms community, to better allow us to develop and design our facility to cator to the needs and desires of our area. Additionally, we would also like to host events, such as IDPA, Steel Challenge, 3-gun and also special training courses from national presenters such as Rob Pincus.

Again, I lookforward to all input and constructive suggestions.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Without giving away the proposed location, can you tell us how long of a drive it might be from downtown Columbus?

It's about 2 hours to get to TDI, for comparison.
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Who are your instructors?

What I see is you want to build the next TDI in the Midwest. But you won't be a TDI without the level of experience their instructors have. Not everything I agree with from them, but from an overall view, they are hard to beat without flying somewhere far away.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Southwest134

Post by Southwest134 »

Depending upon what location we choose, probably within 45minutes to 1-hour drive from the Columbus area.

As for instructors, we use various instructors with exterience in their given expertise field and through combonation of instructors, it allows us to present the material from various perspectives.

Part of being an excellent instructor is being able to RELATE the material to the student, so that the student makes a connection with the material and it just "clicks" for the student. There are various teaching styles and students have various learning styles, we use various instructors to allow for a more diverse presentation of the material for an effective learning experience for the student. Directly relating the material to the student and allowing the student to physically participate in the learning process through physical activities designed to allow the student to constructively apply the material and then review their responses and application of the material and then make any corrective alterations by the student allows for a much better learning experience in my opinion.

I will say, that I myself, an an instructor for various other topics outside of the firearms field and I do teach in multiple different fields, these combonations allow me to have aquired a diverse experience of student/instructor learning/teaching methods. Given my experiences, this is why my facility takes this approach to instruction of our courses and we will continue this method with out advanced training facility. In this specific thread, I don't wanna go off-topic and discuss our courses, course content or methods of instruction, but I did want to provide a response to the question about who we would be using as instructors.

As you pointed out, our conceptual and proposed designs may be likened to TDI, however our course material throught the instruction/application methods will vary from TDI and any other liken types of already existing training facilities.
medmandan

Post by medmandan »

Northwest Ohio has nothing remotely close to this..just saying lol.

I would hope you would have medical staff available with proper protocols and equipment for any unfortunate events as well.

Dan
Southwest134

Post by Southwest134 »

Yes, our staff has already covered that topic and also comprises of persons in the medical field also
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Please consider some training in low light/no light conditions. It really makes a difference. Good luck on your new venture.
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

I like everything I have read so far and agree with the suggestions. Definitely sounds like something I would take advantage of as I have not gone to TDI yet and they fill up so fast. With that in mind, would like to see popular classes offered more often so one can actually get into a class instead of waiting a year. Right now that is keeping me away from TDI. They are so popular they are losing potential clients like me.

I lack the disposable income to risk scheduling a year or two out and not be able to go to the class because my life lacks some needed stability right now. Scheduling a month or two in advance helps.

David
Southwest134

Post by Southwest134 »

Yes, we will offer more courses and popular courses will be offer more often.

We will be opening a seperate post regarding our course offerings and student input once we get closer to finalizing our physical facility design and have a good idea of what physical capabilities our facility will have in place to use for courses. I'll post and advise when we open a discussion regarding courses.

We are going this route of design/build our own facility, because some of the course offerings we have now require alot of scheduling to setup and coordinate since we have to arrange things for a specific course, so having our own facility will be best, both for our instructor staff and also for students. Our our facility will allow us to streamline our operations and not have to worry about securing an outside venue to holst a particular course/topic, such as our force-on-force courses and the vehicle shoot scenerios.
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

What kind of time frame are you looking at to opening day?

David
Southwest134

Post by Southwest134 »

not yet, we are still in the design/layout phase and have to determine a location.
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

Southwest134 wrote:not yet, we are still in the design/layout phase and have to determine a location.
Gotcha, too early. NP

Looking forward to hearing more.

David
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Flhrci wrote:I like everything I have read so far and agree with the suggestions. Definitely sounds like something I would take advantage of as I have not gone to TDI yet and they fill up so fast. With that in mind, would like to see popular classes offered more often so one can actually get into a class instead of waiting a year. Right now that is keeping me away from TDI. They are so popular they are losing potential clients like me.

I lack the disposable income to risk scheduling a year or two out and not be able to go to the class because my life lacks some needed stability right now. Scheduling a month or two in advance helps.

David
Don't get me wrong - I know exactly where you're coming from, in-regards to scheduling. Ask anyone here who knows me, and they'll tell you the same. It's really one of my biggest problems now, at this point in my life. :oops:

With that said, TDI's schedule is actually quite extensive. Look at some other training outfits/schools - this kind of popularity for good instructors/schools is not at all uncommon. I have little doubt that should Southwest134's proposed offering measure-up to expectations, that their schedule would book-out just as fast.

One thing to realize is that there's almost always a wait-list, whether it's publicized or not. The other is that you can usually pretty easily sell your seat - usually at minimal loss - even quite "last-minute." The latter is definitely still a risk, and I definitely won't blame anyone or look down at them for not taking it. Money ain't cheap! :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Southwest134

Post by Southwest134 »

OK, so far for a recap, I have received the following input from this post:

The desire for a facility to have the following physical offerings:
- "Shoot House"
- "Car Shoot" (to be able to conduct trainings to shoot FROM a vehicle)
- Office/retail establishment setup to practice scenerios
- low/no light shoot training
- more force-on-force training scenerios
- ability to change the layout/floorplan of a building using movable walls to enhance training
- ability to host Steel challenge, IDPA and 3-gun type competitions
- combonation of covered/open air pistol & rifle lanes

Any other input from anyone else of what PHYSICAL characteristics/facilities they would like to see? I ask for everyones participation and input to help us measure the desired things that "customers/students" would like to see an advanced training facility offer along the lines of the physical facilities. Without the input from others as I am asking for, then we can only proceed in our design/layout with what "we" think is the best offerings, so I ask for the input from our perspective "students/customers" of what THEY want to see so we can take that into consideration.

I am keeping a "rolling tally" of the popular items and checking off those that get mentioned here that match up to the list of items that we compiled in what we want to see, so keep your input coming!
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

One other thing I could think of is offering for sale items that a student might need that they don't have. Not a full-service gun shop, but maybe a small ammo supply and possibly things like slings or magazine pouches. You all would know that better than I what students may not have in their kit or maybe just have some things available for loan. I really don't want to buy a plate carrier/tactical vest for a one or two time AR course for instance. Borrowing/renting one would be cool.

David