Ohioans For Concealed Carry's 10th Annual Fun 'n Gun

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Ohioans For Concealed Carry's 10th Annual Fun 'n Gun

Post by sd790 »

I'm signed up for this and excited to go to my first OFCC Fun 'n Gun in about two weeks. If you have been there before, can you please share what the previous events have been like? How many people, how many groups, how many instructors, what are the drills, and most importantly what is for lunch?

I'd love to hear about your experiences.

(Also, PM me if you want to carpool from the Hilliard/Dublin/Delaware area.)
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Brian D.

Re: Ohioans For Concealed Carry's 10th Annual Fun 'n Gun

Post by Brian D. »

I've been at all of them, as a range safety officer/squad leader. Have you been sent any sort of e-notice with details after signing up? That usually contains many of the basics, and would spare myself and others here a good bit of typing in reply.

About half the stations will be IDPA-type stages. The rest will be such things as:

-- A force-on-force station in which you'll bag your firearm, ammo, knives, etc. in exchange for an airsoft handgun replica. Then you'll take on the similarly "armed" role playing bad guys inside the F-o-F House in one or more scenarios, depending on how much time is available.

--Steel shooting at knockdown 8 inch plates, that one burns up a lot of ammo if you desire.

--A group session in which all will receive some instruction on draw/re-holster, aiming in, short strings of fire on person sized steel targets, reload technique, etc.

Before any of this starts, right after you sign in, your equipment and basic handling skills will be checked at the main firing line. That will require a verified-empty firearm. (And two empty magazines if it's a semiauto.)

We'll be glad to answer more questions, but hopefully the e-flyer will contain much of the needed information.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

Thanks Brian. That is some useful info. I received an email with this info but nothing more:
Regarding the upcoming event, here is a checklist to help ensure you have the best possible experience.
• Handgun (a spare is a good idea too)
• 150-200 rounds of ammo minimum. (Steel plates like to eat ammo, so consider bringing more if you wish)
• Shoulder, cross-draw, ankle and off body holsters may not be used.
• Eye and ear protection
• The stages are spread out, so wear comfortable footwear. You should consider waterproof shoes/ boots as conditions may be muddy in places
• Rain coat, hat and other appropriate clothing to keep you warm and dry.
• Sunscreen if needed
• Lightweight lawn chairs my be beneficial if you need to rest or just want a place to sit while on the ranges

Participants need to arrive promptly the day of the event.
All participants will have to go through a brief vetting process in the name of safety. This is not a complicated process but your cooperation will help ensure we get through the necessary details to get the event started on time.

* Please arrive at TDI by 7:45-8am and immediately to go the Safety Check area BEFORE registering inside the classroom.
What you have shared is really helpful.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thank you in return. As part of the volunteer staff, I never get to see that e-flyer until maybe the day before the shindig.

By the way, going to the Safety Check area before registering is actually a new wrinkle, and probably a better method of doing things.

..And to answer your most important question: I never know what's for lunch that day until it's time to eat...think "catered picnic" as the general culinary motif.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:Thank you in return. As part of the volunteer staff, I never get to see that e-flyer until maybe the day before the shindig.

By the way, going to the Safety Check area before registering is actually a new wrinkle, and probably a better method of doing things.

..And to answer your most important question: I never know what's for lunch that day until it's time to eat...think "catered picnic" as the general culinary motif.
We're having watercress sandwiches this year.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

schmieg wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Thank you in return. As part of the volunteer staff, I never get to see that e-flyer until maybe the day before the shindig.

We're having watercress sandwiches this year.
Can I get mine minus the watercress? :lol:
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

I've gone to 2 Fun N Guns (2012 and 2013), and they are well run, run, and very educational. Group sizes are typically 6-10 people, plus 1 or 2 RSO's who run the scheebang. There's 5-7 stages setup, and you rotate through each throughout the course of the day.

Since this year's is at TDI, here's my experience from 2012:

Showed up, went through the safety check. This consists of un-holstering / un-casing your hand gun(s), unloading (if needed), and then showing clear. Fun N Gun is run as a cold range. No loaded firearms unless you're up to shoot. Once you go through the safety check, you get signed in, and everyone mingles in the meeting room until time to start. There's typically 10-15 minutes of announcements and a safety briefing.

Once that's over with, you get assigned your groups, and then it's out to go shoot.

My group started with the TDI instructors by the pavilion. We shot at human silhouette steel targets, doing various drills. We started with unholstering, present, reholster. Rinse, repeat. Then we moved to unholstering, fire 1 round, reholster. The instructors were always right there to correct and problems, and give pointers, and they are GOOD at what they do. We were shooting pretty close to the plates. I got nicked on the corner of my mouth by a shard. Make sure you have good eye protection.

After that, we moved to the Force on Force house. Here, you take off your gun, and any knives or anything else potentially harmful, and you get an airsoft replacement, along with a face mask. When it's your turn, you go inside, get the bejeebus scared out of ya, and then come back out and talk over what happened with an instructor. It's intense, and VERY, VERY educational. Going to Fun N Gun just for the Force on Force is (almost) worth the cost and drive.

After that, we ran a few IDPA-type stages, just as a group.

And then we got to the plate rack. Bring plenty of ammo for these guys if you like shooting steel (I do). There were 2 TDI instructors at the plate racks (2 racks). 2 people got to shoot at a time, and 2 other people pulled the ropes to reset the targets. The instructors were there to give tips/pointers/help if you wanted it. If you didn't want their help, that's fine too. However, you would be rather stupid NOT to take their advice. I think i burned through ~200 rounds just on the plate racks along.

There's also a few shoot houses, where you get to practice shooting while moving through an enclosed space.

Bring more ammo than you think you're going to shoot. Those plate racks just LOVE to eat ammo. TDI is fairly spread out, so you're going to have to carry everything you're going to need. There's a break for lunch, and that's a convenient time to swing by your car and restock on ammo. Bring 2 mags (more if you have them). You'll need a holster ( types not allowed are listed above).
I've had consistently good results with ether.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

Thanks for the great write-up Bianchi?! This certainly sounds like a humbling and educational day.

I'm going to bring more ammo than I think I could possibly use, then use it all up there. This sounds like a fun time with some great experiences to be discovered. I am especially looking forward to FoF house, like a teenager kid getting ready for his first date football game.