F.A.S.T. Training Method - any one use it?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

F.A.S.T. Training Method - any one use it?

Post by Stryker74 »

I had seen this before, and had not really focused on it much, but a Facebook post brought it back to my attention.

F.A.S.T. (Fundamentals, Accuracy, and Speed Test) method consists of a target at 7 yards away, The "torso" is an 8 inch circle, while the "head" is a 3"x5" card. From a relaxed stance (arms at your side), you draw, fire 2 shots at the "head" and then 4 shots at the "torso".

http://pistol-training.com/fastest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had not focused much on this in the past, as I just don't try for "head" shots when I shoot. I normally try to put as many shots as quickly as I can into the "torso", as it is the largest section (and what you are most likely to hit in a stress/defense situation).

But, in the terms of training, I can see where the aspects of this can be beneficial. The accuracy needed for 6 quick shots in small areas in a short period of time (a few seconds) can do a lot for muscle memory/control. So, I thought I would put it out here to see what others think - is it worthwhile, even if you don't plan/try for "headshots" normally?
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Re: F.A.S.T. Training Method - any one use it?

Post by Brian D. »

Sure, improving speed and accuracy by pretty much any sort of practical means is always good. Lots of good drills out there, makes sense to try a bunch of them over time, doesn't it? We just need to keep switching it up, because a natural (lazy) tendency is to focus on repeating the things we're already good at.

Good example for me was yesterday, finished up with my group by doing an 'El Presidente' drill from the early days of IPSC. Its focus is measuring shooting and reloading skills, not an exercise in good tactics, because you stand in one spot and deliver a total of twelve rounds into three targets, with a speed reload halfway through. We do it maybe one week out of three or four. Sometimes it's the last exercise of the day, other times we run it right out of the gate. I happened to hit the draw and reload pretty fast, plus drilled heck out of the target centers at about my best possible speed. Hence I smoked all my friends, which feels good, and rarely occurs.

But, that was yesterday....next time we do it, who knows? That's just one exercise on one sunny day. The most positive take-away from that was the fact it was done from concealment, using the same gun and gear that's on me this afternoon.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Remember that the FAST is not supposed to be a drill - it's supposed to be a test, and taken cold, at that.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/6427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not calling you out to scold you, Stryker74, just to point it out, that's all. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I left some things out earlier, sorry!

(Wait, y'all didn't think you'd get that short of a post from me, did you? :P )
Brian D. wrote:Sure, improving speed and accuracy by pretty much any sort of practical means is always good. Lots of good drills out there, makes sense to try a bunch of them over time, doesn't it? We just need to keep switching it up, because a natural (lazy) tendency is to focus on repeating the things we're already good at.
I think this is huge - just doing things we're good at really doesn't do much. :) Sure, you'll want to end a session on a positive note, but you'll definitely also want to explore areas which you've not gone before, so that you can find those failure points and push through. :)
The most positive take-away from that was the fact it was done from concealment, using the same gun and gear that's on me this afternoon.
This is tremendous, too.

I really cannot over-stress this point.

I try to shoot from concealment - in my usual street clothes and with my usual carry setup - as much as I can. The only exception I make to this would be for safety - going from concealment introduces another level of complexity in the draw and re-holster strokes, and should not be taken lightly. For example, if I'm headed to a class/instructor whose syllabus calls for techniques which I'm already not as comfortable with, I'll go OWB from an open-top setup just so that I can focus specifically on the techniques being taught instead of having to worry about how to do it from concealment (unless, of-course, the purpose of the class is specifically to work everything from-concealment!).

But to get back to Stryker74's OP -

I think what makes drills like the FAST (I know, I'm calling the FAST a "drill" here :oops: :P ) difficult is that it requires a distinct break in your cadence-of-fire: that you can go from blasting away in a fast and relatively easy manner to have to really get exacting. I know that many here have already seen this video of me shooting at a class a couple of summers ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAP2dfwn ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steel were TacStrike Quarter-Scale units (http://tacstrike.com/STEEL-TARGETS/1-4- ... ystem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Paper was VTAC (http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-dstt-10.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

10 (5 shots each, steel and paper) reload 10 (again, 5 each).

All you had to do was to ring the steel. For the paper, only shots in the "eye box" of the VTAC counted:

^ That's only the upper third of that head A/+0 box.

You had to have a clean run - no misses - in order to have your time count-in towards the bragging-rights contest. I missed one on the far right paper. "Did he have one miss?" says Costa at time-point 0:36. :x :oops: :cry:

That change-up in the BSA template really screws with ya. :lol: Sure, the FAST drill reverses that BSA template, but it's really the same thing, isn't it?

And the reload will screw with you, too. Bill Holcomb of Three Tango Firearms Academy (http://www.threetango.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) was the one who cured me of dropping shots after the reload. His advice to me at the time? That I was just rushing it a little too much after the reload. It's a mind game.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

After my previous post in this thread today I spent some online time looking for good shooting drills. What I was able to find in less than half an hour was more than enough to keep me busy trying "new to me" drills for at least the next several months. And I've been at this longer than many, so there were also at least as many things I already knew/had forgotten about, plus the stuff that's in my regular repertoire and still useful. In moments like this I manage to, at least briefly, stop cursing technology and give it a hug.

Hell I'm no where near computer-savvy, somebody better at the search itself could compile practically a lifetime of good drills in less than a day.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Brian D. wrote: Hell I'm no where near computer-savvy, somebody better at the search itself could compile practically a lifetime of good drills in less than a day.
Be careful what you ask for Brian! :mrgreen:
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

TSiWRX wrote:Remember that the FAST is not supposed to be a drill - it's supposed to be a test, and taken cold, at that.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/6427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not calling you out to scold you, Stryker74, just to point it out, that's all. :)
Nope - no offense taken. I know well that there are better than me on these matters, and I can accept correction!
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I'm far from better :oops: - those who've shot with me can attest to my less-than-stellar performance for the number of years I've shot and my time/rounds behind the trigger :oops: . It's kinda like me driving stickshift or on the racetrack: I'm better at theory than at doing. :oops: I still bumble the heel-toe sometimes, and I can't always keep all four tires on the pavement. :lol: So, in light of that, the "correction" really isn't one, it's just a FYI so you can properly incorporate the drill/test (however you decide to use it) in your repertoire. :) I'm on the same path as you, bruddah!

A good guy from M4C.net compiled a rather extensive list of handgun and carbine drills. It's got some really good stuff, and he's given everyone he's sent it to permission to pass it along. If anyone here wants it, please PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll send it along.

If you prefer to go the route of self-discovery (which, as Brian D. mentioned, is half the fun :) ), start by searching for the big names: Vickers, Hackathorn, Defoor, Haley/Avery, Harrington, Redback One, Proctor/Way of the Gun, etc. They've all got their favorites and also "Standards" which they've evolved over the years they've been in this business. Similarly, places like Pistol-Training.com, BrianEnos.com, BenStoeger.com, and M4C.net offer a tremendous amount of insight.

Hope this helps!! :D
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

I usually run 3 FAST drills first thing when I go practice. I'm still trying to break 5 seconds. I'm close, but not quite there.

Another good test is Dot Torture (also on P-T.com). It analyzes your overall skills and will help you learn where you need to spend time.

Pistol-forum.com has some of the best overall content I've found anywhere on the net when it comes to pure shooting information.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog