HR 218 Retired LEO Requal

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Pilot92

HR 218 Retired LEO Requal

Post by Pilot92 »

Hi

Anybody know who/where does HR 218 Requal certifications for retired LEO's?

Thanks
JediSkipdogg

Re: HR 218 Retired LEO Requal

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I always thought that since one was required to have a department issue their ID card that they would require an actual police department to do it. I guess a non-PD trainer could do the certification and issue the certificate, but then some department would need to issue the ID card stating they are qualified and I find that hard to believe any department would do that.

Best chance is to call around and find a police department that is willing to do your annual qualification.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

There are instructors and other professional outfits what will do LEOSA requals. In Ohio, like many states, a department is required to issue a retired credential to qualified individuals. There is no corresponding requirement that the former agency do the annual requal, however. Likewise there is no requirement that one go to his/her former agency (or any agency for that matter).

One must show that in the past 12 months they have met "the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the former agency of the individual, the State in which the individual resides or, if the State has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State"

So as long as you meet the state standards for where you reside you're good. In Ohio that would mean finding an instructor who is OPOTA certified to instruct the handgun course of fire ... which I think is all of 25 rounds or something these days. My department has pushed beyond that so we're shooting about 50-60 rounds. This another reason why I :roll: when I hear the FOP's opposition to HB203 reducing the training requirements for a CHL. I'm yet to hear them complain about reducing the law enforcement qualification standards to virtually nil. In fact they're happy because ammo is more expensive now so this saves money. :roll: :roll:
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

It would help if we knew where you were looking geographically.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog