Cataracts and shooting.

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TJW815

Cataracts and shooting.

Post by TJW815 »

So I had my annual eye exam yesterday and the good Dr told me that aside from needing bifocals that I'm developing cataracts. Kinda young for it (30) but ah well is what it is

Anyone have insight as to what kind of impact it will have on my shooting and target acquisition as it progresses??
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Cataracts and shooting.

Post by schmieg »

TJW815 wrote:So I had my annual eye exam yesterday and the good Dr told me that aside from needing bifocals that I'm developing cataracts. Kinda young for it (30) but ah well is what it is

Anyone have insight as to what kind of impact it will have on my shooting and target acquisition as it progresses??
Probably very little until they get really bad. I just had cataract surgery on both eyes in August. I really hadn't noticed any problems until the last six months when I began having glare problems from headlights at night and noticing haloes around lights at night. After the surgery, I was surprised at the colors of various things. It was like I had previously been looking at the world through a dirty pair of amber colored sunglasses. My vision is better now with the artificial lenses than at any time in my life.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

He said that once they get bad enough the surgery will make my vision far better than I have ever experienced. Thanks Schmieg
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

TJW815 wrote:He said that once they get bad enough the surgery will make my vision far better than I have ever experienced. Thanks Schmieg
Don't know if you will have the same result, but I wore glasses until I had lasik and the cataract surgery resulted in vision better than the lasik provided.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

schmieg wrote:
TJW815 wrote:He said that once they get bad enough the surgery will make my vision far better than I have ever experienced. Thanks Schmieg
Don't know if you will have the same result, but I wore glasses until I had lasik and the cataract surgery resulted in vision better than the lasik provided.
Which lens did they implant?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
schmieg wrote:
Which lens did they implant?
Can't remember the make right now, but I got the single focus lens. The doctor said the multiple focus lenses really aren't that great yet - distance vision isn't as good and close up still often requires glasses. Before my lasik, I needed glasses to see distance, but I couldn't use them close up. After lasik, it was the opposite. Now I can see better at distance and close up, but I still need readers for very close or very fine work.
-- Mike

pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

schmieg wrote: Can't remember the make right now, but I got the single focus lens. The doctor said the multiple focus lenses really aren't that great yet - distance vision isn't as good and close up still often requires glasses. Before my lasik, I needed glasses to see distance, but I couldn't use them close up. After lasik, it was the opposite. Now I can see better at distance and close up, but I still need readers for very close or very fine work.
Yeah that is pretty much my vision now with lasik. Reading print requires the readers any closer than about 18".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

schmieg wrote:
He mentioned it being better than LASIK as well lol. I'm sure I'm a few years off from needing it though.

Eta: I have had horrible vision my entire life. Had four surgeries (first when I was two) to help correct the muscles already.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

I only had one surgery at age 5 to correct the muscles. It actually made things worse. It's better to wait until you're older for the cataract surgery though so your eyes are less likely to change after the artificial lenses are implanted. With Obamacare and reduced Medicare coverage, I imagine the chances of getting a second set implanted will be slim to none.
-- Mike