Paratus Academy

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Quack

Paratus Academy

Post by Quack »

knedrgr and I took a class with Daniel Shaw (Gunfighter Cast & Paratus Academy). It was Daniel's first civilian class since he retired from the Marines. It was part of a 2-day class with Paul Carlson (Safety Solutions Academy). Daniel noticed that what he was going to be teaching would be similar to the class that Paul had just taught. So overnight Daniel created a different training that he originally expected to do. The evolutions that we were doing were things that he was going to put together for his advanced classes. This class was filled with movement drills and the use of cover. The final evolution (in the photos below) tied all the skills taught together into 1 combined drill, and it all started with a 25+ yard sprint to the first cover position.

If you have an opportunity to take a class from Daniel, I would highly recommend it. There is a Warrior Summit http://www.warrior-summit.com/ coming up and Daniel will be teaching a Carbine class. I would love to take that, but i have to check me schedule.

Full AAR to follow.

1st cover position. You can see Daniel behind me calling out threats. We shot from behind cover anyway we needed and moved when we wanted. This drill was all about us putting the skills to use.

making my way to the 2nd cover position and shooting on the move.

2nd cover position

3rd cover position

Making the run to the 4th cover position

4th cover position
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Paratus Academy

Post by TSiWRX »

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. 8)

Moving and shooting is one of my weak points.

Can't wait for your AAR, and I'd definitely like to get out there with this outfit. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Quack

Post by Quack »

I got this photo sequence from Daniel. He said he was looking through the photo's and noticed that after I fired this shot, I was down below cover while the empty case was still in the air.

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Move like a Ninja, yeah! 8)
Quack

Post by Quack »

TSiWRX wrote:^ Move like a Ninja, yeah! 8)
that's exactly what I told Daniel. :lol:

Daniel:
I have an awesome shot of you shooting from cover, next shot is you dropping behind the cover, next your completely behind cover.
The cool part is the brass casing is in all three shots, showing how fast you got the heck back down after firing.

Me:
It's because us Asian's are all ninja's and stuff. LOL
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

And don't forget we all have our own noodle carts!!!

Damn, speaking of - my dad's Zhajiangmian really is pretty awesome........
Quack

Post by Quack »

Daniels reply to my ninja reply:
I just finished a bowl of rice with garlic stir fried beef broth and suriachi ground pepper source stuff on it.
In your honor
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Quack wrote:Daniels reply to my ninja reply:
I just finished a bowl of rice with garlic stir fried beef broth and suriachi ground pepper source stuff on it.
In your honor
You should try kim chi fried rice.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I'm of northern Chinese descent. We love our fermented stuff as much as our next-door relations. :lol:

Wifey frowns when I break out the Kimchi, though. :lol:
Quack

Post by Quack »

Videos of the last 2 evolutions of the day.

Box Drill
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vi ... 3929301023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the final drill
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vi ... 4416713208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

That looked like tons of fun. I can see where it would be as you said, a great ending exercise that incorporated all the skills of the day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Quack wrote:Videos of the last 2 evolutions of the day.

Box Drill
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vi ... 3929301023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the final drill
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vi ... 4416713208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOT criticism, merely a question on the last drill: Looked like you were having a difficulty with the reholster. Gear problem, fatigue, other?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Quack

Post by Quack »

Brian D. wrote:
Quack wrote:Videos of the last 2 evolutions of the day.

Box Drill

and the final drill
NOT criticism, merely a question on the last drill: Looked like you were having a difficulty with the reholster. Gear problem, fatigue, other?
that wasn't me. that was another student and this weekend was the first time he's ever taken a class.
It was probably because debris was in his holster, as he was having to clear stuff out when we were on the ground.
gotta love those RCS holster for their ability to keep junk in them. I know that TSiWRX had similar issues when we took the Costa class.
Quack

Post by Quack »

just watched it again and you can see him shaking his holster, so it was debris.

BTW, i run Blade-tech holster which have an open bottom and never have that issue ;)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay. (Anybody else think that "shaking his holster" sounds kinda funny? :mrgreen: )
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.