Slow motion speed drills?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Slow motion speed drills?

Post by NavyChief »

Huh? Well, with the current ammo shortage, that's what I'm thinking about doing. Gotta make every round - even every training round - count, right? So what do we need to work on? Draw stroke? Check. Sight alignment, stance and trigger control? Check. Mag change? Check. Situational awareness? Check.

My plan for the next range trip: Load two rounds in each of my mag's. Make ready. Draw, deliberately put two rounds on target, mag change, threat scan, holster. Repeat. Slowly and deliberately, until a box of fifty has been expended.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
wobblygoblin

Re: Slow motion speed drills?

Post by wobblygoblin »

NavyChief wrote:Huh? Well, with the current ammo shortage, that's what I'm thinking about doing. Gotta make every round - even every training round - count, right? So what do we need to work on? Draw stroke? Check. Sight alignment, stance and trigger control? Check. Mag change? Check. Situational awareness? Check.

My plan for the next range trip: Load two rounds in each of my mag's. Make ready. Draw, deliberately put two rounds on target, mag change, threat scan, holster. Repeat. Slowly and deliberately, until a box of fifty has been expended.

I like that idea. I went to the range this weekend and was able to do some real life drills. It was my first time doing anything outside of the standard shooting range lane practice (besides my CHL class). But I would practice a little like that, drawing, getting a feel for pulling the gun outside and not in my house where I practice unloaded.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

One thing that was pointed out to me recently - while this is a reasonably decent idea, even better is to mix up the number of rounds I put in the mag's. Don't get too used to just having two.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

...and use snap caps to simulate malfs...
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
diamondsun

Post by diamondsun »

Morne wrote:...and use snap caps to simulate malfs...
I've found that one to be good training too, especially if you have someone else load your mags. They can program in random failure malfunctions with snap caps.
To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.
Thug Hunter

Post by Thug Hunter »

NavyChief wrote:Huh? Well, with the current ammo shortage, that's what I'm thinking about doing. Gotta make every round - even every training round - count, right? So what do we need to work on? Draw stroke? Check. Sight alignment, stance and trigger control? Check. Mag change? Check. Situational awareness? Check.

I've been doing that for many years. It has made me a better shooter, and has greatly improved my magazine changes. I do it with both PD and military issued weapons. Actually, with everything I carry.

Usually, my first string of fire is fast to see how things are going. I then slow way down to smooth things out, then start working on speed.
"Luckily, I keep my feathers numbered, for just such an emergency."- Foghorn Leghorn

"You can't arrest somebody for that. The most you can do is mace him and let him get away."- Thug Hunter