22 rifle for tactical training

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CCIman

22 rifle for tactical training

Post by CCIman »

I have a weekend tact rifle course coming up in August.

Are there any gun choices for a reliable semiauto 22 rifle to take this course with? Given the costs with ammo, I can't see using my 223/556 to do this, and this course does not allow steel core (Russian) ammo.

About 1500 (min) rounds expected.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
JediSkipdogg

Re: 22 rifle for tactical training

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I would ask the instructor if they allow it. If you are talking about the TDI Tactical Rifle course I would cancel if you aren't going to shoot .223 or above. You will definitely not get the skills out of it if you are shooting 22 LR.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
HKJ

Post by HKJ »

If the instructor allows it, I think some of the .22 rifles would work well. The sig 522 seems pretty robust and some of the AR types like the smith 15-22 and Colt M4 22 seem to run well from what I have seen. If you are trying to learn the handling/manipulation skills, a gun similar to what you run would probably be best.
John McCreery
http://www.Ohioppt.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Suarez International Staff Instructor
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

I would say this:

If the 22 rifle you are going to be using is identical (or very nearly identical) in function to your main fighting rifle, then go for it as long as the instructor is okay with it. The important thing to me is functionality. You need a rifle that has the same levers, buttons, size, positioning, etc. For example, I have seen many people train with S&W M&P 15-22 (.22 LR) when their main rifle is a S&W M&P 15 (5.56) or similar.

If your .22 is a completely different model with safeties and mag releases and bolt levers in different places, then I wouldn't recommend it.

Just my opinion though.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

S&W 15-22 is nearly identical to run and I bought one specifically for this purpose (Back when .22LR was actually available and inexpensive).

The differences in operation that I've noticed:
1. The bolt release is ever so slightly in a different spot.
2. Magazines may be easier to insert in a hurry due to the taper at the top.
3. The charging handle will be slightly shorter with less resistance to operate.
4. There is no dust cover or forward assist (not that that's a deal breaker in my opinion).

Oh, and it will be lighter weight than a standard AR due to the polymer frame.

I don't think you could go wrong with this choice, other than the fact that .22 is so hard to find at a decent price or in quantity right now.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I prefer to run a CMMG adapter in my AR. Using the gun as it will be weight wise and all the modifications I have added. It may not be a tack driver at 100 yds but that isn't what the adapter is for...I have a nice old Mossy bolt gun for tack driving...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA