What should you do if involved in a shooting?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BobK

Re: What should you do if involved in a shooting?

Post by BobK »

This is what we've previously discussed on this topic regarding Massad's Ayoob's video on Personal Defense TV.

After a Shooting: Massad Ayoob's 5 critical points

It has always made sense to me, and that it the approach I intend to take if I ever find myself in that situation.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ayoob's points are great for when the police finally show up.

When I am involved in a shooting, I will:

Deal with the threat.
Call 911 as soon as I am safe.
Tell 911 I have been attacked.
Tell 911 I need an ambulance.
Tell 911 I want my attorney.
Give 911 my location and description.

Dealing with the threat and getting safe is job one. You have no duty to remain at the scene, you have a duty to retreat. Just be sure to call 911 when you retreat and return to the scene when they tell you to do so.

The first words out of your mouth should be that you have been attacked. The 911 operators are trained and should immediately queue up both a medical and police response.

Ask for an ambulance. If you say "I need an ambulance", it could mean for you, for the other guy or both. Leave it at that.

Ask for your attorney. You probably won't find any 911 operator that will call your attorney for you, but that does not matter. Since 911 calls are recorded, you are now on tape as having asked for an attorney. You should already understand why that is important.

If you are calling from a cell phone, make sure to figure out just where the heck you are so you can tell 911 where to find you. Give them a good and accurate description of yourself so the police can identify you, hopefully, as the victim. My driver license still says "Weight: 185". I would definitely change that 1 to a 2 when I talk to 911. :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I hate to do this but I have to disagree with MWSY on a few points.

When you ask for an ambulance they are going to ask who is injured. Please don't leave it at that. Advise your location AND the other party's last known location and the injuries of both. Failure to do so could cause loss of life by a delayed response. In both cases, the squad WILL NOT respond directly to either until police advise them the scene is secure and that they can proceed. They may also only send one squad when two is needed. Give more info than "I need an ambulance."

The second that I have to disagree is telling 911 you want an attorney. That serves absolutely no purpose. That info I can almost guarantee you will not be relayed to the officers on scene. Also, a 911 operator is not an LEO and therefore you aren't telling an LEO that you want an attorney. It would be no different than calling your mom after that shooting and saying you want to speak to an attorney. It's absolutely pointless. You are going to have to tell the officers on scene that as well.

Here's how it should go and I've seen three cases in Hamilton County in the last year that have gone this way and all come out great for the victim/shooter.

911: 911, where is your emergency?
Vic: 123 Main St in Cincinnati
911: Ok, what happened?
Vic: I was attacked by a male that broke into my house and I had to use my firearm in self defense.
911: Are you safe at this time?
Vic: Yes, I have exited the house and am down the road.
911: Where exactly are you at and is the other party still inside your residence?
Vic: I'm at 120 Main St and I believe so.
911: Do you need a life squad to check you out? (one is already going to be sent, this will advise a second should be sent or not)
Vic: Yes, just to check me out.
911: Ok, police and emergency personnel are enroute.
911: Where inside the residence did this occur?
Vic: This was in the upstairs bedroom, first room on the right.
911: What happened?
Vic: I was watching TV when an unknown subject broke into my house and came upstairs to my bedroom. I did not recognize the subject and used my firearm in self defense. (this is where you can either give brief or not, I personally believe giving extreme brief over total silence)
911: Is the firearm secure?
Vic: Yes it is, I have secured it in my holster on my hip.
911: Ok, please keep it there (we just say that, habit). Can you describe the subject?
Vic: White male about 35 years old wearing a black and grey hoodie.
911: Was he armed?
Vic: I'm not sure, it all happened so fast.

That's the short and all that would happen in less than a minute, probably less than 30 seconds. If you aren't still at the primary scene, we could care less what you are wearing. Every situation is different and part of me is looking forward to my first self-defense call and part of me isn't. The brief vs silence part is up to the individual. The reason I prefer brief over silence is it helps us out some and let's us know it's your house and gives us an idea if you knew the subject or not, if you did we can look him up as police are responding to see if they are familiar with him, if you didn't, then that's just the end of it.

I'll see if I can get ahold of any self-defense shooting calls. I know of three that occurred around my jurisdiction when I was working. I just can't remember dates or the exact streets so I'll have to do a bit of searching.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
BobK

Post by BobK »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Ayoob's points are great for when the police finally show up.
I think that is why he titled the segment "After a Shooting: . . . ." :mrgreen: :P
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Law of Self Defense

Post by Law of Self Defense »

Win.
http://www.lawofselfdefense.com
This message does NOT constitute legal advice.
ArmyMedic90

Post by ArmyMedic90 »

I would remain in the general area... Odds are you won't be the first person to call 911. If you're in an area where there are people out and about, one of them will probably frantically call 911 giving dispatch a description of you as the shooter. Even if you call dispatch directly after youre finished defendinding yourself, I wouldnt be so sure that the information you give to dispatch would even be relayed to the first responding hnit fast enough... No need for a BOLO to go out with your description when LEOs show up and you aren't there...

I would also reholster so the first responders wouldn't be as inclined to shoot the armed suspect when they arrive.
U.S. Army Combat Medic
Sworn LEO
Nationally Registered EMT
NRA Certified RSO
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Well my rough plan is to, after making sure the person is no longer a threat, scream: "In yo face! Yeeeeah!" And do a small victory dance. I may, or may not depending on the level of difficulty spike my revolver on the ground... Then ill begin canvassing the area for witnesses. Ergo: "Man, did you see that?! He was all blehblahblehblahblah and I was all blamblamkapowblam! That's what you get sucka! Ask me what time it is again!"

No matter what the circumstances, I will be singing "peanut butter jelly time".
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
suedenflames68

Post by suedenflames68 »

Gaspode wrote:Well my rough plan is to, after making sure the person is no longer a threat, scream: "In yo face! Yeeeeah!" And do a small victory dance. I may, or may not depending on the level of difficulty spike my revolver on the ground... Then ill begin canvassing the area for witnesses. Ergo: "Man, did you see that?! He was all blehblahblehblahblah and I was all blamblamkapowblam! That's what you get sucka! Ask me what time it is again!"

Thats whats in my playbook too. Except im going with MCHammers "cant touch this"

thanks for the chuckle
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Gaspode wrote:Well my rough plan is to, after making sure the person is no longer a threat, scream: "In yo face! Yeeeeah!" And do a small victory dance. I may, or may not depending on the level of difficulty spike my revolver on the ground... Then ill begin canvassing the area for witnesses. Ergo: "Man, did you see that?! He was all blehblahblehblahblah and I was all blamblamkapowblam! That's what you get sucka! Ask me what time it is again!"

I see you learned from the last time you tried to do that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inyIe1KQYdk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.