Do you ever practice with your "weak" hand?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Do you ever practice with your "weak" hand?

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Cruiser wrote:
Brian D. wrote:On the hearing protection topic, I try to keep a set of electronic muffs handy in the house. My hope is that there could be time to put them on during a break in, but cannot say with certainty that I'd remember to do so under such circumstances, especially if it happens while I'm sleeping.
Could having time to put hearing protection on during a self defense shooting be held against you in a hearing?
No more than grabbing a shotgun or AR when a pistol is available.
I keep a pair of electronic ear muffs right by my carry gun on the bed stand. I also keep a pair hanging on the AR that sits in the same room. That way I can pass a pair to my wife if we have to hole up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
Brian D. wrote:On the hearing protection topic, I try to keep a set of electronic muffs handy in the house. My hope is that there could be time to put them on during a break in, but cannot say with certainty that I'd remember to do so under such circumstances, especially if it happens while I'm sleeping.
Yep, I can see it now. Police arrest looney with gun and ear protection in home......as BG skips out the back door... :)
In my case that would be "BG jumps out the back window, breaking his leg in the process", Carmen.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
ArmyMedic90

Post by ArmyMedic90 »

Cruiser wrote:I have always thought that if one practices with his weak hand that you should not involve the strong hand. Simply that your strong hand/arm is likely to out of commision or you would not be useing the weak one!
What Cruiser said. Opota used to have shooters shoot around barricades with left and right hands in a two-hand high point. I always thought it was kind of silly because the only time I ever plan on using my left hand is if my right one is out of commission...

That being said, I try to train with my left hand (I'm right handed) once a week. I'm nowhere near as good but I can keep them in a 6-inch circle out to 7 yards pretty easily. Obviously not ideal... But that's what continuous training is for.
U.S. Army Combat Medic
Sworn LEO
Nationally Registered EMT
NRA Certified RSO