Feb 16 VSM AAR report

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Hedgelj

Feb 16 VSM AAR report

Post by Hedgelj »

Vickers Shooting Method Pistol Class
Instructor: Grant, VSM regional instructor for Ohio
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/ ... 8f257f.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We met and went over safety and what to expect from the class. Evidently, these classes were set up so that you could go to one prior to going to a Vickers level one class and kind of know what to expect and be ready for it. To take away some of the nervousness and potential fear of being the worst shooter in the group at a training.

The first thing we did was set up IDPA style targets with an NRA target on the “A” zone. The NRA target had an approximately 5 inch black zone with x, 10, and 9 rings and then outer rings of 8 and 7. We then did a 10/10/10 drill. From low ready, 10 shots in 10 seconds at 10 yards, cold, no warm ups for a score. Passing was a score of 90 or above in under 10 seconds. After we all shot, Grant asked if anyone passed and then said “Good” when no one had passed.

We then went through additional drills such as ball and dummy drills, tactical reloads, drawing from concealment, etc. It was a fluid class with questions or moments for training leading into the next point or points or drills. Some of the other tests were drawing and placing one single round in the head of an IDPA target in under 2.5 seconds from 21 feet, another was shoot 2 rounds in the A zone, and then tactical reload and one shot in a the head in some amount of time. Another drill dealt with placing all 5 of your shots in either a 2 inch vertical or horizontal line, first on your cadence and then in 10 seconds and then in 5 seconds. Another test was drawing from concealment and placing 6 shots in I think 6 seconds in a 9 inch circle from 21 feet. During this drill we had a major pistol malfunction.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/ ... 4c7a9a.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Glock 19 blew up when one of the shooters shot his 6th shot. The shot sounded different from the others. The magazine blew out, and he got rid of the pistol pretty quick. The shooter had been shooting TULA the entire day and Grant said it was the 2nd time he had witnessed TULA cause a catastrophic failure in a firearm. Thankfully the shooter was unharmed other than a pretty sore right hand. There is an entire thread dedicated to the firearm on M4Carbine found here. There is one slightly morbid aspect to the situation which is shown in this next picture. Post if you figure it out.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/ ... 7f9586.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So I didn’t pass any of the drills, and honestly I was probably in the lower end of the shooters there. I have never had so much fun while failing, nor have I learned so much. I would do this class again in a heartbeat and plan on it later this year and probably also taking the carbine class Grant offers.

Other things that I thought were great in the class was that when Grant would bring up a technique, or a piece of equipment he would go through the pros and the cons for them. For different types of pistols he suggested ways in which you could improve your shooting with that particular pistol. I was asking him about some different grips for my 1911 and he actually suggested I go to Ebay rather than his shop for a better price for what we were discussing.

Definitely a class act and a great class. I highly recommend it.
wkdravenna

Re: Feb 16 VSM AAR report

Post by wkdravenna »

I want to come, I love Coshocton... Smells like paper though. :D

So that's a "Kaboom" right ?
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Hedgelj

Post by Hedgelj »

wkdravenna wrote:I want to come, I love Coshocton... Smells like paper though. :D

So that's a "Kaboom" right ?
yup it was a definite kaboom

Not a squib from what we could tell because there were 6 holes in the target....
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Morbid aspect is his serial number starts with "TNT". :wink:
Hedgelj

Post by Hedgelj »

TJW815 wrote:Morbid aspect is his serial number starts with "TNT". :wink:
we have a winner!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

TJW815 wrote:Morbid aspect is his serial number starts with "TNT". :wink:
I'm not that familiar with Glocks and do not own any, but I wasn't aware they put the serial number on the slide - is that common? I don't recall seeing that on any of my weapons...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

I think that most firearms have serial # on the slide.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I've only ever seen them on the frame, and if I understand it correctly that is where it is required to be located by Federal law. That of course doesn't mean a manufacturer can't place it somewhere else in addition to the frame, I've just never seen it done before.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

JustaShooter wrote:I've only ever seen them on the frame, and if I understand it correctly that is where it is required to be located by Federal law. That of course doesn't mean a manufacturer can't place it somewhere else in addition to the frame, I've just never seen it done before.
My LC9 is just on the frame, my Xd is on the frame and barrel, my R1 is on the frame only, I guess glocks are goofy like that. Wouldn't know, never liked the way they felt in my hand so I never bought one.