Ohio + Utah in one class?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Ohio + Utah in one class?

Post by dynamike »

Any legality issues? I came across someone offering both (I can PM you) in the same 12 hour period.
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
Brian D.

Re: Ohio + Utah in one class?

Post by Brian D. »

Dunno the answer, but it makes me wanna do a polygamy/polylicensure joke.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I am not a Utah instructor but my understanding is Utah law prohibits offering it in conjunction with any other class.

Here is their instructor guide...

MINIMUM TRAINING CURRICULUM FOR CONCEALED FIREARM COURSES
If a certified instructor chooses to teach multi state permits, the Utah permit must be completed separately. This policy ensures the Utah concealed firearm permit course is taught in its entirety without intermixing different states interpretation of the laws and rules governed within. Please follow these statutory guidelines as you instruct!
I believe he may also violate Ohio law as the Utah class requires their laws be taught and I'm not sure how teaching Utah law meets....

(a) At least ten hours of training on the following matters:
(i) The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;
(ii) The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;
(iii) The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;
(iv) Gun handling training.
(b) At least two hours of training that consists of range time and live-fire training.

I believe teaching Ohio law you are working on (a)(iii) but teaching law from another state you aren't working on that. Very grey area, but IMO doesn't matter since doing all in one class you fail Utah requirements which make the Utah instruction invalid.

If you want, you can PM me their info or PM Utah directly. I don't like instructors that cut corners and violate state laws. Their contact info can be found on this page....

BCI - Concealed Firearm Permits in Utah
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

Thanks JediSkipDogg. I don't like it either. I shutter to think how many people can get caught up carrying on a license they thought was good only to find out it was suspended because the training didn't meet the requirements.
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
jcresjo

Post by jcresjo »

"If a certified instructor chooses to teach multi state permits (i.e., Florida, etc.)
the Utah permit must be completed first. This policy
ensures the Utah concealed firearm permit course is taught in its entirety without intermixing
different states interpretation of the laws and rules governed within"

http://packlegal.com/wp-content/uploads ... Course.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;