License renewal class

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ricks2524

License renewal class

Post by ricks2524 »

I need a competency certification for my second renewal. Anyone know where I can get one in the Cincinnati areas besides the new Point Blank Shooting Range ?
Rick
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Ruger P345
Proud member of OFCC
Member NRA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: License renewal class

Post by schmieg »

ricks2524 wrote:I need a competency certification for my second renewal. Anyone know where I can get one in the Cincinnati areas besides the new Point Blank Shooting Range ?
mreising, a member here, runs Little Miami Tactical. Send him a PM and he can get you set up.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

How long do you have before it expires? If it doesn't expire till after March 27 hold off and you wont need the competency refresher. Otherwise as said before get in touch with mreising. He'll take care of ya.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
ricks2524

Post by ricks2524 »

Mine expires on March 18th. I can't find anyway around it...
Rick
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Ruger P345
Proud member of OFCC
Member NRA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

ricks2524 wrote:Mine expires on March 18th. I can't find anyway around it...
It is valid for carry for 30 days after the expiration date. Of course, you have to factor in how long it will take for the renewal.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

I understand where your coming from on that. I'm sure mreising can help you ou then. You may ask him though and I think this would technically work. If not someone on here will be by shortly to correct me. Yours expires on Mar 18 the new law goes into effect Mar 27 so if I'm correct you can hold off till the 27th and simply renew using your expired license at that time. Althoguh this would mean that between Mar 18 and 27 you legally would not be permitted to carry concealed since your license would be invalid for those 9 days. Not that I'm suggesting doing anything illegal or anything that I wouldn't want to do myself as far as being without my gun for 9 days. 8)
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

ATGglobal wrote:I understand where your coming from on that. I'm sure mreising can help you ou then. You may ask him though and I think this would technically work. If not someone on here will be by shortly to correct me. Yours expires on Mar 18 the new law goes into effect Mar 27 so if I'm correct you can hold off till the 27th and simply renew using your expired license at that time. Althoguh this would mean that between Mar 18 and 27 you legally would not be permitted to carry concealed since your license would be invalid for those 9 days. Not that I'm suggesting doing anything illegal or anything that I wouldn't want to do myself as far as being without my gun for 9 days. 8)
This is incorrect. If his license expires on March 18, he can still carry until April 17 on the expired license. The question becomes, if he can renew on March 27, will the renewal time extend beyond April 17. That depends on which county he is in.
-- Mike

BobK

Post by BobK »

schmieg wrote:
ATGglobal wrote:Although this would mean that between Mar 18 and 27 you legally would not be permitted to carry ...
This is incorrect. If his license expires on March 18, he can still carry until April 17 on the expired license.
Schmieg is correct (of course). However, just to fill in the blanks:
R.C. 2923.126 (A) A license to carry a concealed handgun that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code ..... A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee’s license expires during which the licensee’s license remains valid.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
ricks2524

Post by ricks2524 »

The way I read it is if your license EXPIRE BEFORE the 27th then you need a certificate. I thought long and hard about waiting but decided not to take the chance. I will contact the local Sheriff's Office ( Butler Co ) beforehand
Rick
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Ruger P345
Proud member of OFCC
Member NRA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thomas Jefferson
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

ricks2524 wrote:The way I read it is if your license EXPIRE BEFORE the 27th then you need a certificate.
There's nothing in the revised statute that would indicate such; in fact, the way it reads, your license could have expired years ago and it's still good for a renewal with no additional proof of competency.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

ricks2524 wrote:The way I read it is if your license EXPIRE BEFORE the 27th then you need a certificate. I thought long and hard about waiting but decided not to take the chance. I will contact the local Sheriff's Office ( Butler Co ) beforehand
If you APPLY before the 27th you need a certificate of renewed competency. It has nothing to do with your license at all. The 27th deals strictly with the APPLICATION date. Walk in on the 26th to renew, need a certificate, go in 24 hours later, no certificate needed.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.